Skip to main content

Characters Whose Job I Wish I Had

 Happy Top Ten Tuesday over at That Artsy Reader Girl!

Honestly, it's easier for me to think of characters whose jobs I don't wish I had. I don't want to be a defense lawyer. I don't want to travel through Mordor to throw the Ring into Mount Doom. I might want to be a librarian or a bookseller (assuming I could make a living), a writer or what I already am, a teacher. I want more of the jobs from cozy, safe types of books--although I threw a few nonfiction in too. 

1. The Bookish Life of Nina Hill by Abbi Waxman

Job: Bookseller

2. The Bookshop on the Corner by Jenny Colgan

Job: Owner of a book van/traveling bookshop

3. Playing with Matches by Hannah Orenstein

Job: Matchmaker

I wouldn't have picked this before I read the book, but the way she spends most of her time just looking at online profiles and then setting people up kind of sounded fun.

4. The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet by Becky Chambers

Job: Anything on a spaceship. I (almost) don't care! I could be the cook or help out in hydroponics. I just want to be on the ship!

5. A Closed and Common Orbit by Becky Chambers

Job: Aeluon Parent. In this culture, it's basically like being a preschool teacher. You raise a bunch of kids as your full-time job, along with your team of co-parents, so it's easy to get a break when you need one.

6. A Wizard's Guide to Defensive Baking by T. Kingfisher

Job: Baker/Magical Wizard Baker--I'll take either (she can tell the dough not to dry out! or burn!)

7. Because Internet by Gretchen McCulloch

Job: Internet linguist. !!!

8. The Cooking Gene by Michael Twitty

Job: Writer/food historian 

9. Dear Mrs. Bird by A.J. Pearce

Job: Advice columnist

10. The Weight of Ink by Rachel Kadish

Job: Tenured professor researching a Jewish woman writer in early modern England



Comments

You thought of so many different jobs. Not me. I went off the board this week because I couldn't remember anyone's professions except for the teachers and since I'm one that wasn't fun. Check out my off the board list please. Thanks you. My TTT
Lydia said…
Working on a space ship in any capacity would be super cool!

My post: https://lydiaschoch.com/top-ten-tuesday-characters-whose-job-i-wish-i-had/
Golly, how did I forget being on a spaceship? Yes, a librarian on a spaceship, I think, who is often called upon to assist the captain on her important missions.
Judy Krueger said…
I like the way you did this! I once ran my own daycare in my home. I'd like to find a book about that job. It was not easy!
iloveheartlandX said…
I'd quite like to be a bookseller, though having worked in other areas of retail before, I have no doubt that bookshops also face their share of awful customers.
My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2021/03/02/top-ten-tuesday-305/
Being a matchmaker sounds fun, but also like there would be a ton of pressure to get it right.
@Deb omg, yes, a librarian on a spaceship! That is exactly what I want to be!

@Judy yes, I think a book where a character runs a daycare would be quite interesting! I've worked with preschoolers and enjoyed it, but running a daycare would be too much for me I think!

@iloveheartlandX I've been a bookseller, actually, and it was surprisingly lovely. Almost all of the customers were incredibly pleasant and I only have a few mostly funny stories about their behavior. I'd wager bookstore customers are generally more pleasant than other retail, in fact. The only reason I didn't stick with that job was because it was minimum wage.
Agreed - anything on a spaceship!

Lauren @ Always Me

Popular posts from this blog

Books with Single-Word Titles

Happy Top Ten Tuesday over at That Artsy Reader Girl! Books with Single-Word Titles These are all my favorite books that I could think of with one-word titles. A lot of fantasy, a few nonfiction (minus subtitles) and Kindred , whether you consider it scifi or historical fiction. Also two portmanteaus using the word "bitter." I suppose it's a word that lends itself to amelioration. 1. Sweetbitter by Stephanie Danler 2. Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore 3. Fire by Kristin Cashore 4. Heartless by Marissa Meyer 5. Inheritance by Christopher Paolini 6. Meditations by Marcus Aurelius 7. Stoned by Aja Raden (has a subtitle) 8. Educated by Tara Westover 9. Fledgling by Octavia Butler 10. Kindred by Octavia Butler

Feliz Ano Nuevo!

Speaking of cultures and society, I leave for Spain on January 9. Instead of continuing as a book blog with a specific goal for number of books to read in a year, Space Station Mir will become a chronicle for my adventures in Spain. Expect a post for each new place that I visit, with pictures! I also plan to continue reviewing books, however I will not make a set goal for number of books to read this year. I do pledge myself to read at least one book in Spanish that was not assigned for a class. In terms of my goals for 2009, I was not diligent enough in keeping track of them. Looking back, I've fulfilled some of them and not others. The greatest trend in my reading this year, which marks a huge deviation for me, is that I've read more non-fiction than I think I've read any other year in my life. I've finally developed the ability to sustain interest in non-fiction other than biographies. For a while, biographies were the only non-fiction I ever read, with the exception

Most Recent Books I Did Not Finish

 I feel like I've been DNFing a fair amount lately, mostly with review books. I feel obligated to read review books longer than I would if they were books I just picked up on my own. That said, I have a caveat in my Book Review Policy  that if I feel I am not the right audience for the book, I won't post a review. I try to avoid that by only picking books I genuinely think I will enjoy, but of course I can't always predict that before I read. Also, while book clubs have been a great way to get exposed to books I wouldn't normally read, tastes will differ and every once in a while, I find a book I'm just not willing to finish. I also want to say no shade to the authors or anyone who enjoyed these books--they just weren't for me. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Most Recent Books I Did Not Finish 1. Caribbean Competitors by Poppy Minnix--LibraryThing review--This one sounded great and has a beautiful cover, but while the island setting was compelling, I just couldn't ge