Skip to main content

Books I'd Gladly Throw into the Ocean and Places in Books I'd Love to Live

I'm back for Top Ten Tuesday this week! Since I missed last week, I'm going to do a few from last week's list (Places in Books I'd Love to Live) and a few from this week's (Books I'd Gladly Throw into the Ocean). I think the latter has probably been well-documented on this blog, but I'll try to come up with some new ones. 

Books I'd Gladly Throw into the Ocean

1. Pamela by Samuel Richardson--Yeah, this might be my most hated book ever. It remains the only book I have literally thrown across a room. There were no oceans handy. The main character marries her employer-rapist. And this is supposed to be a good thing. Yeah. 18th century British values were NOT the best.

2. The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner--Yeah, I just can't with Faulkner. Not only do I not understand him, but I just have no desire to.

3. Observations on the Feeling of the Beautiful and the Sublime by Immanuel Kant--I read this for a literary theory class in college, and it's just, so, bad? Like, it was one of the most racist, essentialist pieces of drivel I have ever read, and I don't know why people are apparently sleeping on that.

4. Ship of Fools by Katherine Anne Porter--I wanted to like this because it was a successful novel by an early twentieth century American woman, but it was also basically just about categorizing and stereotyping all the different nationalities on the ship. Thus, it would be especially fitting to throw this one in the ocean.

Places in Books I'd Love to Live

1. Frances Mayes' Tuscany from Under the Tuscan Sun, after the villa is renovated, of course

2. Winterkeep, from Winterkeep by Kristin Cashore-some issues, sure, but telepathic blue foxes and telepathic sea cows, plus some fine universities

3. Redwall--the famous Redwall feasts, and the fine castles and dells--of course I would have to be shrunk to fit.

4. The Shire--a  classic, good places to eat, comfy homes in the hill, and you can even go boating if you're daring


Comments

Susan said…
The Shire definitely seems like an idyllic place to live!

Happy TTT!
Winterkeep definitely sounds like a fun place to live! Love how you combined the last 2 weeks prompts also

Here's my list: https://booksandbouquets.blogspot.com/2021/04/top-10-tuesday-books-id-gladly-throw.html
Lydia said…
I'd love to live in the Shire. Welcome back to TTT!

My post: https://lydiaschoch.com/top-ten-tuesday-books-id-gladly-throw-into-the-ocean/
Judy Krueger said…
I agree on Ship of Fools. It took forever to get going. Also I can't follow Kant!

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Best Books I Read in 2025

 Woof. This was--I guess kind of an average reading year? Mostly good or decent reads, a few mediocre ones or ones that weren't for me. The books I'm including below are the ones I've thought about most this year--particularly The Feather Thief and Better Living Through Birding --it's hard to imagine I only read them in 2025! I guess I'm officially a nonfiction fan now. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Best Books I Read in 2025 Thistlefoot by GennaRose Nethercott--I loved Baba Yaga as a kid and I love this modern, Jewish take on the story The Feather Thief: Beauty, Obsession, and the Natural History Heist of the Century by Kirk W. Johnson--I'd recommend this to anyone. Just a fascinating story--I never knew how much I wanted to know about fly-tying and the mystery of dead nineteenth century birds Sunrise on the Reaping by Suzanne Collins--Another gut-wrenching Hunger Games triumph--and maybe unfortunately one more for our times  Lessons in Magic and Disaster by Charlie ...