Skip to main content

Authors I've Read the Most Books By

When I have a favorite author, I tend to go all in, and some of my favorites have quite substantial oeuvres. Most of my most-read authors are still from children's book series, but I'm starting to build libraries of my adult favorites too!

Authors I've Read The Most Books By


  1. William Shakespeare-25 plays, two epic poems, and a lot of sonnets--------------------------having attended grade school where I was required to read at least one Shakespeare play a year since seventh grade and been an English major in college, it's not surprising that Shakespeare is my most-read author. What is surprising is, I still have more to go
  2. Marilyn Kaye-the Replica series-24ish books (I think I skipped one or two)--------------------------I read this series completely from beginning to end. I think there were was maybe a second series later but I didn't read any of those. I loved these science fiction-y books centering a preteen girl who finds out she's a genetically engineered clone, but don't know anyone else who read them.
  3. Ann M. Martin -The Babysitters' Club and The Babysitters' Club Little Sister series--------I'm not sure how many of these I read, but it was a lot. At one point, I owned at least 10 of them, and I know I read many more. I'll put a conservative estimate at 20 books.
  4. Madeleine L'Engle 17 books---------------------------------------------------------------------------------I've loved Madeleine L'Engle since the first time I read A Wrinkle in Time when I was about 7 or 8, and I've been reading her children's and adult books since then. Still more to go!
  5. K.A. Applegate--the Animorph series---looking over the lists of these, I think maybe I read no more than 10 of them, though it felt like more. I know I read them all out of order and I didn't read the end of the series.
  6. L.M. Montgomery--11 books---I loved the Anne of Green Gables series, so I followed that up with the Emily trilogy, some of her standalones, and a book of her short stories. Still a few more to go!
  7. C.S. Lewis--11 books--The Chronicles of Narnia, the Space Trilogy, and The Screwtape Letters
  8. N.K. Jemisin--8 books--finally, something I did not mostly accomplish in my youth! I've read both Jemisin's trilogies, The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms and The Broken Earth, her short story collection How Long 'Til Black Future Month? and the first in her latest series, The City We Became.
  9. Jane Austen--6 books--there only are 6 complete Austen novels, of course. Someday, I'll read Sandition. 
  10. The American Girl books--each girl had only 6 books, so I may have read only 6 books by any given author, but I read all of Felicity, Addy, Kirsten, Molly, Samantha, and Josefina!

Comments

curlygeek04 said…
I've read a lot of N.K. Jemisin, and I'm really looking forward to reading her latest book.
RS said…
Wow, that's a nicely rigorous Shakespeare curriculum. I had 4 plays assigned in high school, and then after 2 years I successfully fought my way into a Shakespeare class in college to get 6 more, but I find him tough to read without the structure of academic study around it.

We have a lot in common on this list -- I haven't always read as many, but Kaye (whom I've actually never heard of) and Jemisin are the only ones I haven't read at all. I definitely can't count the number of random BSC books I've read, but Animorphs is one of the few series I definitely read in order. I don't believe I missed more than 10 along the 54-book path, and there were a couple of supplemental "Chronicles" books and super-sized editions to bolster it.

I loved American Girl, too. I aged out before Josefina came along, but I read all the others.
Lydia said…
William Shakespeare is a great choice!

My TTT .
Judy Krueger said…
We would have gotten along well as readers when we were kids!
I’ve read most of Jane Austen’s books too. I’d like to read more Shakespeare. I read a lot of his stuff in high school and college, but I don’t remember most of it.

Aj @ Read All The Things!

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Best Books I Read in 2025

 Woof. This was--I guess kind of an average reading year? Mostly good or decent reads, a few mediocre ones or ones that weren't for me. The books I'm including below are the ones I've thought about most this year--particularly The Feather Thief and Better Living Through Birding --it's hard to imagine I only read them in 2025! I guess I'm officially a nonfiction fan now. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Best Books I Read in 2025 Thistlefoot by GennaRose Nethercott--I loved Baba Yaga as a kid and I love this modern, Jewish take on the story The Feather Thief: Beauty, Obsession, and the Natural History Heist of the Century by Kirk W. Johnson--I'd recommend this to anyone. Just a fascinating story--I never knew how much I wanted to know about fly-tying and the mystery of dead nineteenth century birds Sunrise on the Reaping by Suzanne Collins--Another gut-wrenching Hunger Games triumph--and maybe unfortunately one more for our times  Lessons in Magic and Disaster by Charlie ...