Skip to main content

Cozy/Atmospheric Reads

I love this topic for rejoining Top Ten Tuesday! I'm trying to lean in as much as possible to the coziness of fall and the upcoming winter season. I've done a lot better with that the last few years. Just because it isn't my favorite doesn't mean I can't enjoy it. Plus, some books I'm reading lately that are apropos for the Halloween atmosphere pervading my neighborhood this month at least. 

Cozy/Atmospheric Reads

  1. Adenashire, a Cozy Fantasy Book Series by J. Penner--These books are the epitome of cozy fantasy with distinctive characters from a variety of creative fantasy backgrounds, including orcs, fennex, and gargoyles.
  2. The Bloodstained Key by Charity Rau--Not so cozy, but stiflingly atmospheric--a Gothic novel set inside a fairytale.
  3. The Unfortunate Side Effects of Heartbreak and Magic by Breanne Randall--Really captures the cozy atmosphere of a small town and a trove of magical family secrets.
  4. An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I don't know if I'd call it cozy, but this book is definitely a whole Gothic vibe. It just came out on October 14, 2025 and I received an ARC for review from LibraryThing. Full review coming soon, but not one to sleep on (though you might not want to after reading 😉).
  5. A Bell in the Fog by Lev A.C. Rosen--I feel like I constantly recommend this series now but it definitely fits atmospheric and sometimes even cozy in the way that murder mysteries can be. Completely nails the gay noir set in 1950s San Francisco. 
  6. Lessons in Magic and Disaster by Charlie Jane Anders--Also one I feel like I'm constantly recommending these days, but opposed to her other books which feel broader in scope, this one feels more intimate and immersed in the graduate student life, the Boston/wooded Massachusetts settings, and the liminal magic system. Definitely an atmospheric, sometimes cozy, feel.

Comments

Lydia said…
They all look quite cozy.
Rosie Amber said…
A small town setting with magic works for me. Thanks for your list
Here's a link to my TTT post
https://rosieamber.wordpress.com/2025/10/21/%f0%9f%93%9atoptentuesday-10-cosy-atmospheric-books-tuesdaybookblog-booktwitter-bookx/
Ash said…
Okay The Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder is an instant TBR add, it looks so good. I haven't heard of any of these but they sound great.

Ash @ Essentially Ash
Want to follow me on Bookstagram, booktok, add my snapchat or check out my photography?
@EssentiallyAsh I highly recommend it! It's a totally engaging, hilarious, and wild ride and perfect for Halloween!
Thanks! I enjoyed your list as well!

Popular posts from this blog

Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List

It's already mid-fall, so I've already read some of these, but I imagine I'll finish more before the fall is out! I'm reading quite widely these days--I seem to be reading 3-6 books at any given time, because of book clubs, yes, but also mood, format, and availability. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I received this ebook for review from LibraryThing, and I've never been quite so pleased with my choices! This was a hilarious ride from the get-go and crammed full of witchy Goth kid oddities and gore--a perfect Halloween read, and hopefully the beginning of a series! A Bridesmaid's Guide to Murder by Abigail Scott--Another ebook I received for review from LibraryThing--and whatever it is, books ending in "Guide to Murder" are killing it for me these days! (Let's not look too deep...) I'm not finished, but I'm loving it so far. Don't Forget to Write by Sara Go...

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...