Skip to main content

Book Review: Dreams of Ice and Shadow by Kathryn Troy OUT TODAY JULY 23, 2024

Dreams of Ice and Shadow by Kathryn Troy (Frostbite Trilogy, Book #2)

Release Day: July 23, 2024

It's here! I've been reading this book for so long, but it's finally out! 

Since I loved Troy's book, The Shadow of Theron, and the first book in this trilogy, A Vision in Crimson, I again volunteered to be part of the "street team" for social media promotion and received a review copy of the book--in the form of an e-galley and finally an e-book. It took me so long to read because I don't like reading on my computer, but once I got the e-book, I zipped through it. This is definitely one where I recommend reading in order. 

Like Troy's other books, the writing is vivid, intense, and dense with literary references. This one particularly gets to some Narnian deep cuts--"If the person who possesses the stone speaks a single magical word, known only by a select few...[they will have the power to destroy the world]." We learn this, of course, from a character named Drigory. I really can't improve on the author's description of the books as "Dracula meets Narnia but smutty."

While I'd say the first book, comparatively, focuses more on Luca, this one is more Kate's journey, and we see more of what's been teased about her erratic powers and the threat of how Luca may need to "save" her with his bite. The beginning of the novel is particularly striking and certainly gets the reader's attention, and this reader's laughter, as it opens with Alaric attempting to take advantage of being placed in a female body and ends with an impressive fighting sequence from Kate, which gains our heroes a new ally as well as a formidable and mysterious new foe.

Then, it's back to taking care of business, from Luca's unfinished encounter with Dracula to the sacrifice Kate is determined to make to fix her past mistakes. We learn more about Kate's past, including some she does not yet even know. When the book ends, our heroes are once again united and set to face the lurking enemy introduced in the first act of Book 2.

I loved the writing and the characters, but this book felt a little more disjointed than the previous one, especially toward the end. There are a lot of fascinating elements at play here, and it's hard to juggle all of them into a cohesive narrative. I also wished for a little more Alaric, and some plot elements seemed resolved too easily; on the other hand, I'm tantalized by the elements that were not resolved in this book, so I'm motivated to read the third, and if that's not the job of a satisfying second book of a trilogy, then I don't know what is!

Received for review from the author; all opinions are my own. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List

It's already mid-fall, so I've already read some of these, but I imagine I'll finish more before the fall is out! I'm reading quite widely these days--I seem to be reading 3-6 books at any given time, because of book clubs, yes, but also mood, format, and availability. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I received this ebook for review from LibraryThing, and I've never been quite so pleased with my choices! This was a hilarious ride from the get-go and crammed full of witchy Goth kid oddities and gore--a perfect Halloween read, and hopefully the beginning of a series! A Bridesmaid's Guide to Murder by Abigail Scott--Another ebook I received for review from LibraryThing--and whatever it is, books ending in "Guide to Murder" are killing it for me these days! (Let's not look too deep...) I'm not finished, but I'm loving it so far. Don't Forget to Write by Sara Go...

Cozy/Atmospheric Reads

I love this topic for rejoining Top Ten Tuesday!  I'm trying to lean in as much as possible to the coziness of fall and the upcoming winter season. I've done a lot better with that the last few years. Just because it isn't my favorite doesn't mean I can't enjoy it. Plus, some books I'm reading lately that are apropos for the Halloween atmosphere pervading my neighborhood this month at least.  Cozy/Atmospheric Reads Adenashire, a Cozy Fantasy Book Series by J. Penner--These books are the epitome of cozy fantasy with distinctive characters from a variety of creative fantasy backgrounds, including orcs, fennex, and gargoyles. The Bloodstained Key by Charity Rau--Not so cozy, but stiflingly atmospheric--a Gothic novel set inside a fairytale. The Unfortunate Side Effects of Heartbreak and Magic by Breanne Randall--Really captures the cozy atmosphere of a small town and a trove of magical family secrets. An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I don...

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...