Skip to main content

Top Ten Books I'd Hand to Someone Who Says They Don't Like to Read

Honestly, this week's topic for the Broke and the Bookish often stumps me. Because anyone who knows me knows I am a huge bookworm, I am often asked to recommend books and sometimes to people who say they don't like to read.

I don't know what it feels like not to love reading. I have always loved stories and was read to even before I could read. I remember the mechanics of learning to read were difficult and I recall struggling with it, but that's the only disincentive to read I remember. And I still wanted people to read to me. I have a lot of sympathy with kids (or adults) who are learning to read, and especially with kids I've worked with and known personally, reading a fantasy book with them, such as Harry Potter or The Hobbit or even Eragon, has inspired them to want to read or read more.

But for adults who don't like to read? It's complicated. Some look down on fantasy or science fiction, refuse to read on principle or just have no interest. Some will read "trashy" romance or mystery novels, for the thrills and suspense. Others refuse to read anything but nonfiction, because they consider themselves above all that. (Well, no wonder they think reading is boring*).

Recommending books to someone who doesn't like to read is all about that person's individual tastes and what they will tolerate. I don't think there are universal books that everyone will like. Like I said, kids seem to be a little easier to get into reading than adults. I'm going to list 5 books that are tried and proven to get kids into reading and my 5 best guesses for adults, but again, these are books that I've liked that I really don't know if the average adult would be into.

Top 5 Books for Kids Who Don't Like to Read

1. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling-and on from there.

2. The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster

3. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis

4. Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine (Sadly, probably only the girls will go for this one).

5. The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo

Top 5 Books for Adults Who Don't Like to Read

1. Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen

2. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson

3. The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz

4. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain

5. The Devil Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger (Sadly, probably only women will read this).

*Kidding! I know not all nonfiction is boring.

Comments

usagi, said…
It seems almost everyone has "Harry Potter" on their lists - which is good, but it's also hilarious.

And yay, you chose "Dragon Tattoo", too! Awesome. :)

My TTT for the week
Sue Jackson said…
Interesting lists! I also made one list for kids and one for adults. You have some of my favorites here and also some I need to check out!

Sue

Great Books for Kids and Teens

Book By Book
Interesting take on "books"... it seems like you understood it to mean "novels." I like how bloggers take this meme and make it their own, and I appreciate your thoughts. However, even though I've been a lifelong bookworm, I took my list in a whole different direction... Have a look: http://www.thehunsblog.com/2012/02/top-10-tuesday.html

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Cozy/Atmospheric Reads

I love this topic for rejoining Top Ten Tuesday!  I'm trying to lean in as much as possible to the coziness of fall and the upcoming winter season. I've done a lot better with that the last few years. Just because it isn't my favorite doesn't mean I can't enjoy it. Plus, some books I'm reading lately that are apropos for the Halloween atmosphere pervading my neighborhood this month at least.  Cozy/Atmospheric Reads Adenashire, a Cozy Fantasy Book Series by J. Penner--These books are the epitome of cozy fantasy with distinctive characters from a variety of creative fantasy backgrounds, including orcs, fennex, and gargoyles. The Bloodstained Key by Charity Rau--Not so cozy, but stiflingly atmospheric--a Gothic novel set inside a fairytale. The Unfortunate Side Effects of Heartbreak and Magic by Breanne Randall--Really captures the cozy atmosphere of a small town and a trove of magical family secrets. An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I don...

Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List

It's already mid-fall, so I've already read some of these, but I imagine I'll finish more before the fall is out! I'm reading quite widely these days--I seem to be reading 3-6 books at any given time, because of book clubs, yes, but also mood, format, and availability. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I received this ebook for review from LibraryThing, and I've never been quite so pleased with my choices! This was a hilarious ride from the get-go and crammed full of witchy Goth kid oddities and gore--a perfect Halloween read, and hopefully the beginning of a series! A Bridesmaid's Guide to Murder by Abigail Scott--Another ebook I received for review from LibraryThing--and whatever it is, books ending in "Guide to Murder" are killing it for me these days! (Let's not look too deep...) I'm not finished, but I'm loving it so far. Don't Forget to Write by Sara Go...