Skip to main content
14. The Trophy Kids Grow Up by Ron Alsop

Never say 'permanent setback' I guess. I gobbled this one up last night. My mom handed it to me, "Oh I got this book, you might be interested..."

It's about the generation Alsop calls the millenials, born between 1980 and 2001. MY generation. And it was pure characteristic narcissism that spurred me to read it, and so quickly. Besides, I'm curious what THEY'RE saying about us!

Alsop neatly sums up our generation, our parents, and how the workplace will, or already is, adapting to us. He of course points out that he can't pigeonhole every one of us, we're all individual, but certain traits that tend to illustrate us are as follows; entitled, civic minded, technologically advanced, team oriented, narcissistic, impatient, value work-life balance, and multi-tasking. He includes a chapter devoted to each of these traits, and their impact, as well as two chapters devoted to the helicopter parent phenomenon.

I think Alsop has us well figured out, for the most part. I don't fit many of the traits of our generation, but I would say I see many of these traits in my peers, and a few in myself as well. For example, Alsop explains that millenials like clear directions at work and are often at a loss without guidelines. I definitely get frustrated when my bosses don't explain clearly what I'm supposed to do, and without getting too much into that, maybe it is because of the plethora of rubrics and outlines at school (although I always got around those dumb pre-planned theses).

I would like to think that none of his criticism of our communication skills apply to me. The stories he told of incorrectly spelled thank you notes and in-office emails with poor grammar chilled my bones. Also, as much as I revel in jeans and T-shirts at home, I like dressing nicely for work. Tailored pants or skirt suits make me feel professional, and powerful. Apparently, we're turning out to be regular office slobs.

Alsop includes a list of the four generations in the current workplace and their generational traits; Traditionalists (1925-1945), Baby Boomers (1946-1964), Gen Xers (1965-1979), and of course us Millenials (1980-2001); in his introductory chapter.

Funnily enough, I think I'm straight Gen X; self-reliant, adaptable, cynical, distrusts authority, resourceful, entrepreneurial, and technology savvy. I'm everything but the last one. I would say I know plenty of people my age who are adaptable, self-reliant, and entrepreneurial, but Alsop claims we rely too much on our parents.

Trophy Kids just came out in 2008 though, and missed the worst of the recession. I think our generation's characteristics will change a lot based on that. This book has a good picture of where we were headed, but now I think the story will be tweaked. Millenials will lose a lot of that entitlement when they're just trying to make a living. I know I don't expect to get too many job offers, I'll snap up whatever I can get and put up with a lot to keep food on my table. Yes, I am one of the lucky ones who has the option to fall back on my parents, but I would be ashamed to do so. However, when Alsop says we'll bounce around and won't have company loyalty like the old folks did, that's probably an accurate assessment.

Much of the book is anecdotal, and based squarely in corporate America. It's not the whole picture, but hey, we like seeing any part of ourselves in the mirror.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Best Books I Read in 2025

 Woof. This was--I guess kind of an average reading year? Mostly good or decent reads, a few mediocre ones or ones that weren't for me. The books I'm including below are the ones I've thought about most this year--particularly The Feather Thief and Better Living Through Birding --it's hard to imagine I only read them in 2025! I guess I'm officially a nonfiction fan now. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Best Books I Read in 2025 Thistlefoot by GennaRose Nethercott--I loved Baba Yaga as a kid and I love this modern, Jewish take on the story The Feather Thief: Beauty, Obsession, and the Natural History Heist of the Century by Kirk W. Johnson--I'd recommend this to anyone. Just a fascinating story--I never knew how much I wanted to know about fly-tying and the mystery of dead nineteenth century birds Sunrise on the Reaping by Suzanne Collins--Another gut-wrenching Hunger Games triumph--and maybe unfortunately one more for our times  Lessons in Magic and Disaster by Charlie ...