Skip to main content

Things I'd Have At My Bookish Party

I love this topic because even as an introvert, I miss socializing! The socializing I'm doing virtually is still (as usual) book-related: staying engaged with book blogs, Twitter, and Bookstagram, plus participating in my book clubs, two of which have moved virtual. I've also been attending online book talks, like the Quarantine Book Club from the Jewish Women's Archive. However, while a lot of this would work online, except the exchange of physical books, I would love to have a gathering to do some or all of these activities in person, when we can.

Happy Top Ten Tuesday over at That Artsy Reader Girl!

Things I'd Have At My Bookish Party

1. Book exchange

I'd invite people to bring books they want to give away and set up a table for people to leave and take what they want.

2. Book recommendations

I'd have a wall where people could put Post-Its with what kind of books they're looking for and a couple of their favorite books, and you could respond to others with personalized recommendations.

3. Book discussion(s)

People could share about books they've read or have specific discussions on books everyone in that group has read.

4. Poetry reading

People could read their own poetry or read their favorite poems. We'd have an open mic.

5. Author talk

Author talk could be in person, if lucky, or we could play a video or audio recorded interview with an author.

6. "Date with a book"

I love this idea where books are wrapped up and you have to choose based on a description instead of the cover/title/author.

7. Book-themed artwork and jewelry

Just around generally, people could wear book-themed clothes and/or jewelry, or people could bring some to sell or give away.

8. Lie-brary game

I actually own this game. It's like the Dictionary game, except everyone has to make up the first line of a novel and everybody guesses which is the real one. The person with the most votes wins each round.

9. Book trivia

We could have rounds of trivia based on different books, genres, or authors.

10. Book MadLibs

Famous lines or passages from books with bits cut out so we can fill in the blank.

Really excited for this party now! (Or is it secretly a private book festival?)

Comments

Lydia said…
That Lie-brary game sounds fun!

My TTT .
Book Madlibs would be so cool! I love that idea!
Judy Krueger said…
This Top Ten is making me happy today!
Lectrice Vorace said…
I'd totally attend this party. "Date with a book", Book Mad Libs, and Lie-brary seem like fun!
Here's my TTT list!

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Books I Loved But Never Reviewed

 Reviewed is a strong word. I've mostly stopped doing formal book reviews except for author requests and/or when I feel like it, but I usually give some description and or opinions of books I'm reading, usually multiple times, through weekly and monthly wrap-ups. I do find that it' s more difficult to review my absolute favorite books than books I either disliked or engaged with strongly on an intellectual rather than emotional level. For example, I rarely review poetry beyond "I loved it'" or "Meh." It's much easier to explain criticism of vocabulary usage or a plot device than explain how the book felt like a snug little snow globe. So, for this Top Ten Tuesday , I'm listing books that I loved, didn't give a formal review, and (I think) didn't discuss too much.  Books I Loved But Never Reviewed A Closed and Common Orbit by Becky Chambers Tess of the Road by Rachel Hartman We Are Okay by Nina LaCour The Broken Earth Trilogy by N.K. J...