Skip to main content

Books Read in January 2026

 Here we are again! Another month, another year, another list of books read. It has been a trying month, and unfortunately I expect it will be a trying year, but I am grateful that there are so many wonderful books in the world to help me through.

Books Read in January 2026

  1. This Will Be Fun by E.B. Asher--Picked this up at a local bookstore who advertised this for their romance book club. The premise--4 members of an epic fantasy quest 10 years later--was exciting, however, while the ironic self-aware tone was humorous, it was also very detached, and I therefore had a hard time caring about or identifying with any of the characters until like 2/3 of the way through, which is just way too long. I feel like I finished it just to finish it and because I was so excited by the premise. There were definitely highlights but it was ultimately a miss for me, I think.
  2. All the Way to the River by Elizabeth Gilbert--I enjoyed this as much as I enjoy all of her books--there's something about her authenticity and honesty and the way she looks at the world which I find really helpful in sorting through/thinking about some of my baggage even though mine is very different than hers. Very interesting to learn more about love addiction, addiction in general, and also just the hard parts of being human.
  3. Mate by Ali Hazelwood--So, I've enjoyed Hazelwood's romances for a quick read in the past even though I have some issues with them. I wanted to try one of her fantasy books, so I picked this up at the library. I actually really enjoyed the werewolf politics aspect of this novel but it's mostly a romance. The romance was compelling but the, ahem, other stuff was not for me.****mild discussion of spicy stuff so skip if you don't wanna hear it****                                                         the werewolf sex scenes grossed me out a lot, and it is just, ahem, not for me. I will be avoiding werewolf romance/erotica and anything that advertises knotting in the future (the consent issues with that also bother me a lot although it's somewhat mitigated here). 
  4. Sister Wife: A Memoir of Faith, Family, and Finding Freedom by Christine Brown Woolley--So I've caught episodes of Sister Wives here and there, though I'm by no means a regular watcher and not at all caught up on recent seasons. However, Christine was always my favorite and I heard in the news/general zeitgeist that she had left Kody, and, since I like reading memoirs way more than watching reality shows, I was interested in her memoir when it came out. She has a great voice, and I loved hearing from her point of view and learning what it was like to grow up and live in polygamist Mormon groups. It's really different from anything I've experienced or am familiar with, so it's interesting to learn and think about that point of view and also see her transformation in viewpoint and how she's affected by the larger world. Very happy for her where she's at, and glad she has a husband who truly cherishes her, good relationships with the kids, and maintained her special friendship with Janelle.
  5. Say You'll Remember Me by Abby Jimenez (Book club read)--So--I absolutely hated this and was ready to DNF it because of the opening scene (threatened dog death--did not end up happening) and how much I hated both main characters in the beginning. I skipped forward and tried to read more since it was for a book club and the rest of the book is much better--I liked the characters better, the issues with dementia, family, and long-distance relationships had depth. I'd consider reading Jimenez again but I hope her other books have better beginnings!
  6. Latke'd and Loaded by Jessica Topper--Another fun Hanukkah romance--I loved how the mistaken identities tropes played out here and especially loved Jonah as a character!
  7. Match Me If You Can by Heidi Shertok--So, I'm really glad this book exists because it's an interesting peek into the modern Orthodox world. I also enjoyed the characters Ashira and Caleb and all the twists and turns. However, it could have used some more editing because some sections were just repetitive and unnecessary--like, we get what the characters' issues are, you don't need to hit us over the head with it. Ashira is one of these hilarious feisty women that I don't relate to but love reading about--reminds me a lot of Sara Goodman Confino's characters--and I definitely admire her bravery in the face of what she's dealing with and her persistence in her community and acceptance of people/Jewish characters who choose to live differently too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Books I Loved But Never Reviewed

 Reviewed is a strong word. I've mostly stopped doing formal book reviews except for author requests and/or when I feel like it, but I usually give some description and or opinions of books I'm reading, usually multiple times, through weekly and monthly wrap-ups. I do find that it' s more difficult to review my absolute favorite books than books I either disliked or engaged with strongly on an intellectual rather than emotional level. For example, I rarely review poetry beyond "I loved it'" or "Meh." It's much easier to explain criticism of vocabulary usage or a plot device than explain how the book felt like a snug little snow globe. So, for this Top Ten Tuesday , I'm listing books that I loved, didn't give a formal review, and (I think) didn't discuss too much.  Books I Loved But Never Reviewed A Closed and Common Orbit by Becky Chambers Tess of the Road by Rachel Hartman We Are Okay by Nina LaCour The Broken Earth Trilogy by N.K. J...