Skip to main content

July Wrap-Up

Books Read This Month

  1. Stronger Than a Bronze Dragon by Mary Fan
  2. Thru-Hiking Will Break Your Heart by Carrot Quinn
  3. Save Me the Plums by Ruth Reichl
  4. The Home Edit by Clea Shearer and Joanna Teplin
  5. Whiskey in a Teacup by Reese Witherspoon
  6. Sweetbitter by Stephanie Danler

Favorite Books This Month


1. Stronger Than a Bronze Dragon by Mary Fan

Not only does STABD boast an incredible cover and apt acronym, but I just loved, loved, loved the protagonist, Anlei, and the steampunk China fantasy world. Character-building and world-building are the keys to my heart. Anlei is a warrior but she's also a talented performer, close with her sister, has some trouble relating to and trusting other people...she's just such a full complex character and, perhaps obviously, one that I related to. Furthermore, her partner-in-crime and eventual love interest, Tai, has quite a lot going on for him too, and his character is nearly as developed. The two get to know each other while riding in a stolen airship (!). The plot is similarly robust, and the Big Bad isn't quite as simple as it seems. For satisfying genre fantasy complete with a physically and emotionally powerful protagonist and freaking awesome technology, I highly recommend STABD!



2. Sweetbitter by Stephanie Danler

Sweetbitter absolutely blew me away with the patina of its prose. It seems written by someone simultaneously old and young, as Tess is. The unnamed narrator reminds me of The Stranger but then she evolves into a named powerful woman, taking charge of her own sensuality, life, and identity. This is an odd little gem, and I understand it's a hit show now on Starz, but I would highly recommend the book to anyone addicted to these magical melancholy meditations on coming of age.


Posts This Month


  1. May Wrap-Up
  2. June Wrap-Up
  3. Bookish and Not So Bookish Goals for July
  4. What I'm Reading Lately
  5. My Top (More Than) Ten Auto-Buy Authors
  6. What I'm Reading Now


How I Did On My July Goals

  1. Camp NaNoWriMo-Write 3,000 words!-I probably wrote 3,000 words, but did absolutely nothing with NaNoWriMo, so don't know for sure.
  2. Take weekend trips with friends-July 4th weekend in Ocean City is in the books; next up, visiting friends in Boston!-Yes! I succeeded at vacationing! 
  3. Swim-my parents' new house has a pool, so I've already been swimming more this summer than the past several years combined, and I hope to keep it up! I even bought a new swimsuit for the first time in 15 years.-I did a fair amount of swimming in Ocean City, but other than that, not much. 
  4. Spend a lot of time outside-The beach helped, I've been weeding outside, and walking my dogs. And wearing plenty of sunscreen!-Yes, i have been spending a lot of time outside: walking, taking care of my couple of plants, and reading. 
  5. Read at least 10 books--In previous years, I've averaged 4-5 books a month; this year has been more like 8-9. Since I have some time off this month, I think I can get in at least 10!-Due to unforeseen circumstances, I ended up reading even less this month than the rest of the year, but enjoyed some excellent quality reads and on my way to many more in August!
  6. Meditate-Yes. A lot of this. 
  7. Dance-Some of this. 
  8. Celebrate-have a birthday party! I haven't had a party since my 25th, but a) my 30th is definitely worth a party and b) ANY excuse to celebrate. Seriously. Life is short. We should have fun. -I had a party and I'm proud that I cleaned up my house finally and had some friends over. It was nice to see some people I haven't gotten to hang out with in a while. 

Comments

Judy Krueger said…
Glad you had such a great July! You read a variety of books as do I. I truly enjoy your blog.

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Best Books I Read in 2025

 Woof. This was--I guess kind of an average reading year? Mostly good or decent reads, a few mediocre ones or ones that weren't for me. The books I'm including below are the ones I've thought about most this year--particularly The Feather Thief and Better Living Through Birding --it's hard to imagine I only read them in 2025! I guess I'm officially a nonfiction fan now. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Best Books I Read in 2025 Thistlefoot by GennaRose Nethercott--I loved Baba Yaga as a kid and I love this modern, Jewish take on the story The Feather Thief: Beauty, Obsession, and the Natural History Heist of the Century by Kirk W. Johnson--I'd recommend this to anyone. Just a fascinating story--I never knew how much I wanted to know about fly-tying and the mystery of dead nineteenth century birds Sunrise on the Reaping by Suzanne Collins--Another gut-wrenching Hunger Games triumph--and maybe unfortunately one more for our times  Lessons in Magic and Disaster by Charlie ...