Skip to main content

February Wrap-Up

A lot of speculative fiction this month, and I needed it. Also, rereading two of my favorite fantasy novels, Graceling and Bitterblue, in preparation for the next in the series, Winterkeep, which I am eagerly awaiting---5 of 34 on the library waitlist! It was my first reread of Graceling since I first read it in 2012 (!) but I own Bitterblue and have read it many times. I'm glad she's going to be a character in Winterkeep. A Traveler in Time is a book I picked up at a Chicago library sale, and have had for a while, but I finally read it. It's such a cozy story about time travel into the 1600s, but it was written pre-1930s, so for me, it's like time-traveling twice. The two Kevin Emerson books are the second and third in the middle-grade science fiction Dark Star trilogy which offers alternatively irreverent and profound interpretations of the space/time continuum, plus a meditation on personal and collective responsibility. 


 Books Read This Month

  1. A Traveler in Time by Alison Uttley
  2. Graceling by Kristin Cashore
  3. Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore
  4. The Oceans Between Stars by Kevin Emerson
  5. Just Mercy by Bryan Stevenson
  6. The Shores Beyond Time by Kevin Emerson
Featured Book This Month

Graceling and Bitterblue are two of my all-time favorites, but I want to focus on a new book I read this month, Just Mercy by Bryan Stevenson. It's not a book I would have read on my own, especially considering my escapist reading trend lately, but one of my book clubs picked it for this month, so here we are.

Just Mercy was one of the best written works of nonfiction I've ever read. The author's incredible kind generous spirit shines through every page. He spends his life defending people in horrifying conditions and situations, and he invites them into his home, holds them in his arms, takes their cases because no one else will, and stands with them during terrifying deaths. The book is about other people's cases, and one case in particular of an innocent man put on death row due to an incompetent and racist justice system, but the small acts that we see Stevenson engage in, traveling to family's trailers in the woods, holding a child brutally assaulted in adult prison, even taking care of a former client in his own home, show how much he believes and practices what he's saying. People deserve mercy. We are all human, we are all broken, we are all more than the worst thing we have ever done. 

Comments

Judy Krueger said…
What great reading you did this month! Somehow your report was refreshing.
I ran across A Traveller in Time on the 1001 Children's Books You Must Read list. I want to read it, but so far I haven't been able to find a copy. I'm glad to see that you enjoyed it.

Just Mercy is wonderful. I loved reading a book about a person who did so many good things for the world.
JUST MERCY should be required reading for humankind. Glad you liked it. My Sunday Salon post this week
Adding Just Mercy to my TBR! Oops. Scratch that. It's already on my TBR.
Girl Who Reads said…
Just Mercy sounds like an inspiring read. See what I read at Girl Who Reads
I really enjoyed the Graceling trilogy when I read it, so I’d like to read Winterkeep.

Wishing you a great reading week

Popular posts from this blog

Books with Single-Word Titles

Happy Top Ten Tuesday over at That Artsy Reader Girl! Books with Single-Word Titles These are all my favorite books that I could think of with one-word titles. A lot of fantasy, a few nonfiction (minus subtitles) and Kindred , whether you consider it scifi or historical fiction. Also two portmanteaus using the word "bitter." I suppose it's a word that lends itself to amelioration. 1. Sweetbitter by Stephanie Danler 2. Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore 3. Fire by Kristin Cashore 4. Heartless by Marissa Meyer 5. Inheritance by Christopher Paolini 6. Meditations by Marcus Aurelius 7. Stoned by Aja Raden (has a subtitle) 8. Educated by Tara Westover 9. Fledgling by Octavia Butler 10. Kindred by Octavia Butler

Feliz Ano Nuevo!

Speaking of cultures and society, I leave for Spain on January 9. Instead of continuing as a book blog with a specific goal for number of books to read in a year, Space Station Mir will become a chronicle for my adventures in Spain. Expect a post for each new place that I visit, with pictures! I also plan to continue reviewing books, however I will not make a set goal for number of books to read this year. I do pledge myself to read at least one book in Spanish that was not assigned for a class. In terms of my goals for 2009, I was not diligent enough in keeping track of them. Looking back, I've fulfilled some of them and not others. The greatest trend in my reading this year, which marks a huge deviation for me, is that I've read more non-fiction than I think I've read any other year in my life. I've finally developed the ability to sustain interest in non-fiction other than biographies. For a while, biographies were the only non-fiction I ever read, with the exception

Most Recent Books I Did Not Finish

 I feel like I've been DNFing a fair amount lately, mostly with review books. I feel obligated to read review books longer than I would if they were books I just picked up on my own. That said, I have a caveat in my Book Review Policy  that if I feel I am not the right audience for the book, I won't post a review. I try to avoid that by only picking books I genuinely think I will enjoy, but of course I can't always predict that before I read. Also, while book clubs have been a great way to get exposed to books I wouldn't normally read, tastes will differ and every once in a while, I find a book I'm just not willing to finish. I also want to say no shade to the authors or anyone who enjoyed these books--they just weren't for me. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Most Recent Books I Did Not Finish 1. Caribbean Competitors by Poppy Minnix--LibraryThing review--This one sounded great and has a beautiful cover, but while the island setting was compelling, I just couldn't ge