Skip to main content

Top Ten Books I'd Like for Hanukkah

I had to modify this week's topic for the Broke and the Bookish Top Ten Tuesday meme a bit.

Lately, I'm an inferno of book lust, despite a lot less time for actual reading, since I'm working 2-3 jobs/internships, plus grad applications, which are thankfully almost over. I did finish Neverwhere and The Perks of Being a Wallflower recently, which had both been on my to-read list for many years, and am more than halfway through The Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides. I hope to get reviews up at some point, but we'll see.

1. Divergent by Veronica Roth

Sounds like a great dystopia novel with a kick-ass female protagonist.

2. The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

Heard such great things and I am a fan of beautiful, magical writing.

3. The School of Night by Louis Bayard

Heard him speak at the National Book Festival and am totally hooked by a tale of sixteenth century rogues and DC academics.

4. Out of Oz by Gregory Maguire

I loved Wicked, heard Maguire read a passage from Out of Oz, I want it.

5. The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss

Loved The Name of the Wind, need more awesome fantasy in my life.

6. The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N.K. Jemisin

Again, need more awesome fantasy in my life.

7. The Map of Time by Felix J. Palma

Time travel, sci fi, and H.G. Wells, I'm intrigued.

8. Catherine the Great by Robert K. Massie

I hear great things and I know it's time I learned more about Catherine.

9. Destiny of the Republic by Candice Millard

I heard her speak and was totally overcome by her passion for her subject. This has to be good.

10. Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

Heard about this one from Books on the Nightstand, plus a friend with similar taste loved it, so I expect I will too.

I could go on...

Comments

The only book on your list that I have read is Divergent, but it was absolutely fabulous and Tris is definitely the definition of a kick-ass heroine. Totally love her.

I hope that you have a wonderful holiday season!
I think just about everyone could use some more awesome fantasy in their lives. I know I certainly could!
LBC said…
I just finished The Night Circus, and I think it would make a great Christmas present. Hope you receive some of these!

Popular posts from this blog

Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List

It's already mid-fall, so I've already read some of these, but I imagine I'll finish more before the fall is out! I'm reading quite widely these days--I seem to be reading 3-6 books at any given time, because of book clubs, yes, but also mood, format, and availability. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I received this ebook for review from LibraryThing, and I've never been quite so pleased with my choices! This was a hilarious ride from the get-go and crammed full of witchy Goth kid oddities and gore--a perfect Halloween read, and hopefully the beginning of a series! A Bridesmaid's Guide to Murder by Abigail Scott--Another ebook I received for review from LibraryThing--and whatever it is, books ending in "Guide to Murder" are killing it for me these days! (Let's not look too deep...) I'm not finished, but I'm loving it so far. Don't Forget to Write by Sara Go...

Cozy/Atmospheric Reads

I love this topic for rejoining Top Ten Tuesday!  I'm trying to lean in as much as possible to the coziness of fall and the upcoming winter season. I've done a lot better with that the last few years. Just because it isn't my favorite doesn't mean I can't enjoy it. Plus, some books I'm reading lately that are apropos for the Halloween atmosphere pervading my neighborhood this month at least.  Cozy/Atmospheric Reads Adenashire, a Cozy Fantasy Book Series by J. Penner--These books are the epitome of cozy fantasy with distinctive characters from a variety of creative fantasy backgrounds, including orcs, fennex, and gargoyles. The Bloodstained Key by Charity Rau--Not so cozy, but stiflingly atmospheric--a Gothic novel set inside a fairytale. The Unfortunate Side Effects of Heartbreak and Magic by Breanne Randall--Really captures the cozy atmosphere of a small town and a trove of magical family secrets. An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I don...

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...