Skip to main content

Books Read in December 2023

 It's that time of year again--the end of the year. And with it, the dilemma--do I post this before the end of the year and risk missing something, or later and have it get caught up in all the 'best of' lists? Well, I guess I blew right past this and forgot to post it till now, so enjoy!

Cover of Eight Nights of Flirting: two teenagers laying in the snow, blue background, title in yellow font
  1. Eight Nights of Flirting by Hannah Reynolds--Cute Hanukkah romance with the added bonus of a unique setting--winter in Nantucket--and an archaeological/anthropological mystery. 
  2. The Wartime Sisters by Lynda Cohen Loigman--Book club read, about two Jewish sisters who work at an armory in Boston during WWII--it's...fine, not a book I would have picked, but if you're interested in the historical setting, I'd recommend it. 
  3. The Collected Regrets of Clover by Mikki Brammer--Read this for a new book club (that brings me up to 3 😉)--I was apprehensive since it was compared to Eleanor Oliphant, a book that devastated me, but thankfully was unwarranted. It's a truly meaningful although also lighter and quirky story about a death doula and coming to terms with regrets. TL;DR recommended to people who like quirky characters and can handle some discussion of death.
  4. Kissing Kosher by Jean Meltzer--Ah, so much to unpack--I got it from the library, but I think I need to buy it. Lots of Jewish and chronic illness rep (chronic pelvic pain, this time), really deep and thoughtful about what it means to live a Jewish life in contemporary America, plus cute romance and baking. 
  5. A Vision in Crimson by Kathryn Troy-ARC I am reviewing--stay tuned for more, but TL; DR--highly recommended to spicy romantasy fans!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Books I Loved But Never Reviewed

 Reviewed is a strong word. I've mostly stopped doing formal book reviews except for author requests and/or when I feel like it, but I usually give some description and or opinions of books I'm reading, usually multiple times, through weekly and monthly wrap-ups. I do find that it' s more difficult to review my absolute favorite books than books I either disliked or engaged with strongly on an intellectual rather than emotional level. For example, I rarely review poetry beyond "I loved it'" or "Meh." It's much easier to explain criticism of vocabulary usage or a plot device than explain how the book felt like a snug little snow globe. So, for this Top Ten Tuesday , I'm listing books that I loved, didn't give a formal review, and (I think) didn't discuss too much.  Books I Loved But Never Reviewed A Closed and Common Orbit by Becky Chambers Tess of the Road by Rachel Hartman We Are Okay by Nina LaCour The Broken Earth Trilogy by N.K. J...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Top Ten 2015 Releases I Meant To Get To But Didn't

Happy Top Ten Tuesday over at the Broke and the Bookish! I had to go back to my anticipated books of 2015 to remember this! Looks like the winners are: 1. The Mechanical by Ian Tregellis 2. Get in Trouble by Kelly Link 3. The Boy Who Lost Fairyland by Catherynne M. Valente 4. Karen Memory by Elizabeth Bear 5. Armada by Ernest Cline 6. The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin