Skip to main content

Jewish Holiday Books

Happy Top Ten Tuesday over at That Artsy Reader Girl!

Holiday-themed books aren't a tradition in Judaism the way they have become in American Christianity, and they're far from a cultural phenomenon. Furthermore, December is definitely not my holiday season. Yes, we have the minor festival of Hanukkah, but if we're really talking about a season, that would have been back in September-October with the High Holidays, Sukkot etc. That said, with a bit of digging, I managed to find some Hanukkah and other Jewish holiday books! I'm excited because I've never seen those books before and I've certainly never read any (re: not a Jewish phenomenon). However, here are some of the awesome books I found for all of my fellow Jews who are hunkering down amid this month of Christian festivities in the States.

Jewish Holiday Books and Stories

Hanukkah Romances (I haven't read any of these, but I'm glad they exist)

1. Eight Kisses: Eight All-New Tales of Holiday Romance by Mindy Klasky

2. "Eight Tiny Flames" by Crista McHugh in A Very Scandalous Holiday: Anthology

3. Hearts of Hanukkah by Eve Paludan

4. Lighting the Flames: A Hanukkah Story by Sarah Wendell

5. A Whole Latke Love: A Hanukkah Short Story by Jodi Payne

Jewish Holiday Kids' Books

6. Hershel and the Hanukkah Goblins (this is an old favorite picture book of mine)

7. The Mitzvah Gang and the Extraordinary Sukkah by Sarah Mazor (Jewish kids' book I found online)

8. Dreidels on the Brain by Joel Ben Izzy (a middle grade Hanukkah book)

9. Lights Out Shabbat by Sarene Shulimson

A Book I Should Probably Read

10. A Kosher Christmas: Tis the Season to Be Jewish by Joshua Eli Plaut


Comments

I've got another one for you - "Chanukah Guilt" by Ilene Schneider! My review is here: https://wp.me/pauSsa-h2
Thanks for sharing @Davida! I'm definitely interested in reading about a woman rabbi!
What a cool post! I haven't seen one like this today and it's needed.

Here are some holiday reads I would like to read: My Top Ten Tuesday.
P M Prescott said…
Wonderful list. https://pmprescottenterprises.wordpress.com/2019/12/03/top-ten-tuesday-winter-movies/
Judy Krueger said…
One of my reading groups used to read a holiday themed book in December (now we just have a party, ha ha.) Since we have a mixed group when it comes to religion we once tried to find books appropriate to Chanukah and it was tough. Thanks for doing this.
I love this list! Great selections and definitely glad to see other holidays being spotlighted! We did a take based on what characters we want to see at our holiday table because we couldn't come up with holiday books!!
Lydia said…
I really need to read Eight Kisses. It sounds delightful. :)

My TTT.
Wendy said…
Yeah, I've been thinking a bit about how much we push Christmas --even the secular components of it--everywhere, and how unwelcoming that is for others. I went with a snow/cold theme for my books.

My kids really liked the picture book Latkes and Applesauce when they were little, so that's my contribution!
Thanks so much for the kind and thoughtful comments, everyone!
Yes, a much-needed list! Thank you so much for sharing!

My TTT
Ooh, so many great picks! I like how you approached and changed this weeks topic. Thank you for sharing!

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Best Books I Read in 2025

 Woof. This was--I guess kind of an average reading year? Mostly good or decent reads, a few mediocre ones or ones that weren't for me. The books I'm including below are the ones I've thought about most this year--particularly The Feather Thief and Better Living Through Birding --it's hard to imagine I only read them in 2025! I guess I'm officially a nonfiction fan now. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Best Books I Read in 2025 Thistlefoot by GennaRose Nethercott--I loved Baba Yaga as a kid and I love this modern, Jewish take on the story The Feather Thief: Beauty, Obsession, and the Natural History Heist of the Century by Kirk W. Johnson--I'd recommend this to anyone. Just a fascinating story--I never knew how much I wanted to know about fly-tying and the mystery of dead nineteenth century birds Sunrise on the Reaping by Suzanne Collins--Another gut-wrenching Hunger Games triumph--and maybe unfortunately one more for our times  Lessons in Magic and Disaster by Charlie ...