Skip to main content

Top Ten Books I'd Like for Hanukkah

Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Hanukkah starts next Thursday night, so I decided to put this list out to the powers that be this week. I'd been carefully cultivating this list for a while, and then I added the last half of it in one go, and discovered that all I really want right now is cookbooks, or more accurately, food history. That might not have been all I wanted in the past or all I want in the future, but hey, all we have is the present. We are who we are right now, and if we didn't already know that, many of us have had to learn this year.

Top Ten Books I'd Like for Hanukkah

  1. Deacon King Kong by James McBride
  2. Man Fast by Natasha Scripture
  3. The Raven Boys box set by Maggie Stiefvater
  4. Walden by Henry David Thoreau, a trade paperback so I can write in the margins
  5. Devotions by Mary Oliver
  6. The Jewish Cookbook by Leah Koenig and Julia Turshen
  7. Vegetable Kingdom by Bryant Terry
  8. Zahav by Michael Solomonov
  9. Sababa by Adeena Sussman
  10. The Jemima Code by Toni Tipton-Martin

Comments

Lydia said…
Happy early Hanukkah!

I love Mary Oliver's poetry. I hope you get all of the books on this list.

My post.
Judy Krueger said…
What a great list! I hope you get all of them.
iloveheartlandX said…
Happy early Hanukkah! I hope you get some of these :)
My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2020/12/01/top-ten-tuesday-292/
I especially hope you get Walden and Devotions! Happy (early) Hanukkah!
I loved The Raven Boys, so I hope that one makes its way to you! Happy Hanukkah!
I'm the same way this year! Cookbooks and food history have taken a lot of my bookish focus. The Jemima Code is brilliant.

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Best Books I Read in 2025

 Woof. This was--I guess kind of an average reading year? Mostly good or decent reads, a few mediocre ones or ones that weren't for me. The books I'm including below are the ones I've thought about most this year--particularly The Feather Thief and Better Living Through Birding --it's hard to imagine I only read them in 2025! I guess I'm officially a nonfiction fan now. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Best Books I Read in 2025 Thistlefoot by GennaRose Nethercott--I loved Baba Yaga as a kid and I love this modern, Jewish take on the story The Feather Thief: Beauty, Obsession, and the Natural History Heist of the Century by Kirk W. Johnson--I'd recommend this to anyone. Just a fascinating story--I never knew how much I wanted to know about fly-tying and the mystery of dead nineteenth century birds Sunrise on the Reaping by Suzanne Collins--Another gut-wrenching Hunger Games triumph--and maybe unfortunately one more for our times  Lessons in Magic and Disaster by Charlie ...