Skip to main content

Top Ten Books I Wish People in Baltimore (and Everywhere) Were Reading Instead

So, I was going to post the regular Top Ten Tuesday, but tonight, my hometown is on the news all over the nation. I hear all kinds of reports from all kinds of angles--including multiple people who are in the city right now. What happened, and has been happening, in our city and other places, is shameful. People do not deserve to be mistreated because of the color of their skin---or anything else. Protesting is a natural reaction. Rioting, unfortunately, is too. Here's what I wish people were doing instead of rioting AND instead of complaining about rioters--trying to find a way to stop and listen. And sometimes, there's no better way to do that than to read.

1. Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred D. Taylor



It's a kids' book, but hear me out. I think I first began to understand the depth of inequality while reading this book and its sequels. Cassie Logan grows up on her family's land in the 1930s, and begins to realize the racism directed at her and her family.

2. White Lilacs by Carolyn Meyer



Also aimed at younger readers, but skewed a little older than Thunder, White Lilacs is about Rosa Lee Jefferson, who learns her Texas town will be razed because the white town nearby wants their land. I also learned about racism from this book, but mostly I just remember loving the book and the characters.

3. Rosa Parks: My Story by Rosa Parks and Jim Haskins



Such a strong story from such a strong woman. I remember reading this and being totally blown over that, no, Rosa Parks' decision was no accident, she did what she did fully aware of the consequences.

4. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee



Not my favorite, it's true, but I think Mockingbird unfortunately still has a lot to say about the injustice of our legal systems.

5. Twelve Angry Men by Reginald Rose



We are all the characters in this play sometimes. We get worked up, or apathetic, or determined, and we think we see things one way, and then realize the opposite. And that's why we should be very, very careful...

6. The Crucible by Arthur Miller



And sometimes we all go on witch hunts, whether it's what we believe or because we think we can get something out of it and not care whose lives were ruined.

7. I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou



Can't leave off Maya Angelou during National Poetry Month. Go read all her poems, now. Race is a big part of Angelou's identity and culture, but I think this also provides insight into what it means to grow up poor.

8. Parable of the Sower by Octavia Butler



This is set in the future rather than the past, but it's eerily familiar. Lauren Olamina grows up in a compound surrounded by lawlessness. Her world has fallen apart, and she finds the strength to go on.

9. Every Boy Should Have a Man by Preston L. Allen



This is a more modern allegory that posits a society where giants keep humans as pets. It has repercussions for animal rights, environmental rights, and yes, civil rights.

10. Feminism is for Everybody by bell hooks



Because it's not just about women, it's about people and the elimination of hierarchy.

Comments

ChrissiReads said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
ChrissiReads said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
ChrissiReads said…
Wow. Such a powerful list! :-) These books are all so important in different ways.My TTT!
A big amen to Roll of Thunder. That story hit me in the gut because the story takes place at the same time and near the same spot that my dad grew up (rural 1930's Mississippi) except my dad's family was white. A very clear way for me to see a what-if.


Here's mine: Book Characters Who Can Teach Us How to Be Happy.

Popular posts from this blog

Books I Loved But Never Reviewed

 Reviewed is a strong word. I've mostly stopped doing formal book reviews except for author requests and/or when I feel like it, but I usually give some description and or opinions of books I'm reading, usually multiple times, through weekly and monthly wrap-ups. I do find that it' s more difficult to review my absolute favorite books than books I either disliked or engaged with strongly on an intellectual rather than emotional level. For example, I rarely review poetry beyond "I loved it'" or "Meh." It's much easier to explain criticism of vocabulary usage or a plot device than explain how the book felt like a snug little snow globe. So, for this Top Ten Tuesday , I'm listing books that I loved, didn't give a formal review, and (I think) didn't discuss too much.  Books I Loved But Never Reviewed A Closed and Common Orbit by Becky Chambers Tess of the Road by Rachel Hartman We Are Okay by Nina LaCour The Broken Earth Trilogy by N.K. J...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Books That Conjure Up Happy Memories

Happy Top Ten Tuesday!  I'm trying to get back in the swing. This one is asking for a bit more work than usual since I can't just pull up Goodreads, which I've only had as an adult. I do still have some of these on the shelves at least. Books That Conjure Up Happy Memories  The Source by James Michener-- Going to Barnes & Noble with my grandpa who wanted to pick out this book for me since he thought I would enjoy it (he was right) Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Ann Brashares--My friend lending me the first 2 books at camp The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis--Reading these aloud with my dad The books by she who must not be named--Reading these aloud with my brother A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle--Finding this in the children's section of a library I went to as a kid The Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler--Reading this as a kid, teaching it as an adult, and sharing with other adults who appreciated it in one of my book clubs Last Day on M...