Skip to main content

What I'm Reading

Just Finished:

American Cake by Anne Byrn

I started this awhile ago and finished it recently, but I can't emphasize enough how fascinating I found this book! I love how Byrn anchors the cakes in American history with references to contemporary cookbooks and interviews with contemporary cooks. It was amazing how even small things that I know tied in, like her reference to Passover cakes in the entry on flourless chocolate cake, and how pineapple upside-down cake was found in a synagogue cookbook. You can see the influence of different cultures and moments on American cake--she dates the 1990s cupcake boom to a Sex and the City episode, and she includes a Tres Leches Cake recipe for the 2010s. Highly recommend, and can't wait to read American Cookie!

Currently Reading:

The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt

I've been meaning to read this since it won the Pulitzer a few years ago, but I didn't love The Secret History, and it seemed like such a doorstopper. Well, I am so glad I picked this up. Unlike The Secret History (so far), it's just my cup of tea, and I realized that I tend to have a weakness for books centered on a work of art (The Art Forger, From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler)--which is strange, because I'm not a huge fan of art in general!

The Other Alcott by Elise Hooper

Started listening to this audiobook I got from the library--so far, it's a bit polemical on the "you don't have to suffer to be an artist" to illustrate the difference between Louisa and May, which--eh. I dislike the consistent portrait of Louisa as suffering artist; she had fun, she supported her family, she bought her own big freaking house! And, also, I find it hard to believe that May's life was really that overshadowed by being compared to Amy March, but, we'll see.

DNF:

The Final Frontier: Stories of Exploring Space, Colonizing the Universe, and First Contact, edited by Neil Clarke

I was so excited that I was the first person to get this on hold out of the library--and then I was disappointed. The first four stories are incredibly melancholy in nature, and most or all primary characters die in each. In fact, the most hopeful story has the protagonist dying in space after (temporarily) saving the remnants of the human race. When I think about "the final frontier," I don't think about a last grand stand; I think about an ever-expanding horizon.That's how the phrase is used in the Star Trek series--Space--The Final Frontier--a new avenue for exploration, not an end! Clearly, the editor disagrees with me, which is fine, but if the first four stories are that bleak, I don't think I'm the target audience for this collection,.

Next Up:

The Labyrinth of the Spirits by Carlos Ruiz Zafon

I was seriously considering getting this in Spanish, when I saw that it came into my library! I was first on the list, naturally! :-)

Comments

CG @ Paper Fury said…
Ohh that cake book looks AMAZING! I love cakes.😂 And I really want to read a Donna Tartt book eventually but they're pretty big so I'm just working up the courage ahah.
@CG Highly recommend American Cake!! And Donna Tartt has gorgeous writing, you just have to ignore the hugeness and dive in!

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Best Books I Read in 2025

 Woof. This was--I guess kind of an average reading year? Mostly good or decent reads, a few mediocre ones or ones that weren't for me. The books I'm including below are the ones I've thought about most this year--particularly The Feather Thief and Better Living Through Birding --it's hard to imagine I only read them in 2025! I guess I'm officially a nonfiction fan now. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Best Books I Read in 2025 Thistlefoot by GennaRose Nethercott--I loved Baba Yaga as a kid and I love this modern, Jewish take on the story The Feather Thief: Beauty, Obsession, and the Natural History Heist of the Century by Kirk W. Johnson--I'd recommend this to anyone. Just a fascinating story--I never knew how much I wanted to know about fly-tying and the mystery of dead nineteenth century birds Sunrise on the Reaping by Suzanne Collins--Another gut-wrenching Hunger Games triumph--and maybe unfortunately one more for our times  Lessons in Magic and Disaster by Charlie ...