Skip to main content

September Wrap-Up

I didn't initially think this would be a big reading month since I've been so busy with returning to work, which really cut down on my reading in August. It's still maybe nothing to brag about, but not only did I read more than last month, but I'm currently in the middle of a book I'm really enjoying, My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry by Fredrik Backman, and that's the best gift this month could give me!

I finished FOUR book club reads this month, two for my clubs this month and two for next. The Bookshop of Yesterdays was my own suggestion, since I loved the author's more recent The Imperfects. The latter book was definitely better as, you know, one would hope for a second book, but The Bookshop of Yesterdays was a fun read. I found the mystery element so predictable that it spoilt my enjoyment of the book, but in the end, who can't love a book with a protagonist Miranda, a Prospero Books, and endless circle of literary references to spare? This month, I also read "Speech Sounds," by Octavia Butler, available online, in celebration of her well-deserved turn on the NYT Bestsellers list. Honestly, I can't believe she hadn't made it before. She's one of my favorite authors, and for better or worse, she had a witheringly acute sense of human nature...even though she always let hope seep through her prophetic dystopian scenarios. 

Read This Month

  1. A Bend in the Stars by Rachel Barenbaum
  2. "Speech Sounds" a short story by Octavia Butler
  3. The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek by Kim Michele Richardson
  4. About My Mother by Peggy Rowe
  5. The Bookshop of Yesterdays by Amy Meyerson


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List

It's already mid-fall, so I've already read some of these, but I imagine I'll finish more before the fall is out! I'm reading quite widely these days--I seem to be reading 3-6 books at any given time, because of book clubs, yes, but also mood, format, and availability. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I received this ebook for review from LibraryThing, and I've never been quite so pleased with my choices! This was a hilarious ride from the get-go and crammed full of witchy Goth kid oddities and gore--a perfect Halloween read, and hopefully the beginning of a series! A Bridesmaid's Guide to Murder by Abigail Scott--Another ebook I received for review from LibraryThing--and whatever it is, books ending in "Guide to Murder" are killing it for me these days! (Let's not look too deep...) I'm not finished, but I'm loving it so far. Don't Forget to Write by Sara Go...

Cozy/Atmospheric Reads

I love this topic for rejoining Top Ten Tuesday!  I'm trying to lean in as much as possible to the coziness of fall and the upcoming winter season. I've done a lot better with that the last few years. Just because it isn't my favorite doesn't mean I can't enjoy it. Plus, some books I'm reading lately that are apropos for the Halloween atmosphere pervading my neighborhood this month at least.  Cozy/Atmospheric Reads Adenashire, a Cozy Fantasy Book Series by J. Penner--These books are the epitome of cozy fantasy with distinctive characters from a variety of creative fantasy backgrounds, including orcs, fennex, and gargoyles. The Bloodstained Key by Charity Rau--Not so cozy, but stiflingly atmospheric--a Gothic novel set inside a fairytale. The Unfortunate Side Effects of Heartbreak and Magic by Breanne Randall--Really captures the cozy atmosphere of a small town and a trove of magical family secrets. An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I don...