Skip to main content
14. The Trophy Kids Grow Up by Ron Alsop

Never say 'permanent setback' I guess. I gobbled this one up last night. My mom handed it to me, "Oh I got this book, you might be interested..."

It's about the generation Alsop calls the millenials, born between 1980 and 2001. MY generation. And it was pure characteristic narcissism that spurred me to read it, and so quickly. Besides, I'm curious what THEY'RE saying about us!

Alsop neatly sums up our generation, our parents, and how the workplace will, or already is, adapting to us. He of course points out that he can't pigeonhole every one of us, we're all individual, but certain traits that tend to illustrate us are as follows; entitled, civic minded, technologically advanced, team oriented, narcissistic, impatient, value work-life balance, and multi-tasking. He includes a chapter devoted to each of these traits, and their impact, as well as two chapters devoted to the helicopter parent phenomenon.

I think Alsop has us well figured out, for the most part. I don't fit many of the traits of our generation, but I would say I see many of these traits in my peers, and a few in myself as well. For example, Alsop explains that millenials like clear directions at work and are often at a loss without guidelines. I definitely get frustrated when my bosses don't explain clearly what I'm supposed to do, and without getting too much into that, maybe it is because of the plethora of rubrics and outlines at school (although I always got around those dumb pre-planned theses).

I would like to think that none of his criticism of our communication skills apply to me. The stories he told of incorrectly spelled thank you notes and in-office emails with poor grammar chilled my bones. Also, as much as I revel in jeans and T-shirts at home, I like dressing nicely for work. Tailored pants or skirt suits make me feel professional, and powerful. Apparently, we're turning out to be regular office slobs.

Alsop includes a list of the four generations in the current workplace and their generational traits; Traditionalists (1925-1945), Baby Boomers (1946-1964), Gen Xers (1965-1979), and of course us Millenials (1980-2001); in his introductory chapter.

Funnily enough, I think I'm straight Gen X; self-reliant, adaptable, cynical, distrusts authority, resourceful, entrepreneurial, and technology savvy. I'm everything but the last one. I would say I know plenty of people my age who are adaptable, self-reliant, and entrepreneurial, but Alsop claims we rely too much on our parents.

Trophy Kids just came out in 2008 though, and missed the worst of the recession. I think our generation's characteristics will change a lot based on that. This book has a good picture of where we were headed, but now I think the story will be tweaked. Millenials will lose a lot of that entitlement when they're just trying to make a living. I know I don't expect to get too many job offers, I'll snap up whatever I can get and put up with a lot to keep food on my table. Yes, I am one of the lucky ones who has the option to fall back on my parents, but I would be ashamed to do so. However, when Alsop says we'll bounce around and won't have company loyalty like the old folks did, that's probably an accurate assessment.

Much of the book is anecdotal, and based squarely in corporate America. It's not the whole picture, but hey, we like seeing any part of ourselves in the mirror.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Books with Single-Word Titles

Happy Top Ten Tuesday over at That Artsy Reader Girl! Books with Single-Word Titles These are all my favorite books that I could think of with one-word titles. A lot of fantasy, a few nonfiction (minus subtitles) and Kindred , whether you consider it scifi or historical fiction. Also two portmanteaus using the word "bitter." I suppose it's a word that lends itself to amelioration. 1. Sweetbitter by Stephanie Danler 2. Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore 3. Fire by Kristin Cashore 4. Heartless by Marissa Meyer 5. Inheritance by Christopher Paolini 6. Meditations by Marcus Aurelius 7. Stoned by Aja Raden (has a subtitle) 8. Educated by Tara Westover 9. Fledgling by Octavia Butler 10. Kindred by Octavia Butler

Feliz Ano Nuevo!

Speaking of cultures and society, I leave for Spain on January 9. Instead of continuing as a book blog with a specific goal for number of books to read in a year, Space Station Mir will become a chronicle for my adventures in Spain. Expect a post for each new place that I visit, with pictures! I also plan to continue reviewing books, however I will not make a set goal for number of books to read this year. I do pledge myself to read at least one book in Spanish that was not assigned for a class. In terms of my goals for 2009, I was not diligent enough in keeping track of them. Looking back, I've fulfilled some of them and not others. The greatest trend in my reading this year, which marks a huge deviation for me, is that I've read more non-fiction than I think I've read any other year in my life. I've finally developed the ability to sustain interest in non-fiction other than biographies. For a while, biographies were the only non-fiction I ever read, with the exception

Most Recent Books I Did Not Finish

 I feel like I've been DNFing a fair amount lately, mostly with review books. I feel obligated to read review books longer than I would if they were books I just picked up on my own. That said, I have a caveat in my Book Review Policy  that if I feel I am not the right audience for the book, I won't post a review. I try to avoid that by only picking books I genuinely think I will enjoy, but of course I can't always predict that before I read. Also, while book clubs have been a great way to get exposed to books I wouldn't normally read, tastes will differ and every once in a while, I find a book I'm just not willing to finish. I also want to say no shade to the authors or anyone who enjoyed these books--they just weren't for me. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Most Recent Books I Did Not Finish 1. Caribbean Competitors by Poppy Minnix--LibraryThing review--This one sounded great and has a beautiful cover, but while the island setting was compelling, I just couldn't ge