Skip to main content

December Wrap-Up

For my 2020 Goodreads goal, I had set 60 books. A the beginning of the year, it didn't seem like much, since I read over 80 last year and over 70 the year before. But this year was a different year, when I went through bursts of reading and bursts of just bingeing Netflix, so I had accepted that I wouldn't meet that goal. However, on Dec 26, I realized that I had read 55 books for the year...and my friends on social media egged me on for a 5 books in 5 days challenge, which I am happy to say I completed. I read more books in December than any other month this year, I think, and I did finish 60 books in 2020, finishing up with two book club reads for January, two new books I got for Hanukkah, and a collection of children's books. 

 I bought the Rebecca collection a few years ago. I loved American Girl books growing up, and I read all of them. The Rebecca books, the first (and only, I think) Jewish American Girl, came out after I was an adult, but I wanted to read them just because I know how important that would have been for my younger self. The stories really did not disappoint. They are quite didactic, of course, but the point of these books is to teach girls about history, and it's just as didactic about life in 1915 as it is about Judaism. I guess there's no perfect way to do this. These books are aimed at young, white Christian American girls and that's maybe not the worst thing, since at least these girls are learning about other cultures and the discussion of unions and picket lines really drives home the importance of learning about American history. Like the other American girl stories, it doesn't shy away from the tough stuff, and I really appreciate that. Also, the story about Rebecca's conundrum with having to make a Christmas decoration in public school rings true. That's still happening today! 

I have more thoughts on all of the books I read in December, but we'll see if I'm able to write up something or not. A Wizard's Guide to Defensive Baking was hilarious fun, especially as someone who bakes. Good choice, Mom and Dad. The book club reads were sad, especially The Island of Sea Women, although I learned a lot about Jeju Island, which is currently part of South Korea, though it has its own culture, language, religion, and history. Visible City, which predictably takes place in Manhattan, was less violent, but permeated with its own melancholy, though an interesting discussion of stained glass windows. 


Books  Read This Month

  1. The Art of Gathering: How We Meet and Why It Matters by Priya Parker
  2. Detox Your Thoughts by Andrea Bonior
  3. Brave New Girls #4: Adventures of Gals and Gizmos Ed. Paige Daniels and Mary Fan
  4. Because Internet by Gretchen McCulloch
  5. Visible City by Tova Mirvis (book club)
  6. The Island of Sea Women by Lisa See (other book club)
  7. A Wizard's Guide to Defensive Baking by T. Kingfisher
  8. The Year of Cozy by Adrianna Adarme
  9. Rebecca (An American Girl) Story Collection by Jacqueline Dembar Greene

Comments

Judy Krueger said…
What a nice collection of books you read in December. I found The Island of Sea Women sad too. I also found it great. Yay for reading groups and friends to urge us on.

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Best Books I Read in 2025

 Woof. This was--I guess kind of an average reading year? Mostly good or decent reads, a few mediocre ones or ones that weren't for me. The books I'm including below are the ones I've thought about most this year--particularly The Feather Thief and Better Living Through Birding --it's hard to imagine I only read them in 2025! I guess I'm officially a nonfiction fan now. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Best Books I Read in 2025 Thistlefoot by GennaRose Nethercott--I loved Baba Yaga as a kid and I love this modern, Jewish take on the story The Feather Thief: Beauty, Obsession, and the Natural History Heist of the Century by Kirk W. Johnson--I'd recommend this to anyone. Just a fascinating story--I never knew how much I wanted to know about fly-tying and the mystery of dead nineteenth century birds Sunrise on the Reaping by Suzanne Collins--Another gut-wrenching Hunger Games triumph--and maybe unfortunately one more for our times  Lessons in Magic and Disaster by Charlie ...