Skip to main content

Book Review: Dreams of Ice and Shadow by Kathryn Troy OUT TODAY JULY 23, 2024

Dreams of Ice and Shadow by Kathryn Troy (Frostbite Trilogy, Book #2)

Release Day: July 23, 2024

It's here! I've been reading this book for so long, but it's finally out! 

Since I loved Troy's book, The Shadow of Theron, and the first book in this trilogy, A Vision in Crimson, I again volunteered to be part of the "street team" for social media promotion and received a review copy of the book--in the form of an e-galley and finally an e-book. It took me so long to read because I don't like reading on my computer, but once I got the e-book, I zipped through it. This is definitely one where I recommend reading in order. 

Like Troy's other books, the writing is vivid, intense, and dense with literary references. This one particularly gets to some Narnian deep cuts--"If the person who possesses the stone speaks a single magical word, known only by a select few...[they will have the power to destroy the world]." We learn this, of course, from a character named Drigory. I really can't improve on the author's description of the books as "Dracula meets Narnia but smutty."

While I'd say the first book, comparatively, focuses more on Luca, this one is more Kate's journey, and we see more of what's been teased about her erratic powers and the threat of how Luca may need to "save" her with his bite. The beginning of the novel is particularly striking and certainly gets the reader's attention, and this reader's laughter, as it opens with Alaric attempting to take advantage of being placed in a female body and ends with an impressive fighting sequence from Kate, which gains our heroes a new ally as well as a formidable and mysterious new foe.

Then, it's back to taking care of business, from Luca's unfinished encounter with Dracula to the sacrifice Kate is determined to make to fix her past mistakes. We learn more about Kate's past, including some she does not yet even know. When the book ends, our heroes are once again united and set to face the lurking enemy introduced in the first act of Book 2.

I loved the writing and the characters, but this book felt a little more disjointed than the previous one, especially toward the end. There are a lot of fascinating elements at play here, and it's hard to juggle all of them into a cohesive narrative. I also wished for a little more Alaric, and some plot elements seemed resolved too easily; on the other hand, I'm tantalized by the elements that were not resolved in this book, so I'm motivated to read the third, and if that's not the job of a satisfying second book of a trilogy, then I don't know what is!

Received for review from the author; all opinions are my own. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Books with Single-Word Titles

Happy Top Ten Tuesday over at That Artsy Reader Girl! Books with Single-Word Titles These are all my favorite books that I could think of with one-word titles. A lot of fantasy, a few nonfiction (minus subtitles) and Kindred , whether you consider it scifi or historical fiction. Also two portmanteaus using the word "bitter." I suppose it's a word that lends itself to amelioration. 1. Sweetbitter by Stephanie Danler 2. Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore 3. Fire by Kristin Cashore 4. Heartless by Marissa Meyer 5. Inheritance by Christopher Paolini 6. Meditations by Marcus Aurelius 7. Stoned by Aja Raden (has a subtitle) 8. Educated by Tara Westover 9. Fledgling by Octavia Butler 10. Kindred by Octavia Butler

Reading Goals I Still Want to Accomplish in 2023

 I am well on my way or even done with some of my bookish goals for 2023  😁, while having barely completed or not even started others 😧. I would still like to complete these goals this year, so this is a good reminder to ramp up my efforts in the last quarter of 2023. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Reading Goals I Still Want to Accomplish in 2023 Read at least 36 books-- I've done this already! I just completed 36 books at the end of September. This is way less than I've read in previous years, but I wanted to go easy on myself since I started a new job in the past year and change.  Read books I already own, library, or Kindle books.-- Yup! I've gotten very good at this--I've read a lot of library books (ex. left), a few books I owned, and the only books I've bought were Kindle deals.  Read at least two books by women in translation.-- Pretty sure I did not do this at all yet... Read at least 25% books by authors of color.-- I have read some books by authors of color this

Book Review: The Speed of Clouds by Miriam Seidel

Book Review: The Speed of Clouds by Miriam Seidel *To Be Released from New Door Books on April 10, 2018* Mindy Vogel is haunted by the future. In frequent daydreams, she toggles between her real, wheelchair-bound life and the adventurous life of her fanfic alter ego, SkyLog officer Kat Wanderer. She's haunted by all that Kat can do which she cannot---belong to an organization of comrades, walk, and fall in love---yet. Because at twenty-four, Mindy's future is very much ahead of her, wheelchair notwithstanding. Through Mindy's "SkyLog" fanzine and related emails, Seidel evokes Star Trek fandom around the turn of the millenium, but also creates a new and compelling science fictional universe, similar to what Rainbow Rowell's Fangirl  does for the Harry Potter fandom with "Simon Snow." Mindy is among the pioneers transitioning fandom from print to digital, boldly encountering like-minded individuals from the comfort of her chair behind the monito