Skip to main content

21 Woman Authors From the Past 100 Years That Are Better Than JKR

Some dude on Twitter recently bemoaned the "canceling" of the "best woman author in 100 years," referring to J.K. Rowling. I haven't talked much about this publicly, since this is a grief that's been hard for me to deal with--many of my friends are still Harry Potter fans and I still have a nostalgic attachment, but I can't in good conscience continue to support anything that would monetarily benefit Rowling after her hurtful and damaging comments and actions against trans women. That said, this dude's comment is objectively laughable. Harry Potter had a huge influence on my millenial generation for sure, but there are so many women authors of more acclaim in the past 100 years; many of whom are better writers than JKR. So, if you are per chance looking for a list, here you go--and as I suspect, if many of you have some to add, please do so in the comments!


21 Woman Authors From The Past 100 Years That Are Better Than JKR
  1. Toni Morrison--Like have you HEARD of Toni Morrison?? Forget best woman author, she was considered the best living American author until her recent passing!
  2. Zora Neale Hurston--Ok--I haven't actually read her--But she is commonly regarded as one of the best American authors and routinely taught in schools!
  3. Ursula K. Le Guin--I love all of her anthropological sci-fi so much, and her fantasy is no sneeze either! And she wrote about wizarding school first. 
  4. Octavia Butler--Dawn is the best, but I love almost all of her work I've ever read (Patternmaster was, um, not a high point), and she could conceptually run circles around anyone, any day. 
  5. Charlie Jane Anders--Definitely view her as a present-day heir to Le Guin with City in the Middle of the Night, but also she writes really fun stuff like Victories Greater Than Death--so much intellect AND range AND plenty of crazy plot twists. 
  6. N.K. Jemisin--An heir to Butler in some of her writing about human reactions to apocalypse but also totally her own --NOBODY does voice like N.K. Jemisin.
  7. Becky Chambers--Her work is so fun but also penetratingly anthropological, and she can do tons of plot or practically no plot and still be amazing.
  8. Marge Piercy--SO much range--scifi, histfic, contemporary, and she's not afraid to go hard on the lifesaving importance of feminism. 
  9. bell hooks--yes, she wrote nonfiction, but if you want to talk about influential and brilliant women authors of the last 100 years, there is no list that should not include her.
  10. Margaret Atwood--Hello?? Commonly considered one of the best living women authors or just, you know, authors, The Handmaid's Tale was incredibly influential, although personally, the MaddAddam trilogy is my fav. 
  11. Maggie Stiefvater--You want to talk about someone who can write boarding school plus magic? Stiefvater's Gothic rural Virginia gives me the chills and makes me want to learn tarot. 
  12. Kristin Cashore--Epic fantasy with a deep core of compassion--you want to see young adults really dealing with their trauma and making the world a better place? Look no further.
  13. T. Kingfisher--I've only read the one book of hers, A Wizard's Guide to Defensive Baking, but she had me laughing the whole way.
  14. Diana Wynne Jones--Talk about incredibly influential in children's fantasy, going back several decades, from dragons to wizards to inspiring award-winning films like Howl's Moving Castle.
  15. Jenn Lyons--I only read the first book of her trilogy, but it's so intricately plotted and beautifully written that she deserves a spot.
  16. Rachel Hartman--Although I've read three of her books, I'm adding Hartman on the strength of her most recent book, Tess of the Road, an incredible and much improved fantasy reimagining of Tess of the D'Urbervilles, with so much depth and ache and beautiful writing.
  17. Catherynne M. Valente--I've read the Fairyland series, which is entrancing, especially in its use of vocabulary, but she has a deep oeuvre that's well known among fantasy lovers
  18. Elizabeth Bear--Similarly, I've only read a few of her deeply plotted fantasy novels, but Bear has a huge following in the fantasy world.
  19. Rae Carson--I read the YA Girl of Fire and Thorns series, but talk about fantasy character growth, and the wilds of this universe are way beyond anything HP could imagine.
  20. Marie Rutkoski--I love her beautiful writing but she also bravely explores issues of racial and ethnic warfare, conquest, and enslavement, and really grapples with those power dynamics.
  21. Kameron Hurley--A deep oeuvre in fantasy and science fiction and faces head-on radical issues of feminism, violence, and revolution in every single work.

