Skip to main content
16. The Last Light of the Sun by Guy Gavriel Kay

Being suddenly immersed in a fantasy world, it's often difficult to get your bearings. Guy Gavriel Kay doesn't make it easy. He plunges the reader immediately into the action, complete with strange names, geographic and cultural references. However, there is something familiar about this tale of Northern lands and raiders, an emerging seacoast kingdom, and inland agricultural tribes.

In his Acknowledgments, Kay explains that his three peoples are based on the Vikings, Anglo-Saxons, and Celtics respectively. This is something I discovered for myself before too long, but I think I would have liked to have known it going in. It would have made the book immediately more accessible.

Strands of the tale are indeed reminiscent of Beowulf and the legends of King Arthur, but it has a cohesive spirit all its own. The stories seem disconnected at first, but eventually the three peoples come into contact, and the world changes. A worthy, timeless saga.

Kay's writing style also struck me as somewhat original. His language is simple and pictorial. The flow not only appears effortless (though I am sure it is not), but I hope it is a style which I could someday achieve. I would not wish simply to copy Kay, of course, but I would like to incorporate it into a way I have already been writing. The best way to show you is an example such as this;

"Hope, a licence to dream. The beginnings of these things. Men gather close around a night fire in Beortferth Hall, walls and a roof between them and the rain at last. There is one bard among them, his instrument damply out of tune. It doesn't matter. He sings the old songs, and Aeldred joins in the singing, and then all of them do (158)"

This passage is a flashback, describing the winter when Aeldred has become king after the slaughter of his father and brother by their enemies the Erlings, who are still occupying their lands. Aeldred, king of the Anglcyn, builds up a force that winter and retakes his lands in the spring. To me, the passage evokes a pre-Camelot, or Hrothgar's mead hall when tidings of Beowulf arrive.

The Last Light of the Sun is an epic of the past in a modern style, and it is fantasy at its best. Fantasy and science fiction show us who we were, who we could have been, and who we could be. The only mythical creatures in this book are faeries, and they fit in too, with the tales men used to tell. Even if it's not true, I believe it still has a meaning we can take to heart; there is so much more out there than we can ever know or understand, and Kay believes, with or without us, it will go on.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Cozy/Atmospheric Reads

I love this topic for rejoining Top Ten Tuesday!  I'm trying to lean in as much as possible to the coziness of fall and the upcoming winter season. I've done a lot better with that the last few years. Just because it isn't my favorite doesn't mean I can't enjoy it. Plus, some books I'm reading lately that are apropos for the Halloween atmosphere pervading my neighborhood this month at least.  Cozy/Atmospheric Reads Adenashire, a Cozy Fantasy Book Series by J. Penner--These books are the epitome of cozy fantasy with distinctive characters from a variety of creative fantasy backgrounds, including orcs, fennex, and gargoyles. The Bloodstained Key by Charity Rau--Not so cozy, but stiflingly atmospheric--a Gothic novel set inside a fairytale. The Unfortunate Side Effects of Heartbreak and Magic by Breanne Randall--Really captures the cozy atmosphere of a small town and a trove of magical family secrets. An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I don...

Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List

It's already mid-fall, so I've already read some of these, but I imagine I'll finish more before the fall is out! I'm reading quite widely these days--I seem to be reading 3-6 books at any given time, because of book clubs, yes, but also mood, format, and availability. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I received this ebook for review from LibraryThing, and I've never been quite so pleased with my choices! This was a hilarious ride from the get-go and crammed full of witchy Goth kid oddities and gore--a perfect Halloween read, and hopefully the beginning of a series! A Bridesmaid's Guide to Murder by Abigail Scott--Another ebook I received for review from LibraryThing--and whatever it is, books ending in "Guide to Murder" are killing it for me these days! (Let's not look too deep...) I'm not finished, but I'm loving it so far. Don't Forget to Write by Sara Go...