Skip to main content

Cozy Reads

I'm focusing on books that give a cozy feeling, aren't hard reads, but leave you feeling satisfied, and maybe gently challenged along the way--mostly mysteries, romance, and whatever amazing, cozy sci-fi/fantasy amalgams Becky Chambers produces. And there's something cozy about books that literally teach you how to create an atmosphere of coziness too :-)

 Happy Top Ten Tuesday!

Cozy Reads

  1. Friday the Rabbi Slept Late by Harry Kemelman
  2. The Latke in the Library & Other Mystery Stories for Chanukah by Libi Astaire
  3. The Matzah Ball by Jean Meltzer
  4. A Psalm for the Wild-Built by Becky Chambers
  5. Fresh Water for Flowers by Valérie Perrin--this might not be an obvious pick, since the protagonist has dealt with a tragedy, but it's really about the life she's built for herself, and her cozy future
  6. Once and For All by Sarah Dessen--similar to above, the protagonist has dealt with tragedy, but this is about moving on and a subsequent fun romance
  7. Devotions: The Selected Poems of Mary Oliver
  8. The Kings of Nowhere by C.G. Drews--some rough stuff here, but overshadowed by the found family/actual family connected vibes and hilarious outer/inner dialogue
  9. The Art of Gathering: How We Meet and Why It Matters by Priya Parker--Getting literal :-)
  10. The Art of Hygge: How to Bring Danish Cosiness into Your Life--also literal; the pictures set a great mood

Comments

Lydia said…
I adored A Psalm for the Wild-Built!

My post: https://lydiaschoch.com/top-ten-tuesday-cozy-reads/
Susan said…
Good point! There definitely is something cozy about a book that's literally teaching you how to be more cozy. Love it.

Happy TTT (on a Wednesday)!

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Best Books I Read in 2025

 Woof. This was--I guess kind of an average reading year? Mostly good or decent reads, a few mediocre ones or ones that weren't for me. The books I'm including below are the ones I've thought about most this year--particularly The Feather Thief and Better Living Through Birding --it's hard to imagine I only read them in 2025! I guess I'm officially a nonfiction fan now. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Best Books I Read in 2025 Thistlefoot by GennaRose Nethercott--I loved Baba Yaga as a kid and I love this modern, Jewish take on the story The Feather Thief: Beauty, Obsession, and the Natural History Heist of the Century by Kirk W. Johnson--I'd recommend this to anyone. Just a fascinating story--I never knew how much I wanted to know about fly-tying and the mystery of dead nineteenth century birds Sunrise on the Reaping by Suzanne Collins--Another gut-wrenching Hunger Games triumph--and maybe unfortunately one more for our times  Lessons in Magic and Disaster by Charlie ...