Skip to main content

Books Read in February 2023

February has been an okay reading month in terms of quantity but great for quality. I enjoyed Mary Jane, about a teenage girl growing up in 1970s Baltimore who becomes the nanny for a more freewheeling Jewish family. This was fun for our synagogue book club, many of whom can remember growing up in the Jewish neighborhoods in Baltimore (specifically NOT the WASP-y neighborhood where Mary Jane lives). Then, I whipped through the graphic novels that the TV show Heartstopper is based on--I like the TV show more but it's based deeply on this source material (down to exact lines and scenes) so it was fun to see that and get a sneak peek ahead at next season. Finally, I got to read Kristin Cashore's Seasparrow, which I feel so lucky to read so soon after the last book Winterkeep came out in 2021, and that it was such a chunkster (624 pages!). I hope she never stops writing this series, I love them all so much, and I'm glad I got to fall in love with the character of Hava for this one AND check in on Bitterblue, Adventure, Katsa, Bir/Fire, and ALL THE BLUE FOXES 😍😍😍

Books Read This Month
  1. Mary Jane by Jessica Anya Blau (book club read)
  2. Heartstopper Vols. 1-4 by Alice Oseman
  3. Seasparrow by Kristin Cashore

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List

It's already mid-fall, so I've already read some of these, but I imagine I'll finish more before the fall is out! I'm reading quite widely these days--I seem to be reading 3-6 books at any given time, because of book clubs, yes, but also mood, format, and availability. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I received this ebook for review from LibraryThing, and I've never been quite so pleased with my choices! This was a hilarious ride from the get-go and crammed full of witchy Goth kid oddities and gore--a perfect Halloween read, and hopefully the beginning of a series! A Bridesmaid's Guide to Murder by Abigail Scott--Another ebook I received for review from LibraryThing--and whatever it is, books ending in "Guide to Murder" are killing it for me these days! (Let's not look too deep...) I'm not finished, but I'm loving it so far. Don't Forget to Write by Sara Go...

Cozy/Atmospheric Reads

I love this topic for rejoining Top Ten Tuesday!  I'm trying to lean in as much as possible to the coziness of fall and the upcoming winter season. I've done a lot better with that the last few years. Just because it isn't my favorite doesn't mean I can't enjoy it. Plus, some books I'm reading lately that are apropos for the Halloween atmosphere pervading my neighborhood this month at least.  Cozy/Atmospheric Reads Adenashire, a Cozy Fantasy Book Series by J. Penner--These books are the epitome of cozy fantasy with distinctive characters from a variety of creative fantasy backgrounds, including orcs, fennex, and gargoyles. The Bloodstained Key by Charity Rau--Not so cozy, but stiflingly atmospheric--a Gothic novel set inside a fairytale. The Unfortunate Side Effects of Heartbreak and Magic by Breanne Randall--Really captures the cozy atmosphere of a small town and a trove of magical family secrets. An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I don...

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...