Skip to main content

10 Amazing Books by Women Writers

 Happy International Women's Day! To celebrate, I'm doing a post on 10 amazing writers to check out if you haven't already. I've tried to range the gamut with authors from different backgrounds and identities, as well as different time periods and nationalities. These are all books I've loved. Hope you enjoy!


10 Amazing Books by Women Authors to Check Out
  1. The Galaxy, and the Ground Within by Becky Chambers--Perfect cozy scifi--if it were TV, it would be a bottle episode where a few characters from different species spend a few days contained together and learn as much about themselves as they do each other.
  2. The City in the Middle of the Night by Charlie Jane Anders--Such an amazingly realized world of how humans would adapt to a tidally locked planet, and the native alien culture.
  3. The Invisible Woman by Erika Robuck--Fictionalized true story of a woman with a wooden leg from Virginia who became a spy in WWII Europe.
  4. The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue by V.E. Schwab--Alternate history where a woman is cursed to be invisible but lives for 300 years...
  5. Your Perfect Year by Charlotte Lucas--Translated from German, story of a notebook with the perfect year planned out, the man who follows it, and the woman who wrote it.
  6. Stronger Than a Bronze Dragon by Mary Fan--Steampunk, awesome characters, set in a steampunk alternate history China.
  7. The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin--Brilliant evocative post-apocalyptic world and characters, highly recommend the whole trilogy.
  8. Middlemarch by George Eliot--A chunkster, but this got me through a lot of 2020, and I just love the incredibly detailed characters and society, especially Dorothea.
  9. North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell--This is deservedly her most famous book, but she doesn't get the attention of Jane Austen, and she should. The romance here is more nuanced and there is a lot of focus on the plight of factory workers--although the male lead is a factory owner!
  10. The Bondwoman's Narrative by Hannah Crafts--Absolutely brilliant fiction written by a formerly enslaved woman--this may or may not be similar to her own escape story. So glad it is now published (almost 100 years after it was written), but people don't talk about it enough.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List

It's already mid-fall, so I've already read some of these, but I imagine I'll finish more before the fall is out! I'm reading quite widely these days--I seem to be reading 3-6 books at any given time, because of book clubs, yes, but also mood, format, and availability. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I received this ebook for review from LibraryThing, and I've never been quite so pleased with my choices! This was a hilarious ride from the get-go and crammed full of witchy Goth kid oddities and gore--a perfect Halloween read, and hopefully the beginning of a series! A Bridesmaid's Guide to Murder by Abigail Scott--Another ebook I received for review from LibraryThing--and whatever it is, books ending in "Guide to Murder" are killing it for me these days! (Let's not look too deep...) I'm not finished, but I'm loving it so far. Don't Forget to Write by Sara Go...

Cozy/Atmospheric Reads

I love this topic for rejoining Top Ten Tuesday!  I'm trying to lean in as much as possible to the coziness of fall and the upcoming winter season. I've done a lot better with that the last few years. Just because it isn't my favorite doesn't mean I can't enjoy it. Plus, some books I'm reading lately that are apropos for the Halloween atmosphere pervading my neighborhood this month at least.  Cozy/Atmospheric Reads Adenashire, a Cozy Fantasy Book Series by J. Penner--These books are the epitome of cozy fantasy with distinctive characters from a variety of creative fantasy backgrounds, including orcs, fennex, and gargoyles. The Bloodstained Key by Charity Rau--Not so cozy, but stiflingly atmospheric--a Gothic novel set inside a fairytale. The Unfortunate Side Effects of Heartbreak and Magic by Breanne Randall--Really captures the cozy atmosphere of a small town and a trove of magical family secrets. An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I don...

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...