Skip to main content

Book Review: Half Sick of Shadows by Laura Sebastian

This is the feminist Arthurian retelling I didn't know I could have. I've read and watched Arthuriana from kids' books and TV shows, The Sword in the Stone to Camelot, Excalibur to King Arthur, the Bernard Cornwell books, the Rosalind Miles books, Le Morte d'Arthur, the Merlin TV movie to the Merlin TV show, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Spamalot, Cursed, and more. So I want you to understand what I'm saying when I say: this is my favorite.

I've never seen anyone (other than Tennyson) take Elaine as the central point-of-view character, and it's (literally) a revelation. Sebastian brings a distinctly contemporary sensibility and diction to the narrative, which may put off some fans of older Arthurian legends, but in my opinion makes this all the more the right Arthurian retelling for this day and age, and Elaine, a character who sees different versions of the future, the right narrator. 

We live in a world with many possibilities, and too often, we shrink from them and thereby choose the wrong path. Sebastian's flawed Elaine exposes the familiar yet often unspoken rot at the core of Camelot: its inherent misogyny. Chivalry, a word used conspicuously only once in the book and then to be dismissed (by Arthur!), is a code explicitly for the control and commodification of women--and that is Camelot's downfall. It is not an accident that the villains in the straight Arthurian legend are Morgana and Guinevere--two women who could not be controlled. It is not an accident that the woman most respected from the legends is Elaine, a woman who killed herself when she learned that her husband was unfaithful. 

But that is not all. Sebastian goes further. She digs out the deeper and more complex rot at the core of the Arthurian legends: the idea that some people, that one person, is more important than others. Arthur is the king, and to become king, he relies (in this book, quite literally) on his tight-knit cadre of friends. It is quite fashionable right now to tout the value of community and how no man is an island. And we see that Arthur does not gain his crown alone. And yet, again and again, he is not the one who has to sacrifice for it. The definition of a hero is the one who sacrifices for the good of the whole, and yet Arthur is the only one of the book's central characters who makes no sacrifice for his success. Instead, Sebastian makes Elaine the de-facto hero of the book, and it is Elaine who takes control of her fate, who makes the central change in the Camelot narrative, the mindnumbing thing that nobody else has even considered, even when it is so obvious in so many narratives that Lancelot or Gawain or even Bors has more going on--she stops putting Arthur ahead of everyone else. 

We live in a world today where so much feels hopeless, inevitable, out of our control. We feel like we have to protect our Arthurs at the cost of everyone else, because--what will we do without a king? We are a community, yes, but some community members are more equal than others. Sebastian's Elaine refuses to accept that inevitability even as she does not escape her own fate. Rather she shows us that we can choose to meet fate for our own reasons. This Elaine is not the lady of Shalott floating quietly into the good night, but something else, lurking beneath the surface, if we only reach our hands out and grasp. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List

It's already mid-fall, so I've already read some of these, but I imagine I'll finish more before the fall is out! I'm reading quite widely these days--I seem to be reading 3-6 books at any given time, because of book clubs, yes, but also mood, format, and availability. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I received this ebook for review from LibraryThing, and I've never been quite so pleased with my choices! This was a hilarious ride from the get-go and crammed full of witchy Goth kid oddities and gore--a perfect Halloween read, and hopefully the beginning of a series! A Bridesmaid's Guide to Murder by Abigail Scott--Another ebook I received for review from LibraryThing--and whatever it is, books ending in "Guide to Murder" are killing it for me these days! (Let's not look too deep...) I'm not finished, but I'm loving it so far. Don't Forget to Write by Sara Go...

Cozy/Atmospheric Reads

I love this topic for rejoining Top Ten Tuesday!  I'm trying to lean in as much as possible to the coziness of fall and the upcoming winter season. I've done a lot better with that the last few years. Just because it isn't my favorite doesn't mean I can't enjoy it. Plus, some books I'm reading lately that are apropos for the Halloween atmosphere pervading my neighborhood this month at least.  Cozy/Atmospheric Reads Adenashire, a Cozy Fantasy Book Series by J. Penner--These books are the epitome of cozy fantasy with distinctive characters from a variety of creative fantasy backgrounds, including orcs, fennex, and gargoyles. The Bloodstained Key by Charity Rau--Not so cozy, but stiflingly atmospheric--a Gothic novel set inside a fairytale. The Unfortunate Side Effects of Heartbreak and Magic by Breanne Randall--Really captures the cozy atmosphere of a small town and a trove of magical family secrets. An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I don...

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...