Skip to main content

March Wrap-Up

Books Read
1. Ruin of Kings by Jenn Lyons
2. The Priory of the Orange Tree by Samantha Shannon
3. The Bear and the Nightingale by Katherine Arden
4. The Girl in the Tower by Katherine Arden
5. Empire of Sand by Tasha Suri
6. Yes Please by Amy Poehler
7. The Bookshop on the Corner by Jenny Colgan
8. The Truths We Hold by Kamala Harris
9. Outer Order Inner Calm by Gretchen Rubin

Favorite Book(s) This Month
1. Ruin of Kings:
 I LOVED the footnotes and the message about how slavery infects society. Incredibly well done fantasy.
2. The Bear and the Nightingale: Beautiful, Russian fairy-tale atmosphere--I don't know why twists on Russian fairy tales are so popular in fantasy right now, but I'm here for it!
3. Empire of Sand: Incredibly unique system where dance is a conduit for magic and only some people can do it. I also like the straight from frying pan into the fire type plot.











Places Traveled in Germany 
1. Tubingen
2. Stuttgart
3. Baden-Baden











Book Event This Month
I saw Gretchen Rubin speak in March. I've loved all of her books and this is the first time I got to see her in person-what a wonderful speaker! I want to know where she took classes! It was clear she knew her speech by heart but it sounded so authentic and she looked like she was really looking at each audience member. And perfect gestures. Very impressed. Her new book, Inner Order, Outer Calm, is more of a combination of tips on clutter from her other books, but useful for what it is.

Goods Baked
1. Hamantashen-I always use this recipe, but next year, I want to try something different! My favorite fillings for hamantashen are apricot and raspberry jam.

Comments

Judy Krueger said…
I loved The Bear and the Nightingale so hard. I need to finish the trilogy.

Popular posts from this blog

Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List

It's already mid-fall, so I've already read some of these, but I imagine I'll finish more before the fall is out! I'm reading quite widely these days--I seem to be reading 3-6 books at any given time, because of book clubs, yes, but also mood, format, and availability. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I received this ebook for review from LibraryThing, and I've never been quite so pleased with my choices! This was a hilarious ride from the get-go and crammed full of witchy Goth kid oddities and gore--a perfect Halloween read, and hopefully the beginning of a series! A Bridesmaid's Guide to Murder by Abigail Scott--Another ebook I received for review from LibraryThing--and whatever it is, books ending in "Guide to Murder" are killing it for me these days! (Let's not look too deep...) I'm not finished, but I'm loving it so far. Don't Forget to Write by Sara Go...

Cozy/Atmospheric Reads

I love this topic for rejoining Top Ten Tuesday!  I'm trying to lean in as much as possible to the coziness of fall and the upcoming winter season. I've done a lot better with that the last few years. Just because it isn't my favorite doesn't mean I can't enjoy it. Plus, some books I'm reading lately that are apropos for the Halloween atmosphere pervading my neighborhood this month at least.  Cozy/Atmospheric Reads Adenashire, a Cozy Fantasy Book Series by J. Penner--These books are the epitome of cozy fantasy with distinctive characters from a variety of creative fantasy backgrounds, including orcs, fennex, and gargoyles. The Bloodstained Key by Charity Rau--Not so cozy, but stiflingly atmospheric--a Gothic novel set inside a fairytale. The Unfortunate Side Effects of Heartbreak and Magic by Breanne Randall--Really captures the cozy atmosphere of a small town and a trove of magical family secrets. An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I don...

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...