Skip to main content

Books On My Fall 2023 To-Read List

 It's funny--I like making these seasonal TBR lists and thinking about books for each season--especially fall, since that's when the biggest books of the year tend to come out, but I am well aware that I'm a mood reader and don't tend to actually read by season. I have gotten better at "gaming" these lists with books I've just started or already have though, so I do tend to read at least a few on each list at the promised time.

Books On My Fall 2023 To-Read List

1. Celebrating the Jewish Year: The Fall Holidays by Rabbi Paul Steinberg, edited by Janet Greenstein Potter--I actually put this on hold at the library shortly after the High Holidays last year, to be activated about a month beforehand this year, and I'm so glad I did. It's helpful to get in the mood both for teaching Hebrew school and for my own reflections around the holidays. I love how there is always more to learn! 

2. Twelve Past Midnight by Tiffany Alexanderson--LibraryThing review book--it's a timeloop book set in a fantasy world with a magic system that reminds me of alchemy and definitely has some steampunk flavor although it's not a steampunk world. Just getting into it.

3. My Goodbye Girl by Anna Gomez--another LibraryThing review book. I haven't started this one yet, but it's about a romance author in one of those relationships where they run into each other/meet up every few years and they're just together when they're together, which is one of my favorite tropes.

4. Your Emergency Contact Has Experienced an Emergency by Chen Chen--Chen Chen is one of my favorite poets, but I've only read his poems on the internet or in journals/anthologies before. I finally got this one from interlibrary loan, and I'm absolutely savoring it.

5. The Rabbi Who Prayed for the City by Rachel Sharona Lewis--I just found out that a sequel to The Rabbi Who Prayed With Fire came out this year. I am here for it!

6. Romantic Comedy by Curtis Sittenfeld--This one is sitting on my shelf, and the time is coming to crack it open. I already know it will be great.





Comments

Susan said…
I never stick to my seasonal TBRs either, but that doesn't mean it's not fun to make them! LOL. I hope you enjoy your Fall reading, whatever it looks like.

Happy TTT!

Popular posts from this blog

Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List

It's already mid-fall, so I've already read some of these, but I imagine I'll finish more before the fall is out! I'm reading quite widely these days--I seem to be reading 3-6 books at any given time, because of book clubs, yes, but also mood, format, and availability. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I received this ebook for review from LibraryThing, and I've never been quite so pleased with my choices! This was a hilarious ride from the get-go and crammed full of witchy Goth kid oddities and gore--a perfect Halloween read, and hopefully the beginning of a series! A Bridesmaid's Guide to Murder by Abigail Scott--Another ebook I received for review from LibraryThing--and whatever it is, books ending in "Guide to Murder" are killing it for me these days! (Let's not look too deep...) I'm not finished, but I'm loving it so far. Don't Forget to Write by Sara Go...

Cozy/Atmospheric Reads

I love this topic for rejoining Top Ten Tuesday!  I'm trying to lean in as much as possible to the coziness of fall and the upcoming winter season. I've done a lot better with that the last few years. Just because it isn't my favorite doesn't mean I can't enjoy it. Plus, some books I'm reading lately that are apropos for the Halloween atmosphere pervading my neighborhood this month at least.  Cozy/Atmospheric Reads Adenashire, a Cozy Fantasy Book Series by J. Penner--These books are the epitome of cozy fantasy with distinctive characters from a variety of creative fantasy backgrounds, including orcs, fennex, and gargoyles. The Bloodstained Key by Charity Rau--Not so cozy, but stiflingly atmospheric--a Gothic novel set inside a fairytale. The Unfortunate Side Effects of Heartbreak and Magic by Breanne Randall--Really captures the cozy atmosphere of a small town and a trove of magical family secrets. An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I don...

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...