Skip to main content

Books I Read in One Sitting

 There are many amazing kinds of books out there, but there is a special magic in a certain kind of book or sometimes a special uninterrupted block of time, which for me often comes during the High Holidays or a vacation or even just a weekend with nothing to do (aka nearly every pandemic weekend), when you can just sit and read and read until you're done. As a result, a lot of these books have very specific place memories for me, like when I was given my copy of The Outsiders in English class, proceeded to read while walking to, at, and from a pep rally, and did not stop reading until I was finished. We Are Okay by Nina LaCour reminds me very specifically of how I used to read in my desk chair in my freshman dorm, with my knees propped up against the desk, because I couldn't sit up in my bed, which was lofted above the desk and dresser, the only way all the furniture could fit in my triple. The most amazing part?  That book wasn't even published when I was a freshman. I read it years after I graduated from college, but the claustrophobic dorm room feel of the book evoked that sense memory so strongly that it's what I remember when I think about We Are Okay (I did tear through it in a day, but from the relative comfort of my work desk during lunch and couch at home). 

1. The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton

2. That Was Then, This Is Now by S.E. Hinton

What can I say? She just writes those kinds of books where you can't help becoming immersed. This was a book my sister was assigned in school; I found it, cracked it open, and stayed up until I finished in the wee hours of the morning. 

3. We Are Okay by Nina LaCour

4. Anxious People by Fredrik Backman

5. A Wizard's Guide to Defensive Baking by T. Kingfisher

6. My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry by Fredrik Backman

7. To Be Taught, If Fortunate by Becky Chambers

8. The Color of Love: A Story of a Mixed-Race Jewish Girl by Marra B. Gad

9. The Boy Who Steals Houses by C.G. Drews

10. The Bird King by G. Willow Wilson.

Comments

Lydia said…
The Outsiders is a good pick. I haven’t thought about that book in years.

My post: https://lydiaschoch.com/top-ten-tuesday-books-i-read-in-one-sitting/
Lectrice Vorace said…
It's so fun to read people's memories of their reading experiences. Great list this week!

Here's my Top Ten Tuesday list!

Jawahir the Bookworm said…
Really great list, heard a lot of great things about Anxious People so I'm looking forward to read that book in particular.

Here's mine :) https://jawahirthebookworm.com/2021/07/19/ttt-books-you-can-read-in-one-day-or-one-setting/

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Best Books I Read in 2025

 Woof. This was--I guess kind of an average reading year? Mostly good or decent reads, a few mediocre ones or ones that weren't for me. The books I'm including below are the ones I've thought about most this year--particularly The Feather Thief and Better Living Through Birding --it's hard to imagine I only read them in 2025! I guess I'm officially a nonfiction fan now. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Best Books I Read in 2025 Thistlefoot by GennaRose Nethercott--I loved Baba Yaga as a kid and I love this modern, Jewish take on the story The Feather Thief: Beauty, Obsession, and the Natural History Heist of the Century by Kirk W. Johnson--I'd recommend this to anyone. Just a fascinating story--I never knew how much I wanted to know about fly-tying and the mystery of dead nineteenth century birds Sunrise on the Reaping by Suzanne Collins--Another gut-wrenching Hunger Games triumph--and maybe unfortunately one more for our times  Lessons in Magic and Disaster by Charlie ...