Skip to main content

Book Turnoffs

Today is a Top Ten Tuesday freebie, so I took a look at topics I missed earlier this year, and found this one. There definitely are certain tropes and subject matters that can immediately steer me off reading a book--and others that are just annoyances or preferences. 

My Top Ten Nine Book Turnoffs
  1. Enemies to lovers--From Darcy and Elizabeth to Kylo and Rey, I am not about it. In a lot of cases, I don't find it believable or desirable. There are often genuine reasons to hate these bad guys (i.e., they are jerks or ACTUAL KILLERS), and them being nice to the Special Protagonist Girl is not enough to redeem them. Then, how many of you ended up dating a person you really didn't like in the first place? I never have, anyway, although, sure, I will acknowledge that you can misjudge someone and get to know them better, but I think Much Ado really takes the cake on that--and that's more lovers to enemies to lovers again, which I find more believable!
  2. May/December romances--This mainly applies with really old or ancient men and young women, or men dating adolescent girls, like any vampire stuff (I guess not enough to stop watching Vampire Diaries but had to suspend a lot of disbelief), Jane Eyre, Tuxedo Mask/Sailor Moon etc. 
  3. Stark power imbalances (e.g., A Court of Thorns and Roses)--Similarly, I don't like books that feature romantic relationships with stark power imbalances. A similarly aged young person dating a young prince or princess is one thing, and I'm ok with it when the power imbalance is addressed, but when someone in the relationship has divine magical powers and someone does not...it feels weird to me. This is the main reason I did not get obsessed and go down the ACOTAR rabbit hole like so many people---although Feyre does get powers at the end so maybe that doesn't apply as much in later books.
  4. Incest--Eeek. I felt like I read a run of surprise! incest! books in the early-2010s and sure, I get that it's one of the last few taboos in the Western World--but no. I will avoid a book if it's upfront or even sounds like this might be a thing.
  5. Love triangles--I won't not read a book because of a love triangle, but it does make me roll my eyes. For a while there, every YA book (Twilight, Hunger Games, etc., etc.) had to have a love triangle, and while it can be compelling, I don't like it when it's just there for the sake of it.
  6. World War II--I'm so tired of World War II books. I've already read a lifetime's worth but there seems to be no end of them in the publishing industry--apparently people can't get enough of this time period. 
  7. Animals that will or might die--I don't want to read about animals dying, especially dogs, but really any animals, and I feel like any book involving an animal often centers on animal death so I straight up will not read those kinds of books anymore unless I know the animal doesn't die.
  8. Multiple timelines--I've seen this done well, but for the love of Pete, I'm sick of it. Sometimes, I would just like to read a historical fiction or a contemporary fiction without switching back and forth between timelines!
  9. Multiple POVs--I often do like this--to a point. Two or three viewpoints I can take, but when we start getting five, six, seven??? It's too much, too confusing, and I often only want to read about one or two characters. Especially with series like A Song of Ice and Fire, where I really just care about Tyrion!

Comments

curlygeek04 said…
Great list! 8 and 9 really resonate with me, I get pretty annoyed with parallel timeline books unless they are done really well, and lately I find books have way too many narrators. And power imbalance is definitely a problem in some books. I can understand your issue with enemies to lovers, I find usually the "enemy" part is pretty contrived (though I'd say Pride & Prejudice is an exception).
Lydia said…
I don’t like any of these things either! Especially the May/December romance one.


Here is my Top Ten Tuesday post.
Susan said…
I agree with most of these, but I do enjoy World War II books (although I can't read too many of them in a row) and books with multiple timelines (not too many of them, though). Incest and May/December stuff make me feel physically ill. No thanks!

Happy TTT (on a Wednesday)!
Books about incest are not fun. I have only read a couple and they were hard to digest.

Here's my TTT post.
iloveheartlandX said…
I do enjoy books about WWII, there were a lot of countries involved and I have found through reading WWII fiction that I've learned a lot about the impact of the war on countries that we didn't really learn about much at school: at school I mainly got the British (obviously) and the German perspective, from books I've been able to learn more about what happened in other countries like France, Russia, Poland, Belgium, even Portugal from a book I read last year, I think for me it's all about finding books that I feel have a different take on the time period and will allow me to learn about events I didn't really know much about before. I like multiple timelines to an extent, but I do agree that it has been overdone recently and I like to feel like there's an actual purpose to the story being told that way as opposed to "I'm doing this because it's trendy right now." I also enjoy multiple POVs because it allows you to see a story from several different angles, but I agree that there is a limit to how many I want at once: four is usually that limit for me, I did love Six of Crows which had five and in the second book, all six POVs but that's definitely an exception for me rather than a rule.
My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2023/07/11/top-ten-tuesday-428/
I'm with you on several of these, especially incest. yuck. Happy reading! My TTT https://readwithstefani.com/my-top-ten-tbr-veterans/
Stephen said…
Some authors do multiple perspectives well -- Michael Shaara's "Killer Angels", for instance, took us into the minds of various Confederate and Union generals and lower officers. It worked really well to help the reader experience the day as-lived, complete with these men's confusion. Harry Turtledove also uses multiple perspectives, but he tends to use a LOT of characters (10) and one of my friends use to have to take notes as he was reading. If I have to take notes to keep on top of what's happening in a book, it's too busy!

Popular posts from this blog

Books with Single-Word Titles

Happy Top Ten Tuesday over at That Artsy Reader Girl! Books with Single-Word Titles These are all my favorite books that I could think of with one-word titles. A lot of fantasy, a few nonfiction (minus subtitles) and Kindred , whether you consider it scifi or historical fiction. Also two portmanteaus using the word "bitter." I suppose it's a word that lends itself to amelioration. 1. Sweetbitter by Stephanie Danler 2. Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore 3. Fire by Kristin Cashore 4. Heartless by Marissa Meyer 5. Inheritance by Christopher Paolini 6. Meditations by Marcus Aurelius 7. Stoned by Aja Raden (has a subtitle) 8. Educated by Tara Westover 9. Fledgling by Octavia Butler 10. Kindred by Octavia Butler

Feliz Ano Nuevo!

Speaking of cultures and society, I leave for Spain on January 9. Instead of continuing as a book blog with a specific goal for number of books to read in a year, Space Station Mir will become a chronicle for my adventures in Spain. Expect a post for each new place that I visit, with pictures! I also plan to continue reviewing books, however I will not make a set goal for number of books to read this year. I do pledge myself to read at least one book in Spanish that was not assigned for a class. In terms of my goals for 2009, I was not diligent enough in keeping track of them. Looking back, I've fulfilled some of them and not others. The greatest trend in my reading this year, which marks a huge deviation for me, is that I've read more non-fiction than I think I've read any other year in my life. I've finally developed the ability to sustain interest in non-fiction other than biographies. For a while, biographies were the only non-fiction I ever read, with the exception

Most Recent Books I Did Not Finish

 I feel like I've been DNFing a fair amount lately, mostly with review books. I feel obligated to read review books longer than I would if they were books I just picked up on my own. That said, I have a caveat in my Book Review Policy  that if I feel I am not the right audience for the book, I won't post a review. I try to avoid that by only picking books I genuinely think I will enjoy, but of course I can't always predict that before I read. Also, while book clubs have been a great way to get exposed to books I wouldn't normally read, tastes will differ and every once in a while, I find a book I'm just not willing to finish. I also want to say no shade to the authors or anyone who enjoyed these books--they just weren't for me. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Most Recent Books I Did Not Finish 1. Caribbean Competitors by Poppy Minnix--LibraryThing review--This one sounded great and has a beautiful cover, but while the island setting was compelling, I just couldn't ge