Skip to main content

Sunday Salon

I've done a fair amount of reading this week, but, most exciting, I finished the first draft of my book yesterday!

Reading This Week
  • Finished Your Perfect Year by Charlotte Lucas. I got the ebook for free from Amazon on World Book Day. I got started on #WIT (Women in Translation) month a little early this year. This book is translated from German and takes place in Hamburg, and I really enjoyed it. The story centers around a pre-filled planner for a perfect year, discovered by a man named Jonathan, who finds himself drawn to following the events written out in the planner. Meanwhile, we also see the story of Hannah, whose place in the story gradually becomes clear. I love this idea of a pre-planned year and it's definitely a fun and thoughtful read. 
  • This week, I also finally got a couple of new-to-me magazines that I subscribed to recently, Real Simple and Better Homes & Gardens. Although I probably wouldn't have had time for them in the pre-pandemic era, I really enjoyed essentially getting to scroll Pinterest or read Apartment Therapy without having to be online. 
Watching This Week

  • This week, I watched a few Netflix original movies like The Lovebirds and Desperados. The Lovebirds was pretty good--a floundering couple finds themselves in the middle of a murder mystery--maybe not quite the thing these days, but the chemistry between Issa Rae and Kumail Nanjiani is pretty good and it's a pretty hilarious ride. 
  • Even though I love New Girl, Nasim Pedrad and Lamorne Morris, who play Aly and Winston, have surprisingly bad chemistry in Desperados? I just wasn't feeling it at all. Nasim is a compelling lead, and I would definitely watch her in the lead again, but the plot and mainly that main romance chemistry just fell flat. Maybe it's because Lamorne was playing kind of a straight man character and that just didn't work for him. I don't know.
  • I also finally watched the rest of Say I Do, which is basically a wedding version of Queer Eye and equally heart-rending. Why can't we just make everybody's dreams come true, y'all? Just all of the queer feels...in the last episode, they feature a gay couple whose families are not really supportive and it gets so real in a way that I've never seen on TV before. Maybe because it's a reality show and it's real life stories and because one of the "gay fairy godmothers", Thai Nguyen, who is the incredible artist behind the wedding dresses and outfits in the show shares his story, but it's about how parents and families' and cultural attitudes toward gay people feels and affects people when they're told they don't exist, should tone it down, can't kiss in public, are going to be "the gay guy" etc. It HURTS. So many people erase themselves or parts of themselves because of their parents or how they're raised. I hope we can get rid of the idea of keeping tradition for tradition's sake and really examine the ideas and messages we are passing along to our children, even unconsciously. 

Writing This Week

  • I finished the first draft of the manuscript I started in November! 60, 886 words, currently, only about 4k of which I wrote this month. Now, on to revisions...I at least have some ideas to start with :-?


Comments

Woo hoo! You finished your first draft! That's wonderful news. Most people never get that far, and now you've done it. You've accomplished the hardest thing in writing a book.

I liked the idea of Perfect Year so much that I looked it up on Amazon. When I saw it was only $1.99, I clicked Buy Now. I hope you get a commission. In any case, thank you for sharing it. I think it will be the first thing I'll read after Paris in July is over.

I'd love to find a good tv show. We are watching old Seinfelds that I checked out from the library. Very amusing.

Have a good week.
Thanks, Deb! I hope you enjoy Your Perfect Year as much as I did!
I’ve been meaning to watch The Lovebirds, I love Kumail Nanjiani.

Well done on finishing your first draft, that’s brilliant.

Have a good week.
*high five from far away*
Yay for first drafts!
I’ve been watching Stumptown that stars ‘Nick’ and it took me a while to stop seeing him.
Congrats on that first draft.

Wishing you a great reading week
Thanks everyone! Shelleyrae, I haven't seen Stumptown, but I bet it would be hard to stop seeing him as Nick!
Judy Krueger said…
Congrats on finishing your draft! Neil Gaiman says in his advice to writers to "finish things."

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Best Books I Read in 2025

 Woof. This was--I guess kind of an average reading year? Mostly good or decent reads, a few mediocre ones or ones that weren't for me. The books I'm including below are the ones I've thought about most this year--particularly The Feather Thief and Better Living Through Birding --it's hard to imagine I only read them in 2025! I guess I'm officially a nonfiction fan now. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Best Books I Read in 2025 Thistlefoot by GennaRose Nethercott--I loved Baba Yaga as a kid and I love this modern, Jewish take on the story The Feather Thief: Beauty, Obsession, and the Natural History Heist of the Century by Kirk W. Johnson--I'd recommend this to anyone. Just a fascinating story--I never knew how much I wanted to know about fly-tying and the mystery of dead nineteenth century birds Sunrise on the Reaping by Suzanne Collins--Another gut-wrenching Hunger Games triumph--and maybe unfortunately one more for our times  Lessons in Magic and Disaster by Charlie ...