Skip to main content

Top Ten Books You Shouldn't Read for Valentine's Day

Today's Top Ten Tuesday is a Valentine's Day freebie, so I thought I'd have a little fun and share with you some of the most unromantic stories I've ever read. Definitely DO NOT RECOMMEND if you're trying to impress your valentine. Some of them should be obvious--and some of them should be obvious. And I have a little more to say on the last one, which is one of my favorite books of all time, and in some ways one of the most romantic books of all time, but also the key to explaining why some books are not as romantic as some may think. Keep reading if you're curious:


Top Ten Books You Shouldn't Read for Valentine's Day
  1. Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier
  2. Pamela by Samuel Richardson
  3. My Cousin Rachel by Daphne du Maurier 
  4. Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
  5. 1984 by George Orwell
  6. Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy
  7. Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
  8. The Tragedy of Mariam by Elizabeth Carey
  9. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
  10. Persuasion by Jane Austen
Jane Austen on Why Romance Can't Be Trusted

Towards the end of Persuasion, Anne Eliot engages in conversation with her friend, about a mutual friend who plans to remarry a few years after the death of his fiancee. Anne declares that women love more and longer than men, but her male companion cannot agree, claiming that books and history are against her. That's easy, Anne replies, history was written by men and cannot be trusted. 

We have the trope of the femme fatale, the perilous woman for whose love the world falls, our Helen of Troys, our Guineveres, women who are faithless to their husbands and hardly more so to their lovers. We have Dante's Beatrice and Petrarch's Laura. Courtly love, where the men can never attain their goal. It's not hot. Not in my opinion, and not in Austen's. Men enjoy professing love, she demonstrates, but in the actual absence of their lovers, they move on. It's what they do. Go outside. Go to sea. Join the navy, like Anne's former lover, Captain Wentworth. 

It's the 21st century, and many of the books I listed above are written by women, all from earlier centuries. They write about women who were murdered or raped by their husbands and lovers, or who took matters into their own hands, and killed their lovers or themselves first. Jane Eyre isn't murdered or raped by her husband, but her husband's first wife is grossly mistreated if not murdered by him, and if Jane's isn't widely considered a tale of manipulation and grooming, it should be. 

What Austen gets at is just because one of the characters thinks you're in a romance, that doesn't make it so. We can't trust Persuasion as a romance because that trust has been broken before. Anne was persuaded to break it off with Wentworth in the past. Captain Benwick broke his undying love for Fanny Harville and married Louisa Musgrove. This is a romance written by a woman and it shows that men break their promises too. So, who can we trust? Not the slippery pedophile Humbert Humbert, not cowardly Winston, and certainly not murderous Rachel or duplicitous Mariam. Innocent angelic Tess, perhaps, but even she will murder where bereaved. Romance isn't just full of liars, it's full of murderers, rapists, and victims. At least in these worlds. At least in these stories. It may all depend on how you tell it, and who's telling the story, but these aren't the ones you should reach for if you're looking to celebrate. 


Comments

Judy Krueger said…
I "love" your take on this meme this Tuesday!
curlygeek04 said…
This is a great topic - I agree there is little that is romantic about Jane Eyre, and Lolita certainly tops this list. I haven't read all of these but I loved Tess. Hardy certainly shows the uglier side of love.

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Best Books I Read in 2025

 Woof. This was--I guess kind of an average reading year? Mostly good or decent reads, a few mediocre ones or ones that weren't for me. The books I'm including below are the ones I've thought about most this year--particularly The Feather Thief and Better Living Through Birding --it's hard to imagine I only read them in 2025! I guess I'm officially a nonfiction fan now. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Best Books I Read in 2025 Thistlefoot by GennaRose Nethercott--I loved Baba Yaga as a kid and I love this modern, Jewish take on the story The Feather Thief: Beauty, Obsession, and the Natural History Heist of the Century by Kirk W. Johnson--I'd recommend this to anyone. Just a fascinating story--I never knew how much I wanted to know about fly-tying and the mystery of dead nineteenth century birds Sunrise on the Reaping by Suzanne Collins--Another gut-wrenching Hunger Games triumph--and maybe unfortunately one more for our times  Lessons in Magic and Disaster by Charlie ...