Skip to main content

Bookish Jobs I Would Do For Free

 Real talk--in the world I live in, there is no job I would do for free because I have to eat and keep a roof over my head. But if we lived in some kind of utopian Federation paradise where all our material needs were met regardless of income, these are the types of careers I would enjoy (and yes, I'm lucky that some of them have been or are similar to my actual careers!). 

Happy Top Ten Tuesday!

Bookish Jobs I Would Do For Free In a Universe Where My Material Needs Were Already Met


1. Writer--In this universe, it wouldn't matter if I got published or not, although I'm sure I would find ways to share my writing with friends and peers. I'd spend lots of time writing, researching, taking classes, honing my craft.

2. Bookseller--Although maybe in this mystical place the role would be more like Bookgiver or Book advisor? I loved my job as a bookseller and only left because it was minimum wage. It's so much fun to see all the books and shelve them and help people find books and discuss favorite books...

3. Editor--I'd love to help edit other writers and teach them, maybe join some kind of editing exchange where we edit each others' writing.

4. Teacher--I loved/love teaching--helping students learn to appreciate the value of writing and the power of stories. I was so lucky to get to do this--and again, left because *low wages*.

5. Librarian--Helping people find books--and also do research. And citations. Love this.

6. Tutor--Also loved writing tutoring. Would love to be able to have just a few students that I could really help over time.



Comments

Lydia said…
I loved tutoring, too! It’s so rewarding.

Here is my Top Ten Tuesday post.
Ahh, teaching. The salary really makes this hard to commit to, as well as a lot of other problems. It was so fulfilling to work with the kiddos though. I miss them still. :(

Here's a link to my post!
Susan said…
It's so sad that these jobs don't pay more, especially teaching. It takes special people to teach. You couldn't pay me enough to do it! LOL

Happy TTT!

Popular posts from this blog

Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List

It's already mid-fall, so I've already read some of these, but I imagine I'll finish more before the fall is out! I'm reading quite widely these days--I seem to be reading 3-6 books at any given time, because of book clubs, yes, but also mood, format, and availability. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I received this ebook for review from LibraryThing, and I've never been quite so pleased with my choices! This was a hilarious ride from the get-go and crammed full of witchy Goth kid oddities and gore--a perfect Halloween read, and hopefully the beginning of a series! A Bridesmaid's Guide to Murder by Abigail Scott--Another ebook I received for review from LibraryThing--and whatever it is, books ending in "Guide to Murder" are killing it for me these days! (Let's not look too deep...) I'm not finished, but I'm loving it so far. Don't Forget to Write by Sara Go...

Cozy/Atmospheric Reads

I love this topic for rejoining Top Ten Tuesday!  I'm trying to lean in as much as possible to the coziness of fall and the upcoming winter season. I've done a lot better with that the last few years. Just because it isn't my favorite doesn't mean I can't enjoy it. Plus, some books I'm reading lately that are apropos for the Halloween atmosphere pervading my neighborhood this month at least.  Cozy/Atmospheric Reads Adenashire, a Cozy Fantasy Book Series by J. Penner--These books are the epitome of cozy fantasy with distinctive characters from a variety of creative fantasy backgrounds, including orcs, fennex, and gargoyles. The Bloodstained Key by Charity Rau--Not so cozy, but stiflingly atmospheric--a Gothic novel set inside a fairytale. The Unfortunate Side Effects of Heartbreak and Magic by Breanne Randall--Really captures the cozy atmosphere of a small town and a trove of magical family secrets. An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I don...

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...