Skip to main content

Characters Whose Job I Wish I Had

 Happy Top Ten Tuesday over at That Artsy Reader Girl!

Honestly, it's easier for me to think of characters whose jobs I don't wish I had. I don't want to be a defense lawyer. I don't want to travel through Mordor to throw the Ring into Mount Doom. I might want to be a librarian or a bookseller (assuming I could make a living), a writer or what I already am, a teacher. I want more of the jobs from cozy, safe types of books--although I threw a few nonfiction in too. 

1. The Bookish Life of Nina Hill by Abbi Waxman

Job: Bookseller

2. The Bookshop on the Corner by Jenny Colgan

Job: Owner of a book van/traveling bookshop

3. Playing with Matches by Hannah Orenstein

Job: Matchmaker

I wouldn't have picked this before I read the book, but the way she spends most of her time just looking at online profiles and then setting people up kind of sounded fun.

4. The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet by Becky Chambers

Job: Anything on a spaceship. I (almost) don't care! I could be the cook or help out in hydroponics. I just want to be on the ship!

5. A Closed and Common Orbit by Becky Chambers

Job: Aeluon Parent. In this culture, it's basically like being a preschool teacher. You raise a bunch of kids as your full-time job, along with your team of co-parents, so it's easy to get a break when you need one.

6. A Wizard's Guide to Defensive Baking by T. Kingfisher

Job: Baker/Magical Wizard Baker--I'll take either (she can tell the dough not to dry out! or burn!)

7. Because Internet by Gretchen McCulloch

Job: Internet linguist. !!!

8. The Cooking Gene by Michael Twitty

Job: Writer/food historian 

9. Dear Mrs. Bird by A.J. Pearce

Job: Advice columnist

10. The Weight of Ink by Rachel Kadish

Job: Tenured professor researching a Jewish woman writer in early modern England



Comments

You thought of so many different jobs. Not me. I went off the board this week because I couldn't remember anyone's professions except for the teachers and since I'm one that wasn't fun. Check out my off the board list please. Thanks you. My TTT
Lydia said…
Working on a space ship in any capacity would be super cool!

My post: https://lydiaschoch.com/top-ten-tuesday-characters-whose-job-i-wish-i-had/
Golly, how did I forget being on a spaceship? Yes, a librarian on a spaceship, I think, who is often called upon to assist the captain on her important missions.
Judy Krueger said…
I like the way you did this! I once ran my own daycare in my home. I'd like to find a book about that job. It was not easy!
iloveheartlandX said…
I'd quite like to be a bookseller, though having worked in other areas of retail before, I have no doubt that bookshops also face their share of awful customers.
My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2021/03/02/top-ten-tuesday-305/
Being a matchmaker sounds fun, but also like there would be a ton of pressure to get it right.
@Deb omg, yes, a librarian on a spaceship! That is exactly what I want to be!

@Judy yes, I think a book where a character runs a daycare would be quite interesting! I've worked with preschoolers and enjoyed it, but running a daycare would be too much for me I think!

@iloveheartlandX I've been a bookseller, actually, and it was surprisingly lovely. Almost all of the customers were incredibly pleasant and I only have a few mostly funny stories about their behavior. I'd wager bookstore customers are generally more pleasant than other retail, in fact. The only reason I didn't stick with that job was because it was minimum wage.
Agreed - anything on a spaceship!

Lauren @ Always Me

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Best Books I Read in 2025

 Woof. This was--I guess kind of an average reading year? Mostly good or decent reads, a few mediocre ones or ones that weren't for me. The books I'm including below are the ones I've thought about most this year--particularly The Feather Thief and Better Living Through Birding --it's hard to imagine I only read them in 2025! I guess I'm officially a nonfiction fan now. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Best Books I Read in 2025 Thistlefoot by GennaRose Nethercott--I loved Baba Yaga as a kid and I love this modern, Jewish take on the story The Feather Thief: Beauty, Obsession, and the Natural History Heist of the Century by Kirk W. Johnson--I'd recommend this to anyone. Just a fascinating story--I never knew how much I wanted to know about fly-tying and the mystery of dead nineteenth century birds Sunrise on the Reaping by Suzanne Collins--Another gut-wrenching Hunger Games triumph--and maybe unfortunately one more for our times  Lessons in Magic and Disaster by Charlie ...