Skip to main content

Top Ten Least Favorite Romances

So the real Top Ten Tuesday this week is "Top Ten Favorite Romances," presumably in honor of Valentine's Day. But I don't read a lot of romance-focused books and would just end up reproducing my list of Top Ten Romances I Think would Last Outside the Book. Thus, a far more entertaining list of my top ten LEAST favorite romances.

1. Pamela and Mr. B from Pamela by Samuel Richardson

Ugh. Marrying a wannabe rapist. Ugh.

2. Jane Eyre and Mr. Rochester from Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

Ugh. Marrying a lying bigamist. Ugh.

3. Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Darcy from Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Ugh. Marrying a stuck-up prig. Ugh.

4. Bella Swan and Edward Cullen from Twilight by Stephanie Meyer

*Disclaimer* I have not actually read the whole book.

However, the guy creeps into her house to watch her sleep? STALKER. Don't date him, girl.

5. Juliet Capulet and Romeo Montague from Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare

Romances that end in death? That's not romantic, that's TRAGIC.

6. Helena and Bertram from All's Well That Ends Well by William Shakespeare

Marrying a guy that makes you trick him into sleeping with you before he agrees to acknowledge your existence? Too many mind games. Ugh.

7. Travellia and the Prince from Assaulted and Pursued Chastity by Margaret Cavendish

Also, marrying a would-be rapist. Ugh. But the Prince goes through a lot more rehabilitation than Mr. B and Travellia still gets to maintain a lot of power at the end. So it's preferable to Pamela's lot. But that still doesn't make it OKAY.

8. Tess D'Urberville and Angel Clare from Tess of the D'Urbervilles
by Thomas Hardy

Really? You're going to get rid of your wife when you find out she was raped?

9. The unnamed narrator and Maxim from Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier

Great book, but I still do not care for that callous courtship and the way Maxim keeps his wife entirely in the dark about everything and blames her for the slightest misstep.

10. Arabella and Mr. Glanville from The Female Quixote by Charlotte Lennox

This is just one of those romances that I find wholly unsupported. It's as if Lizzie Bennet had decided to marry Mr. Collins after all (not that she made a much better choice). Sure, Mr. Glanville is into Arabella's looks...but he completely looks down on everything she's interested in and actively considers her crazy. If that's not a horrible basis for marriage, what is?

Comments

Christine said…
Ha! Great list. Damn Rochester. They made my list too.
Claudia said…
Here's an awesome romance, though: me and this list. It's inanimate and I don't think it can love me back, but I love the heck out of it anyway :)

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Best Books I Read in 2025

 Woof. This was--I guess kind of an average reading year? Mostly good or decent reads, a few mediocre ones or ones that weren't for me. The books I'm including below are the ones I've thought about most this year--particularly The Feather Thief and Better Living Through Birding --it's hard to imagine I only read them in 2025! I guess I'm officially a nonfiction fan now. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Best Books I Read in 2025 Thistlefoot by GennaRose Nethercott--I loved Baba Yaga as a kid and I love this modern, Jewish take on the story The Feather Thief: Beauty, Obsession, and the Natural History Heist of the Century by Kirk W. Johnson--I'd recommend this to anyone. Just a fascinating story--I never knew how much I wanted to know about fly-tying and the mystery of dead nineteenth century birds Sunrise on the Reaping by Suzanne Collins--Another gut-wrenching Hunger Games triumph--and maybe unfortunately one more for our times  Lessons in Magic and Disaster by Charlie ...