Skip to main content

Book Review: How to Think Like Shakespeare by Scott Newstok


Scott Newstok’s new book, How to Think Like Shakespeare: Lessons from a Renaissance Education, makes a seemingly radical proposition: what if we returned to the teaching methods of Shakespeare’s day?

No, Newstok isn’t advocating corporal punishment, Greek and Latin translations, or the endless rote memorization that Shakespeare himself mocked.

However, Shakespeare’ s genius, Newstok claims, can be nurtured, and he, professor of English and founding director of the Pearce Shakespeare Endowment at Rhodes College in Tennessee, knows how.

The specious-sounding treatise examines less the brain waves in the Bard's head than the methods that shaped his education. Although organized into fourteen short chapters (a number upon which the introduction spends nearly two pages philosophizing), the book tends to hit you over the head with its erudition, but that's part of its charm.

Newstok’s prodigious use of quotes, which extends from the Table of Contents to the Index, at first caught me in a sense of overwhelm. I'm an academic, but I was expecting this to be more in the popular non-fiction realm. Instead, there's footnotes on every page and a realm of thinkers from John Donne to Bob Dylan chiming in for more than their fair share of lines. However, once you get past the jarring quantity, the charm strikes. Newstok chooses quotes that are so delightful you could be wrapped up in any one of them for at least the length of the chapter, and Newstok’s glosses, especially those on Shakespeare, are tiny jewel boxes of learning sprinkled throughout—such as this one that forms the core of his argument about the glovemaker’s son:

The trickster Autolycus [from The Winter’s Tale] knows so well how to size up his songs to his duped marks that he can sell them better than any milliner can so fit his customers with gloves [italics his].

                                                                                                    (40)

Shakespeare, Newstok explains, learned to think by doing, like his contemporary Christopher Marlowe, by growing up with a craftsman father. He learned that completion of a task meant first many steps of a process, and also that each product must be fitted to the customer. There was no fast fashion in Shakespeare’s day. He learned to adapt to each situation, each audience, just as I teach rhetoric today in my college classes.

Although I think Newstok does not acknowledge enough that many contemporary education researchers back his propositions, and indeed, many college English professors use the methods he advocates, his main point about the current state of K-12 education, which he experienced firsthand with his kids in the Tennessee education system, stands.

More hands-on learning and less teaching to the test has become a more common rallying cry these days in resistance to Common Core. There is also the slightly incongruous fact that Newstok argues against the trend toward technical training in colleges by extolling the trade apprenticeships of the past, but he does have a point. Apprenticeships model in-the-moment thinking, as opposed to rote skills learned in the classroom that may be outdated by the time one reaches the workplace. Learning to think, as Newstok demonstrates Shakespeare and his contemporaries as well as his Greek and Roman intellectual ancestors did, Newstok insists, is the most important skill one can learn in school, and Newstok shows how it can be taught using the seemingly counterintuitive methods of Shakespeare’s day—learning creativity through imitating others, innovation through the constraints of, say, a fourteen-line poem, and freedom in reaction to forced canonical classroom reading.

 In his wild enthusiasm for common cultural stock is where Newstok and I diverge, since I’ve come to realize the existing Western literary canon largely consists of people (men) unlike me. I don’t disagree with the idea of all common cultural stock in theory, in fact, Shakespeare, I think, continues to be a useful cultural reference, but the current canon in the United States is sadly skewed, and I support classroom efforts to diversify reading. Then again, I am someone who has “benefited” from a liberal arts education based on the previous canon, and so perhaps I cannot say what the effects of the reading list for this next generation will be. I put benefited in quotes above, although the benefits in some cases are quite tangible: I’ve had high grades, graduated with an English degree magna cum laude, and hold a master’s degree. The latter has enabled me to teach and lends me credibility in all the work I do. However, the benefits have also subtracted from my life. I, a white Jewish woman, have learned to internalize the perspectives of older white Christian men. My own perspective, I am teaching myself to learn, to advocate, to create, because I have never seen it centered in canonical literature. Maybe that’s what Newstok means by freedom through constraint, but it certainly puts an undue burden on those who differ most from the central canon of authors. So, sure, let’s have a canon—but make it balanced.

As evidenced, Newstok’s book induces plenty of thinking, and it’s not all about Shakespeare. Although Shakespeare forms the centerpiece of his argument and shiniest of his glosses, Newstok summons at least four centuries' worth of thought to bolster his proposal to return to a few of the teaching methods of Shakespeare's day. While this premise may seem antiquated, it jibes with what many education researchers will tell you--students need more hands-on learning and less teaching to the test. After all, Newstok reminds us, the scientific method was born of the same system that produced the playwriting genius. Perhaps we need more thinkers like Newstok.

Received for review from the author. Opinions are my own.


Comments

Judy Krueger said…
So interesting! I think I probably like your review even better than I would like the book. It sounds like it centers on issues I have long considered about education. "I have learned to internalize the perspectives of older white Christian men" is something I struggle with everyday in life, as a reader and as a writer.
Thanks, Judy! The first step is realizing it :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Books with Single-Word Titles

Happy Top Ten Tuesday over at That Artsy Reader Girl! Books with Single-Word Titles These are all my favorite books that I could think of with one-word titles. A lot of fantasy, a few nonfiction (minus subtitles) and Kindred , whether you consider it scifi or historical fiction. Also two portmanteaus using the word "bitter." I suppose it's a word that lends itself to amelioration. 1. Sweetbitter by Stephanie Danler 2. Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore 3. Fire by Kristin Cashore 4. Heartless by Marissa Meyer 5. Inheritance by Christopher Paolini 6. Meditations by Marcus Aurelius 7. Stoned by Aja Raden (has a subtitle) 8. Educated by Tara Westover 9. Fledgling by Octavia Butler 10. Kindred by Octavia Butler

Feliz Ano Nuevo!

Speaking of cultures and society, I leave for Spain on January 9. Instead of continuing as a book blog with a specific goal for number of books to read in a year, Space Station Mir will become a chronicle for my adventures in Spain. Expect a post for each new place that I visit, with pictures! I also plan to continue reviewing books, however I will not make a set goal for number of books to read this year. I do pledge myself to read at least one book in Spanish that was not assigned for a class. In terms of my goals for 2009, I was not diligent enough in keeping track of them. Looking back, I've fulfilled some of them and not others. The greatest trend in my reading this year, which marks a huge deviation for me, is that I've read more non-fiction than I think I've read any other year in my life. I've finally developed the ability to sustain interest in non-fiction other than biographies. For a while, biographies were the only non-fiction I ever read, with the exception

Most Recent Books I Did Not Finish

 I feel like I've been DNFing a fair amount lately, mostly with review books. I feel obligated to read review books longer than I would if they were books I just picked up on my own. That said, I have a caveat in my Book Review Policy  that if I feel I am not the right audience for the book, I won't post a review. I try to avoid that by only picking books I genuinely think I will enjoy, but of course I can't always predict that before I read. Also, while book clubs have been a great way to get exposed to books I wouldn't normally read, tastes will differ and every once in a while, I find a book I'm just not willing to finish. I also want to say no shade to the authors or anyone who enjoyed these books--they just weren't for me. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Most Recent Books I Did Not Finish 1. Caribbean Competitors by Poppy Minnix--LibraryThing review--This one sounded great and has a beautiful cover, but while the island setting was compelling, I just couldn't ge