P.S. As far as I know, all of the authors I've listed here identify as a woman, but I apologize if that is not the case, and if so, please let me know so I can correct it.

Comments

Marianne said…
I totally agree. I have always said, JKR has contributed a lot to get children reading, I experienced that in my sons' schools when helping out especially in the bookish part but I don't read that genre much. I read her first book, the others were taken on by my husband who thoroughly enjoyed them.

You are right, there are probably hundreds of other female authors that come before her in a list like that. I don't know all of the ones you listed but I have heard of most. And I definitely agree with those that I do know, Margaret Atwood and Toni Morrison, both brilliant writers.

My personal additions would be (in alphabetical order) Isabel Allende, Geraldine Brooks, Pearl S. Buck, A.S. Byatt, Tracy Chevalier, Nora Ephron, Marianne Fredriksson, Nadine Gordimer, Dörte Hansen, Victoria Hislop, Barbara Kingsolver, Mary Lawson, Hilary Mantel, Joyce Carol Oates, Elif Şafak, Mary Scott, Jane Smiley, Ahdaf Soueif, J.N. Stroyar, Donna Tartt, Rose Tremain, Alice Walker, Stefanie Zweig. I listed only those authors where I read and loved more than one book but probably have forgotten a few.

You can find all the books I read by those authors here.

Popular posts from this blog

Books with Single-Word Titles

Happy Top Ten Tuesday over at That Artsy Reader Girl! Books with Single-Word Titles These are all my favorite books that I could think of with one-word titles. A lot of fantasy, a few nonfiction (minus subtitles) and Kindred , whether you consider it scifi or historical fiction. Also two portmanteaus using the word "bitter." I suppose it's a word that lends itself to amelioration. 1. Sweetbitter by Stephanie Danler 2. Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore 3. Fire by Kristin Cashore 4. Heartless by Marissa Meyer 5. Inheritance by Christopher Paolini 6. Meditations by Marcus Aurelius 7. Stoned by Aja Raden (has a subtitle) 8. Educated by Tara Westover 9. Fledgling by Octavia Butler 10. Kindred by Octavia Butler

Feliz Ano Nuevo!

Speaking of cultures and society, I leave for Spain on January 9. Instead of continuing as a book blog with a specific goal for number of books to read in a year, Space Station Mir will become a chronicle for my adventures in Spain. Expect a post for each new place that I visit, with pictures! I also plan to continue reviewing books, however I will not make a set goal for number of books to read this year. I do pledge myself to read at least one book in Spanish that was not assigned for a class. In terms of my goals for 2009, I was not diligent enough in keeping track of them. Looking back, I've fulfilled some of them and not others. The greatest trend in my reading this year, which marks a huge deviation for me, is that I've read more non-fiction than I think I've read any other year in my life. I've finally developed the ability to sustain interest in non-fiction other than biographies. For a while, biographies were the only non-fiction I ever read, with the exception

Most Recent Books I Did Not Finish

 I feel like I've been DNFing a fair amount lately, mostly with review books. I feel obligated to read review books longer than I would if they were books I just picked up on my own. That said, I have a caveat in my Book Review Policy  that if I feel I am not the right audience for the book, I won't post a review. I try to avoid that by only picking books I genuinely think I will enjoy, but of course I can't always predict that before I read. Also, while book clubs have been a great way to get exposed to books I wouldn't normally read, tastes will differ and every once in a while, I find a book I'm just not willing to finish. I also want to say no shade to the authors or anyone who enjoyed these books--they just weren't for me. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Most Recent Books I Did Not Finish 1. Caribbean Competitors by Poppy Minnix--LibraryThing review--This one sounded great and has a beautiful cover, but while the island setting was compelling, I just couldn't ge