Skip to main content

Top Ten Books Every Gamer Should Read

Happy Top Ten Tuesday at the Broke and the Bookish!

Disclaimer: I am not a big gamer myself, but my boyfriend is and he agrees with me on most of these (and hasn't read the rest).

1. Ready Player One by Ernest Cline


For anyone nostalgic for the '80s and early '90s.








2. Armada by Ernest Cline

This is the only one I haven't read, but my boyfriend read and liked it, although he did say it wasn't as good as Ready Player One.







3. Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

For fans of shoot 'em up games in space, like XCom.








4. You're Never Weird on the Internet (Almost) by Felicia Day

For WoW fans or recovering addicts, also fans of Geek & Sundry and/or Felicia Day.







5. Dune by Frank Herbert


For fans of space or other colonization games, like Space Engineers or Civilization.








6. A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

For fans of fantasy games, like Dragon Age and the Elder Scrolls.








7. Range of Ghosts by Elizabeth Bear

Also for fans of Dragon Age and the Elder Scrolls.








8. The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin

For fans of space and Star Wars games








9. The Belgariad and Malloreon by David Eddings


Also for fans of fantasy and colonization type games.







10. World War Z by Max Brooks

For fans of Day-Z,  Fallout, and The Walking Dead.


Comments

Very good list!! I haven't read any of the books on your list this week. I'll have to check out a few of the titles further through Amazon or GoodReads.


Here's a link to my TTT post for this week: http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2016/04/top-ten-tuesday-ten-books-every-russian.html
Anonymous said…
Not being a gamer, I was a bit skeptical about finding anything I've read. To my surprise, I found several -- Elizabeth Bear, Left Hand of Darkness, Dune. I should count Dune 20 times, because I've read it at least that often -- and it never disappoints. The sequels, though -- yuck! My TTT.
@Ed-A lot of games out there match up well with different kinds of books; I hope more people can recognize that! I am a big fan of Dune and I like the sequels as well, though I know they're not for everybody.

Popular posts from this blog

Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List

It's already mid-fall, so I've already read some of these, but I imagine I'll finish more before the fall is out! I'm reading quite widely these days--I seem to be reading 3-6 books at any given time, because of book clubs, yes, but also mood, format, and availability. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I received this ebook for review from LibraryThing, and I've never been quite so pleased with my choices! This was a hilarious ride from the get-go and crammed full of witchy Goth kid oddities and gore--a perfect Halloween read, and hopefully the beginning of a series! A Bridesmaid's Guide to Murder by Abigail Scott--Another ebook I received for review from LibraryThing--and whatever it is, books ending in "Guide to Murder" are killing it for me these days! (Let's not look too deep...) I'm not finished, but I'm loving it so far. Don't Forget to Write by Sara Go...

Cozy/Atmospheric Reads

I love this topic for rejoining Top Ten Tuesday!  I'm trying to lean in as much as possible to the coziness of fall and the upcoming winter season. I've done a lot better with that the last few years. Just because it isn't my favorite doesn't mean I can't enjoy it. Plus, some books I'm reading lately that are apropos for the Halloween atmosphere pervading my neighborhood this month at least.  Cozy/Atmospheric Reads Adenashire, a Cozy Fantasy Book Series by J. Penner--These books are the epitome of cozy fantasy with distinctive characters from a variety of creative fantasy backgrounds, including orcs, fennex, and gargoyles. The Bloodstained Key by Charity Rau--Not so cozy, but stiflingly atmospheric--a Gothic novel set inside a fairytale. The Unfortunate Side Effects of Heartbreak and Magic by Breanne Randall--Really captures the cozy atmosphere of a small town and a trove of magical family secrets. An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I don...

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...