| I'm a fan of C.G. Drews' ebullient book blog, Paper Fury, and I've been meaning to read her books. The Boy Who Steals Houses did not disappoint. The writing is as full of verve and squee as the blog, and the characters are, as promised, endearing and deep and complex. This book is really as much about Sam's brother Avery and their relationship as it is about Sam stealing houses, and it has some of the best autistic representation I've ever read, mostly because Avery's autism is a relevant sidebar, but not all of who he is. I also rarely get to read books set in Australia, which I should probably do more often. I highly recommend The Boy Who Steals Houses to those who like cozy family stories with dynamic characters. Note: I read this on Kindle, as I think that's the only way it's currently available in the US. However, Indiebound says a paperback is coming in June 2020. Cross-posted on Goodreads. |
I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Comments