Skip to main content

Weekly Wrap-Up

 Reading This Week (and Last)

  • Last week, I finished The Stars and the Blackness Between Them by Junauda Petrus. My husband bought me it for my birthday since it was on my summer TBR and I'm glad he did! Audre, a girl from Trinidad, is sent to live with her father in Michigan after her mother catches her en flagrante with another girl from their church. Mabel, from Minneapolis, where Audre lands, becomes her lifeline in her new American world. The story is told from the viewpoint of both girls. Audre speaks in Trinidadian English Creole and Mabel in Black English. Honestly, it's the first book I've ever read written entirely in these dialects, and I love it. As a "standard American English" speaker (realizing that the standard part of that is a myth; it's just another dialect), it was easy to understand for the most part, but I did have fun looking up some words I either didn't know or that were used in an unfamiliar way. It was altogether a captivating, thoughtful story, and I wish I had this kind of cultural and LGBTQIA content growing up. I realized while reading that when I was growing up, I didn't read or hear of a single book with a teen LGBTQIA protagonist. Definitely not in a positive way. It actually made me cry, because I and so many other people could have used this book growing up. I hope and believe books like these are more available to today's generation.
  • This week, I finished The Gilded Wolves by Roshani Chokshi. This book has been on my TBR for a while, and I actually have a copy because the library copy in my possession became unexpectedly waterlogged last March (still no idea how that happened) and I had to pay for it. However, despite the noticeable water stain, it's completely legible. I couldn't get into it at the time and left it on my shelf, a treat for a later moment. Well, I opened it last week, and suddenly, it flew by! I suspect that last March, I was not in the mood for a light romp, but it definitely fits the bill these days. An alternate history set in the late 19th century, but in a fantasy world where some people have the ability to Forge, essentially create or animate magical objects, according to particular affinities for, say, metal or plants. Some people also have "mind affinities," which is less fleshed out. Our protagonists are a five-person team led by Severin, outcast by the Houses of France, basically an elite cabal that hoards magical objects and guards the mysterious Babel Fragment (there are several) of Europe. The mostly lighthearted story about Severin's team's capers and heists of the order's objects takes several swings at colonialism; Severin and all his friends are colonial descendants; half Algerian-half French; half Filipino-half-Spanish, Southeast Asian etc. Recommended for a fun time, and looks like a sequel is coming soon!

Watched This Week (and Last)

  • I watched the entire second season of The Umbrella Academy in two days! My husband was like, don't even try to fool me, I know that came out yesterday! What can I say, I love this incredibly weird, magically powered family. Especially Klaus and Five. If you were a huge X-Men fan as a kid, or you like weird found family stories, this is your jam. Plus, so glad Vanya gets a better storyline this time around. 
  • After watching ALL of Charmed's nine seasons during quarantine, I started in on Netflix's new reboot with two Hispanic sisters and their African-American half-sister who shows up after their mother's death and all three discover they have powers. Honestly, I think the reboot is even better! It plays with themes and tropes from the original show, but it's totally its own thing that you could watch without ever having seen the original. The new show is of this time (well, pre-pandemic) just like the original shows was of the '90s-early '00s. 
  • I watched Married at First Sight on Netflix, and I was actually surprised how committed and mature most of the people on the show were. I was actively rooting for most of them, except the one guy who clearly was not committed and the poor woman they had paired him off with. It was definitely a few episodes longer than it needed to be, but definitely an interesting social experiment.
  • I just started watching The West Wing for the first time, and wow! I can't believe how good this show is right off the bat. It's like balm for my soul. 
Other Things
  • I did about five hours of meetings and trainings on Friday to get ready for the school year to start up. It's definitely going to be interesting. I'm actually excited and feel prepared to teach online, as opposed to last spring.


Comments

The Gilded Wolves came up when I did a search for books set in Paris at my library. I will add it to my Paris list and save it for next year's Paris in July, I think. Thank you for the review. It sounds good.

I remember well the time when there was a lack of books with LGBT characters. I can only imagine how hard it was for kids in that time, isolated, with no one to talk to, met with condemnation. Books help us so much.

Good luck as you step forward in your work. I hope it goes smoothly for you.
I too think it’s wonderful that books featuring LGQBTA and POC in a positive light are widely available now.

I love The West Wing, and I’m not even American.

Wishing you a great reading week
Judy Krueger said…
Both of the books sound great to me.
We have been watching Cursed on Netflix. I love it, my husband is being very tolerant-:)
I did not know you were at teacher. Good for you!
stacybuckeye said…
I've been wondering about Umbrella Academy. I'm always trying to find series that my husband and I will both enjoy so we'll have to check it out.
I haven’t heard of The Stars And The Blackness Between Them. It sounds unique and like something I have to read. Thanks for sharing it. Have a good week!

Aj @ Read All The Things!

Popular posts from this blog

Books with Single-Word Titles

Happy Top Ten Tuesday over at That Artsy Reader Girl! Books with Single-Word Titles These are all my favorite books that I could think of with one-word titles. A lot of fantasy, a few nonfiction (minus subtitles) and Kindred , whether you consider it scifi or historical fiction. Also two portmanteaus using the word "bitter." I suppose it's a word that lends itself to amelioration. 1. Sweetbitter by Stephanie Danler 2. Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore 3. Fire by Kristin Cashore 4. Heartless by Marissa Meyer 5. Inheritance by Christopher Paolini 6. Meditations by Marcus Aurelius 7. Stoned by Aja Raden (has a subtitle) 8. Educated by Tara Westover 9. Fledgling by Octavia Butler 10. Kindred by Octavia Butler

Feliz Ano Nuevo!

Speaking of cultures and society, I leave for Spain on January 9. Instead of continuing as a book blog with a specific goal for number of books to read in a year, Space Station Mir will become a chronicle for my adventures in Spain. Expect a post for each new place that I visit, with pictures! I also plan to continue reviewing books, however I will not make a set goal for number of books to read this year. I do pledge myself to read at least one book in Spanish that was not assigned for a class. In terms of my goals for 2009, I was not diligent enough in keeping track of them. Looking back, I've fulfilled some of them and not others. The greatest trend in my reading this year, which marks a huge deviation for me, is that I've read more non-fiction than I think I've read any other year in my life. I've finally developed the ability to sustain interest in non-fiction other than biographies. For a while, biographies were the only non-fiction I ever read, with the exception

Most Recent Books I Did Not Finish

 I feel like I've been DNFing a fair amount lately, mostly with review books. I feel obligated to read review books longer than I would if they were books I just picked up on my own. That said, I have a caveat in my Book Review Policy  that if I feel I am not the right audience for the book, I won't post a review. I try to avoid that by only picking books I genuinely think I will enjoy, but of course I can't always predict that before I read. Also, while book clubs have been a great way to get exposed to books I wouldn't normally read, tastes will differ and every once in a while, I find a book I'm just not willing to finish. I also want to say no shade to the authors or anyone who enjoyed these books--they just weren't for me. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Most Recent Books I Did Not Finish 1. Caribbean Competitors by Poppy Minnix--LibraryThing review--This one sounded great and has a beautiful cover, but while the island setting was compelling, I just couldn't ge