Skip to main content

Bookish and Not So Bookish Goals for 2022

 


Here we are firmly ensconced in the 2020s, and I have to say, I thought the '20s were going to be much more fun, instead of just exciting in the way that you're always on edge and not sure what to expect. One thing I've always been able to count on, however, is books, and so I will look back over my cautious goals from 2021 and proceed to continue with the hope that, whatever else, the books will go on.

2021-Bookish Goal

1. Read 52 books. As always, I'll intentionally include books by BIPOC and Jewish authors, but I want to leave room for rereads, reading lulls, and whatever happens.--I read 57 books (59 if we count the Grishaverse trilogy as three instead of one). 

2021-Non-Bookish Goal

2. Intentionally practice self-care.--I definitely did this, but could always do more. Although I do practice self-care most days, I don't have any consistent routines. I like that for now, but may want to change or at least have a dedicated time for self-care options in future. 

3. Do what I can do to help preserve our democracy--I didn't feel the need to do as much of this in 2021, probably because I was so exhausted from 2020. But I'm ramping up speaking up and donating when I can.

Bookish and Non-Bookish Goals for 2022

  1. Read 52 books. I'm going to leave it open again at a pretty achievable goal.
  2. Find new course theme texts for the course I teach--I've decided I want to keep the course theme, and I like the texts I've been using, but I want to try something new.
  3. Submit a piece of writing somewhere--I've done this a few times in recent years, and I even had a poem published last year, as well as a chapter in a book on the professional side. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List

It's already mid-fall, so I've already read some of these, but I imagine I'll finish more before the fall is out! I'm reading quite widely these days--I seem to be reading 3-6 books at any given time, because of book clubs, yes, but also mood, format, and availability. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I received this ebook for review from LibraryThing, and I've never been quite so pleased with my choices! This was a hilarious ride from the get-go and crammed full of witchy Goth kid oddities and gore--a perfect Halloween read, and hopefully the beginning of a series! A Bridesmaid's Guide to Murder by Abigail Scott--Another ebook I received for review from LibraryThing--and whatever it is, books ending in "Guide to Murder" are killing it for me these days! (Let's not look too deep...) I'm not finished, but I'm loving it so far. Don't Forget to Write by Sara Go...

Cozy/Atmospheric Reads

I love this topic for rejoining Top Ten Tuesday!  I'm trying to lean in as much as possible to the coziness of fall and the upcoming winter season. I've done a lot better with that the last few years. Just because it isn't my favorite doesn't mean I can't enjoy it. Plus, some books I'm reading lately that are apropos for the Halloween atmosphere pervading my neighborhood this month at least.  Cozy/Atmospheric Reads Adenashire, a Cozy Fantasy Book Series by J. Penner--These books are the epitome of cozy fantasy with distinctive characters from a variety of creative fantasy backgrounds, including orcs, fennex, and gargoyles. The Bloodstained Key by Charity Rau--Not so cozy, but stiflingly atmospheric--a Gothic novel set inside a fairytale. The Unfortunate Side Effects of Heartbreak and Magic by Breanne Randall--Really captures the cozy atmosphere of a small town and a trove of magical family secrets. An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I don...