Skip to main content

Bookish and Not So Bookish Goals for 2024

 I'm excited about my reading and other goals for 2024. In 2023, I did a lot of set up reading-, writing-, and life-wise, and now I feel ready to keep improving and having fun with my goals. I've already made headway on some of these goals, and I can see myself making them happen! I didn't post this on Tuesday, but here's the TTT link.

Bookish Goals for 2024

  1. Read 42 books--I again wanted to go a little easy on myself, but feeling up to this since my goal last year was 36 and I read 48.
  2. Read 11 (25%) books by authors of color, from this specific list (below)--I haven't been doing well with this goal in the past, so instead of the more vague "25%" goal, I'm defining 25% of my reading goal and actually creating a list of books I want to read that fit this criteria to choose from. If you're interested, my list below includes books that have been on my TBR awhile, including some literally on my shelves.
  3. Read and review all the books I've accepted for review from 2023 (and any I accept in 2024)--I have a few more books that I accepted for review in 2023 that I need to finish, and once those are done, I'm open to accepting a few more reviews for 2024.
  4. Read 2 books by women in translation, from this specific list (below)--Again, I didn't complete this goal last year, but I did get some great recommendations in blog comments and elsewhere (one of which I started reading and then had to return to the library! 😞), so I'm using a specific list to complete the goal this year. If you're interested, I've included the list below.

Not So Bookish Goals for 2024

  1. Finish Draft 2 of my novel--I've been working on this (the second draft) since NaNoWriMo 2023!
  2. Get feedback and comments on my draft from early readers and editors
  3. Write query letters (and maybe send them to agents--if I have 2 polished-enough chapters)
  4. Keep writing poems and stories--and submit some more of them
  5. Use fun and colorful pens, tabs, and stickers as much as possible--Meg Keene reminded me that you can have fun goals too, and my husband got me a colorful set of Le Pens for Hanukkah!
Books I Want to Read This Year by Authors of Color
  1. Deacon King Kong by James McBride-I've been listening to the audiobook for months--it is AMAZING. It's taken me so long because the only place I can listen to it is my car, which I don't use every day. But Dominic Hoffman's narration fits McBride's pitch-perfect diction so well, I can't imagine just reading it now.
  2. Children of Virtue and Vengeance by Tomi Adeyemi-I read the first Orisha book years ago, but recently got in the mood to read this one. I actually liked it even better and already finished it!
  3. Children of Anguish and Anarchy by Tomi Adeyemi-And fortunately, Orisha Book 3 comes out this year!
  4. To Gaze Upon Wicked Gods by Molly X. Chang--This book sounds so good, although it also doesn't come out until later this year.
  5. The Very Secret Society of Irregular Witches by Sangu Mandanna-This one sounds up my alley and was really popular a couple years ago.
  6. Color Me In by Natasha Diaz-Jewish/African American book that's been on my list for a while.
  7. Ariel Samson: Freelance Rabbi by MaNishtana-Same as above and want to read more from MaNishtana.
  8. Skin of the Sea by Natasha Bowen-I'll be honest--this has a really awesome cover, and you don't see a lot of books about mermaids.
  9. Here For It by Eric R. Thomas-I've read some of his writing at Slate and other places, and I know I'm going to be laughing and crying.
  10. The Girl With the Louding Voice by Abi Daré-I was supposed to read this for a book club a few years ago, and it's still sitting on my shelf. 
  11. Pride by Ibi Zoboi-It's a P&P retelling, and I've heard good things about Ibi Zoboi (and I like that she wrote a kids' book about Octavia Butler). 
Books I Want to Read This Year by Women in Translation
  1. What You Are Looking For Is In the Library by Michiko Aoyama-So, I already started reading this in 2023, but then I had to return it to the library (!)--got myself back on the waitlist though.
  2. Welcome to the Hyunam-Dong Bookshop by Bo-reum Hwang--Again, stacking this with books I will probably like :-)

Comments

Good luck on your goals!
For the women of color list, I loved Skin of the Sea! But then i love mermaids so it wasn't a surprise ahah
The Irregular Society was a nice, heartwarming story, perfect for winter reading by the fire !

Happy reading :)
Lydia said…
I’m cheering you on! Good luck with your goals.


Here is my Top Ten Tuesday post.

Popular posts from this blog

Books with Single-Word Titles

Happy Top Ten Tuesday over at That Artsy Reader Girl! Books with Single-Word Titles These are all my favorite books that I could think of with one-word titles. A lot of fantasy, a few nonfiction (minus subtitles) and Kindred , whether you consider it scifi or historical fiction. Also two portmanteaus using the word "bitter." I suppose it's a word that lends itself to amelioration. 1. Sweetbitter by Stephanie Danler 2. Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore 3. Fire by Kristin Cashore 4. Heartless by Marissa Meyer 5. Inheritance by Christopher Paolini 6. Meditations by Marcus Aurelius 7. Stoned by Aja Raden (has a subtitle) 8. Educated by Tara Westover 9. Fledgling by Octavia Butler 10. Kindred by Octavia Butler

Feliz Ano Nuevo!

Speaking of cultures and society, I leave for Spain on January 9. Instead of continuing as a book blog with a specific goal for number of books to read in a year, Space Station Mir will become a chronicle for my adventures in Spain. Expect a post for each new place that I visit, with pictures! I also plan to continue reviewing books, however I will not make a set goal for number of books to read this year. I do pledge myself to read at least one book in Spanish that was not assigned for a class. In terms of my goals for 2009, I was not diligent enough in keeping track of them. Looking back, I've fulfilled some of them and not others. The greatest trend in my reading this year, which marks a huge deviation for me, is that I've read more non-fiction than I think I've read any other year in my life. I've finally developed the ability to sustain interest in non-fiction other than biographies. For a while, biographies were the only non-fiction I ever read, with the exception

Most Recent Books I Did Not Finish

 I feel like I've been DNFing a fair amount lately, mostly with review books. I feel obligated to read review books longer than I would if they were books I just picked up on my own. That said, I have a caveat in my Book Review Policy  that if I feel I am not the right audience for the book, I won't post a review. I try to avoid that by only picking books I genuinely think I will enjoy, but of course I can't always predict that before I read. Also, while book clubs have been a great way to get exposed to books I wouldn't normally read, tastes will differ and every once in a while, I find a book I'm just not willing to finish. I also want to say no shade to the authors or anyone who enjoyed these books--they just weren't for me. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Most Recent Books I Did Not Finish 1. Caribbean Competitors by Poppy Minnix--LibraryThing review--This one sounded great and has a beautiful cover, but while the island setting was compelling, I just couldn't ge