Skip to main content

Bookish Goals for 2026 and How I Did on 2025 Goals

 Here are my goals from last year. And here are my bookish goals for 2026!

Bookish Goals for 2025

  1. Read 52 books.--I didn't want to overburden myself, and I have no regrets. I ended up reading 84 books, which is less than the fluke of last year's 90 (the most in my adult life!) but still pretty good. 
  2. Read at least 14 books by authors of color.--13 books would be 25% of 52 so I decided to add another for luck and in case I end up surpassing my overall reading goal again. I ended up reading 13 books by authors of color, which is less than 25% of 84, but still better than last year. 
  3. Read and review all of the books I have accepted or will accept for review this year.--I did this! I reviewed all the books I agreed to review in 2025--and I actually have no books to review yet in 2026, so I'm at net zero for reviews for once. 
  4. Read at least 3 books by women in translation--I've already read one!--Unfortunately, that was the only one I read all year--The Housekeeper and the Professor by Yoko Ogawa is a great book though!

Bookish Goals for 2026

  1. Read 60 books--Again, trying not to overburden myself but setting a higher goal than last year
  2. Read at least 20 books by authors of color--Maybe setting a higher goal will help me? 
  3. Read at least 3 books from countries that I've never read a book from before--I have a list of countries that I've read books from (U.S., U.K., Canada, Australia, Nigeria, Japan, Korea, Spain, France, Germany, etc. etc.) and countries that I haven't (Cameroon, Ecuador, Ghana etc. etc.), so I'll be working on the latter. I'm defining books from a country as books written by an author that has lived a significant portion of their life in that country. I know some may be difficult to find in English translation. We'll see how this goes!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Books I Loved But Never Reviewed

 Reviewed is a strong word. I've mostly stopped doing formal book reviews except for author requests and/or when I feel like it, but I usually give some description and or opinions of books I'm reading, usually multiple times, through weekly and monthly wrap-ups. I do find that it' s more difficult to review my absolute favorite books than books I either disliked or engaged with strongly on an intellectual rather than emotional level. For example, I rarely review poetry beyond "I loved it'" or "Meh." It's much easier to explain criticism of vocabulary usage or a plot device than explain how the book felt like a snug little snow globe. So, for this Top Ten Tuesday , I'm listing books that I loved, didn't give a formal review, and (I think) didn't discuss too much.  Books I Loved But Never Reviewed A Closed and Common Orbit by Becky Chambers Tess of the Road by Rachel Hartman We Are Okay by Nina LaCour The Broken Earth Trilogy by N.K. J...