Skip to main content

August Wrap-Up

Books Read This Month

1. Man Fast by Natasha Scripture
2. You Are a Badass by Jen Sincero
3. Girls of Paper and Fire by Natasha Ngan
4. Incarceron by Catherine Fisher
5. Walden on Wheels by Ken Ilgunas
6. And When She Was Good by Laura Lippman
7. Miller's Valley by Anna Quindlen, narrated by Brittany Pressley
8. The Meditations by Marcus Aurelius
9. Magic for Liars by Sarah Gailey
10. Dear Mrs. Bird by A.J. Pearce, narrated by Anna Popplewell
11. Braving the Wilderness, written and narrated by Brene Brown

Favorite Books This Month






















How I Did On My Summer TBR

I finished four of the ten books on my summer TBR, and am currently reading a fifth, so not too bad!

Of those on the list, I finished Stronger Than a Bronze Dragon by Mary Fan, You Are a Badass by Jen Sincero, Sweetbitter by Stephanie Danler, and Girls of Paper and Fire by Natasha Ngan. I'm currently reading Redemption in Indigo by Karen Lord.

How I Did on My August Goals

  1. Read at least 5 books, including some I already own-Yes!
  2. Read at least one book for #WIT month (WIT stands for Women In Translation, and if you want to know more, check out Biblibio)-I started The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery, but I didn't get into it. Maybe I'll try again. 
  3. See how close I can get to finishing my summer TBR; I'm already well on my way!-See above!




Comments

Judy Krueger said…
Congratulations on your reading in August. I will be looking into some of the books you mention. My report is here: http://keepthewisdom.blogspot.com/2019/09/books-read-in-august.html if you would like to visit.

Popular posts from this blog

Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List

It's already mid-fall, so I've already read some of these, but I imagine I'll finish more before the fall is out! I'm reading quite widely these days--I seem to be reading 3-6 books at any given time, because of book clubs, yes, but also mood, format, and availability. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I received this ebook for review from LibraryThing, and I've never been quite so pleased with my choices! This was a hilarious ride from the get-go and crammed full of witchy Goth kid oddities and gore--a perfect Halloween read, and hopefully the beginning of a series! A Bridesmaid's Guide to Murder by Abigail Scott--Another ebook I received for review from LibraryThing--and whatever it is, books ending in "Guide to Murder" are killing it for me these days! (Let's not look too deep...) I'm not finished, but I'm loving it so far. Don't Forget to Write by Sara Go...

Cozy/Atmospheric Reads

I love this topic for rejoining Top Ten Tuesday!  I'm trying to lean in as much as possible to the coziness of fall and the upcoming winter season. I've done a lot better with that the last few years. Just because it isn't my favorite doesn't mean I can't enjoy it. Plus, some books I'm reading lately that are apropos for the Halloween atmosphere pervading my neighborhood this month at least.  Cozy/Atmospheric Reads Adenashire, a Cozy Fantasy Book Series by J. Penner--These books are the epitome of cozy fantasy with distinctive characters from a variety of creative fantasy backgrounds, including orcs, fennex, and gargoyles. The Bloodstained Key by Charity Rau--Not so cozy, but stiflingly atmospheric--a Gothic novel set inside a fairytale. The Unfortunate Side Effects of Heartbreak and Magic by Breanne Randall--Really captures the cozy atmosphere of a small town and a trove of magical family secrets. An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I don...

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...