Skip to main content

Top Ten Books on My Fall 2018 TBR

Happy Top Ten Tuesday Over at That Artsy Reader Girl!

Top Ten Books On My Fall TBR

I've already read a couple books on my fall TBR, but there are always more books to read!

1. I'd Rather Be Reading by Anne Bogel
Already finished! Highly recommend to all readers!

2. P.S. I Still Love You by Jenny Han
I love Lara Jean!

3. Sorcerer to the Crown by Zen Cho

 This article on complicated magical families re-whet my appetite, and reminded me why it's been on my TBR list: "early reviews...made copious comparisons to both Austen's work and Clarke's masterpiece."

4. Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik

Not only do I love fairy tale remixes generally, but "Rumpelstiltskin"was a recurring bedtime tale growing up at my house!

5. The Best American Science Fiction and Fantasy, 2018 ed. N.K. Jemisin

Edited by N.K. Jemisin. Need I say more?

6. Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi

I bought and started it over the summer, but it's lost in one of the boxes from moving...extra incentive to unpack.

7. If All the Seas Were Ink by Ilana Kurshan

Memoir plus Talmud, plus won the 2018 Sami Rohr prize for Jewish literature.

8. A Place for Us by Fatima Farheen Mirza

Started reading in the bookstore and got engrossed; I love stories about complicated families and especially sibling relationships.

9. Ruin of Kings by Jenn Lyons

I'm intrigued from a recent article on Unique Narrative Devices in Fantasy. Give me all the footnotes and books-within-books!

10. Born a Crime by Trevor Noah

Read an excerpt from Random House's Season of Stories and really need to read the rest!

Comments

curlygeek04 said…
Born a Crime is excellent. You've got a few on your list I really want to read, like Spinning Silver - but it will be a while before I get it from the library. Enjoy your fall reading!
Hope you love Children of Blood and Bone! And definitely a motivation to unpack, haha. It's the other way around for me - I'm having to pack right now and I'm simply refusing packing up books I haven't read yet. Just in case I feel the need to pick them up before the move [which we don't even know the exact date of anyway!]

Happy reading! :D [And unpacking, haha.]

Here's my TTT should you be interested. :)
https://booksandmunches.com/2018/09/18/ttt-18092018/
@curlygeek04 Thanks! I'm really looking forward to Born a Crime!

@Kathy I'm sure I will love Children of Blood and Bone when I find it! I completely understand your hesitancy--I did the same thing. But I did end up having to pack way too much at the end :-(

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Best Books I Read in 2025

 Woof. This was--I guess kind of an average reading year? Mostly good or decent reads, a few mediocre ones or ones that weren't for me. The books I'm including below are the ones I've thought about most this year--particularly The Feather Thief and Better Living Through Birding --it's hard to imagine I only read them in 2025! I guess I'm officially a nonfiction fan now. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Best Books I Read in 2025 Thistlefoot by GennaRose Nethercott--I loved Baba Yaga as a kid and I love this modern, Jewish take on the story The Feather Thief: Beauty, Obsession, and the Natural History Heist of the Century by Kirk W. Johnson--I'd recommend this to anyone. Just a fascinating story--I never knew how much I wanted to know about fly-tying and the mystery of dead nineteenth century birds Sunrise on the Reaping by Suzanne Collins--Another gut-wrenching Hunger Games triumph--and maybe unfortunately one more for our times  Lessons in Magic and Disaster by Charlie ...