Skip to main content

Top Ten Books I'm Not Going to Read This Fall

 Today's Top 10 Tuesday topic is a fall freebie and I missed last week's topic-- top ten books on my fall TBR--so I think this is a fun alternative. I've been looking for ways to take things off of my plate this fall. Therefore, I'm giving myself permission to not read these books this fall, however much I may or may not want to read them in the future. I am actually reading a lot of books right now, but pretty strictly immersive cozy fantasy and other comfort reads.

Top Ten Books I'm Not Going to Read This Fall

  1. Rewitched by Lucy Jane Wood--It sounded good, it's high on many fall lists, I downloaded it, and I couldn't get into it. Maybe another fall, but not this one.
  2. Theo of Golden by Levi Allen-- Super popular, comes highly recommended, and the waiting list at the library is two hundred plus people long. See you another time, Theo of Golden.
  3. Yesteryear by Caro Claire Burke--Everybody was talking about this book this year, and when I read the concept I was interested, but now that I've read everybody's reviews, I'm honestly just not that into it, and I'm not going to read it just to participate in the discourse. I don't like characters written to be mean and I don't need to spend time with them.
  4. Land by Maggie O'Farrell-- I love her gorgeous writing and her incredible research, but man, does she pick sad topics to write about. I'm not planning to read this one anytime soon, even though I'm sure it's just as phenomenal as everyone says.
  5. When We See You Again by Rachel Goldberg-Polin-- Her story and the legacy of October 7, 2023 overall, has left plenty of scars on my heart. I'm glad she was able to say what she needed to say, and similar with Eli Sharabi, who wrote a book about being hostage, and I'm glad that so many people have been able to read them, but it's still too raw for me. 
  6. More memoirs-- Okay, so I'm actually going to break this one, but I wish I wasn't. More than one of my book clubs has been on a run of memoirs lately. I usually like memoirs, but I am now super sick of them. Unfortunately, I probably need to read at least one or two more, and then I promised myself that I'm done for a while.
  7. Heated Rivalry by Rachel Reid-- I don't even want to think about the hundreds, maybe thousands deep waiting list at the library, and I'm on a book buying ban for the foreseeable future, so this will have to wait. Luckily, there's not a shortage of other hockey romances to read in the meantime.
  8. The Frozen River by Ariel Lawhon-- I actually recently got my hands on a copy of this bestseller from a couple of years ago at my local little free library, but I'm going to hold on to it and save it for a winter read.
  9. Exit Party by Emily St. John Mandel--I love her books. When I read Station Eleven in happier times, I found it exquisite. I will not be reading her new dystopia(s), because I am sure it will overwhelm me with anxiety as much as beauty, but my admiration goes to those daring souls who made it a bestseller.
  10. Bury Our Bones in the Midnight Soil by V. E. Schwab-- I have recently, and by recently, I mean, while writing this list,  become aware that this is now available on kindle unlimited, and although it has been so popular that I have not been able to get it from the library in the past year-- I potentially actually could read it this fall. But I don't have to.


Comments

Stephen said…
I read Station 11 in March 2020. It was perfect timing for it, but definitely not happy times. XD
@Stephen--I read it pre-2020. I could not have imagined!
Ash said…
I love how you did this. Honestly I read Yesteryear and HATED it. We read it for the bookclub but other than that I never would have picked it up.
https://essentiallyash.blogspot.com/2026/09/top-ten-tuesday-fall-books-and-movies.html
Good for you for knowing your limits! Read what you enjoy, and ignore the FOMO.
Here's my TTT for the week: https://readbakecreate.com/witchy-reads-for-autumn-2026/
Lydia said…
Good for you! Not every book is for every person.

Popular posts from this blog

Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List

It's already mid-fall, so I've already read some of these, but I imagine I'll finish more before the fall is out! I'm reading quite widely these days--I seem to be reading 3-6 books at any given time, because of book clubs, yes, but also mood, format, and availability. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I received this ebook for review from LibraryThing, and I've never been quite so pleased with my choices! This was a hilarious ride from the get-go and crammed full of witchy Goth kid oddities and gore--a perfect Halloween read, and hopefully the beginning of a series! A Bridesmaid's Guide to Murder by Abigail Scott--Another ebook I received for review from LibraryThing--and whatever it is, books ending in "Guide to Murder" are killing it for me these days! (Let's not look too deep...) I'm not finished, but I'm loving it so far. Don't Forget to Write by Sara Go...

Cozy/Atmospheric Reads

I love this topic for rejoining Top Ten Tuesday!  I'm trying to lean in as much as possible to the coziness of fall and the upcoming winter season. I've done a lot better with that the last few years. Just because it isn't my favorite doesn't mean I can't enjoy it. Plus, some books I'm reading lately that are apropos for the Halloween atmosphere pervading my neighborhood this month at least.  Cozy/Atmospheric Reads Adenashire, a Cozy Fantasy Book Series by J. Penner--These books are the epitome of cozy fantasy with distinctive characters from a variety of creative fantasy backgrounds, including orcs, fennex, and gargoyles. The Bloodstained Key by Charity Rau--Not so cozy, but stiflingly atmospheric--a Gothic novel set inside a fairytale. The Unfortunate Side Effects of Heartbreak and Magic by Breanne Randall--Really captures the cozy atmosphere of a small town and a trove of magical family secrets. An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I don...

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...