Skip to main content
19. Belinda by Maria Edgeworth

I can't decide if Belinda is subversive for its time or not. It was left over from my eighteenth century class reading, my professor had us buy it and then decided not to cover it. It was the last book in my room that I hadn't read. So I am now free to buy a book from an indie bookstore on May 1st!

Belinda is, of course, the main character, and the book follows very typical patterns for an eighteenth or nineteenth century novel. The style was very similar to Jane Austen's novels, although distinct in some ways as well. The characters were less interesting, but also, I think, more realistic than Miss Austen's.

Belinda is a young lady in society under the care of the dissipated Lady Delacour. And what must ladies in society do but marry for money? Only Belinda learns, quite early, that she wishes to marry for domestic happiness.

Edgeworth drags the reader through some contemporary London society, introduces her love interest, Clarence Hervey, and then distracts with a long volume dedicated to Lady Delacour's mysterious illness and subsequent reformation. The book has every element of the eighteenth-century novel, it is a "moral tale," involves the criticism of partying and gossiping, the elevation of domestic life, two potential love interests (though one is clearly favored), a "good" advisor and a "bad" advisor, and a lost child re-discovered by a convenient mole.

Edgeworth does have unusually witty, and self-aware dialogue. The characters discuss books as well as morals, there is much criticism of clergymen, and best of all, no clear-cut villains and angels. The celebrated Lady Anne Percival promotes the "wrong" love interest to Belinda, while the society cougar Lady Delacour helps Belinda find her heart. The books ends on a somewhat satirical note, with Edgeworth blasting the speed with which characters suddenly fall in love and marry at the end of a novel, as well as the notion that they will live happily ever after. Since there is much poetry (and French) sprinkled throughout, the ending couplet feels well put.

"Our tale contains a moral, and, no doubt,
You all have wit enough to find it out."

Not just for the scholars, Belinda could very well please today's ravenous Austen fans.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Cozy/Atmospheric Reads

I love this topic for rejoining Top Ten Tuesday!  I'm trying to lean in as much as possible to the coziness of fall and the upcoming winter season. I've done a lot better with that the last few years. Just because it isn't my favorite doesn't mean I can't enjoy it. Plus, some books I'm reading lately that are apropos for the Halloween atmosphere pervading my neighborhood this month at least.  Cozy/Atmospheric Reads Adenashire, a Cozy Fantasy Book Series by J. Penner--These books are the epitome of cozy fantasy with distinctive characters from a variety of creative fantasy backgrounds, including orcs, fennex, and gargoyles. The Bloodstained Key by Charity Rau--Not so cozy, but stiflingly atmospheric--a Gothic novel set inside a fairytale. The Unfortunate Side Effects of Heartbreak and Magic by Breanne Randall--Really captures the cozy atmosphere of a small town and a trove of magical family secrets. An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I don...

Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List

It's already mid-fall, so I've already read some of these, but I imagine I'll finish more before the fall is out! I'm reading quite widely these days--I seem to be reading 3-6 books at any given time, because of book clubs, yes, but also mood, format, and availability. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I received this ebook for review from LibraryThing, and I've never been quite so pleased with my choices! This was a hilarious ride from the get-go and crammed full of witchy Goth kid oddities and gore--a perfect Halloween read, and hopefully the beginning of a series! A Bridesmaid's Guide to Murder by Abigail Scott--Another ebook I received for review from LibraryThing--and whatever it is, books ending in "Guide to Murder" are killing it for me these days! (Let's not look too deep...) I'm not finished, but I'm loving it so far. Don't Forget to Write by Sara Go...