Skip to main content

2020 End of Year Survey


 2020 Reading Stats

As usual, borrowed and modified from the sadly now discontinued Boston Bibliophile.

How many books read in 2020? 60, which I hit just in time. Last year, I read 89, and the year before 73, both record-breakers for me, and...I am so freaking proud of myself for what I've been able to accomplish this year. 

How many fiction and nonfiction? 36 fiction, 24 nonfiction

Female/male/nonbinary author ratio? 50 female, 10 male, including one collection of short stories with female, male, and nonbinary authors

Writers of Color/Minority Writers? 14 books by writers of color,  9 books by Jewish authors, at least three by LGBTQ writers, and more including some of the writers in the short story collection

Favorite book of 2020? Middlemarch. I spent a long time reading and savoring it, especially in the uncertain days right after we were all told to go home and stay there. 

Longest and shortest books?

Longest:  Middlemarch by George Eliot, at 904 pages.

Shortest: Diving into the Wreck by Adrienne Rich, at 72 pages.

How many books from the library? 17. Pretty good, considering I couldn't access any physical books from the library for at least four months this year. 

Which countries did you go to through the page in your year of reading?

Germany, Britain, Sweden, Jeju Island in South Korea, fictionalized Syria, Cuba, France, and some distant planets.

Any translated books?

A few! Finally! I read books translated from Swedish, German, Spanish, and French this year--4 books in all. Better than most recent years. 

Most read author of the year, and how many books by that author?

Judy Blume! I read Summer Sisters and Deenie this year.

Any re-reads?

Yes, I reread The Amber Spyglass at the beginning of the year and in pandemic-land, I reread Diving into the Wreck by Adrienne Rich and You Are a Badass by Jen Sincero. 

Favorite character of the year?

Mona, from A Wizard's Guide to Defensive Baking. I also enjoyed Elsa, Granny, and "the Wurse" from My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry

Which book wouldn’t you have read without someone’s specific recommendation?

I read a lot of books this year for book clubs that I wouldn't have read otherwise: Blink by Malcolm Gladwell, Life Will Be The Death of Me by Chelsea Handler, The Rent Collector by Cameron Wright, Small Great Things by Jodi Piccoult

Which author was new to you in 2019 that you now want to read the entire works of?

Charlotte Lucas

Which books are you annoyed you didn't read?

None. I'm just focusing on reading for pleasure and that doesn't come with obligations

Did you read any books you have always been meaning to read?

Yes, I'd wanted to read Exit West for a while. I also got to read many books I had been waiting to come out like Detox Your Thoughts by Andrea Bonior, The Art of Showing Up by Rachel Miller, and Don't Overthink It by Anne Bogel. I'd also wanted to read The Art of Gathering by Priya Parker.

How many books did you read on your ereader?

7. That was the only way I could get some books out of the library for part of this year. 

Oldest book read? Middlemarch by George Eliot, pub. 1871

Newest? A Wizard's Guide to Defensive Baking by T. Kingfisher, pub. July 2020

How many SFF books did you read? 7. Wow, way down from 32 last year!

Comments

Judy Krueger said…
Great post! Great summary. I love your balance between reading for pleasure and reading what is important to you. Best wishes for great reading in 2021!

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Best Books I Read in 2025

 Woof. This was--I guess kind of an average reading year? Mostly good or decent reads, a few mediocre ones or ones that weren't for me. The books I'm including below are the ones I've thought about most this year--particularly The Feather Thief and Better Living Through Birding --it's hard to imagine I only read them in 2025! I guess I'm officially a nonfiction fan now. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Best Books I Read in 2025 Thistlefoot by GennaRose Nethercott--I loved Baba Yaga as a kid and I love this modern, Jewish take on the story The Feather Thief: Beauty, Obsession, and the Natural History Heist of the Century by Kirk W. Johnson--I'd recommend this to anyone. Just a fascinating story--I never knew how much I wanted to know about fly-tying and the mystery of dead nineteenth century birds Sunrise on the Reaping by Suzanne Collins--Another gut-wrenching Hunger Games triumph--and maybe unfortunately one more for our times  Lessons in Magic and Disaster by Charlie ...