Skip to main content

Books Read in September 2023

September was a fairly good month for reads, especially since I had some opportunities to listen to an audiobook, which I don't often get anymore. I also finished the fourth book on September 30th, bumping up my stats for the month! As I have the past few months, I still have a few books that I'm reading simultaneously and partly through, including a couple of poetry books, which I find read better that way. 

Books Finished This Month

  1. You Could Make This Place Beautiful by Maggie Smith--It takes a lot longer to finish audiobooks (which I pretty much only listen to in the car) than when I used to commute but I got this because I had a couple trips this summer. I finished it up on the way home from the last one on Labor Day weekend. This is a memoir on Smith's marriage and divorce but it also reads like a manual on how to write (or not write) a memoir. She has repeating refrains about "the question at the center of this book" and the scenes that she is deciding to keep private, just for her family. She is also very much in conversation with other poets, authors, and musicians, mostly living ones like (but not limited to) the Mountain Goats and Naomi Shihab Nye. She includes some of her poetry and reads in her own voice. Highly recommended to fellow aspiring poets, writers, and memoirists. I also subscribe to her newsletter on writing craft, "For Dear Life with Maggie Smith," where she breaks down how she writes her poems, among other things. 
  2. Role Playing by Cathy Yardley--I was interested in this romance novel both because it features a romance that starts in an online roleplaying game and because the main characters are 48 and 50, respectively. This is an easy, quiet read that kind of feels like one of those social learning games or books, but for adults. I think we all need this more than we think, because it's comforting, and also because, what we think of us as normal isn't necessarily--in particular, one of these characters learns more about their own identity and relationships, and it really changes their life for the better. If you're looking for a cozy, mostly positive read--this is it.
  3. The Thread Collectors by Shaunna J. Edwards and Alyson Richman--This was a book club read, so sometimes harder to make myself read something I'm not necessarily feeling, but I don't regret it. This was a truly thoughtful and unique perspective on the Civil War from the points-of-view of a Jewish soldier and an African-American soldier in the Union Army and their respective Jewish and African-American sweethearts at home. If you like historical fiction, I highly recommend it.
  4. Have You Seen Luis Velez? by Catherine Ryan Hyde--Another book club read. This was an easy read; I finished it in a day. This would be a good read for middle or high school students, especially in a class where they could discuss the central issues of valuing human life and human connections. It reminded me a lot of the author's earlier book, Pay it Forward. As an adult, it was a little one-dimensional.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Books with Single-Word Titles

Happy Top Ten Tuesday over at That Artsy Reader Girl! Books with Single-Word Titles These are all my favorite books that I could think of with one-word titles. A lot of fantasy, a few nonfiction (minus subtitles) and Kindred , whether you consider it scifi or historical fiction. Also two portmanteaus using the word "bitter." I suppose it's a word that lends itself to amelioration. 1. Sweetbitter by Stephanie Danler 2. Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore 3. Fire by Kristin Cashore 4. Heartless by Marissa Meyer 5. Inheritance by Christopher Paolini 6. Meditations by Marcus Aurelius 7. Stoned by Aja Raden (has a subtitle) 8. Educated by Tara Westover 9. Fledgling by Octavia Butler 10. Kindred by Octavia Butler

Feliz Ano Nuevo!

Speaking of cultures and society, I leave for Spain on January 9. Instead of continuing as a book blog with a specific goal for number of books to read in a year, Space Station Mir will become a chronicle for my adventures in Spain. Expect a post for each new place that I visit, with pictures! I also plan to continue reviewing books, however I will not make a set goal for number of books to read this year. I do pledge myself to read at least one book in Spanish that was not assigned for a class. In terms of my goals for 2009, I was not diligent enough in keeping track of them. Looking back, I've fulfilled some of them and not others. The greatest trend in my reading this year, which marks a huge deviation for me, is that I've read more non-fiction than I think I've read any other year in my life. I've finally developed the ability to sustain interest in non-fiction other than biographies. For a while, biographies were the only non-fiction I ever read, with the exception

Most Recent Books I Did Not Finish

 I feel like I've been DNFing a fair amount lately, mostly with review books. I feel obligated to read review books longer than I would if they were books I just picked up on my own. That said, I have a caveat in my Book Review Policy  that if I feel I am not the right audience for the book, I won't post a review. I try to avoid that by only picking books I genuinely think I will enjoy, but of course I can't always predict that before I read. Also, while book clubs have been a great way to get exposed to books I wouldn't normally read, tastes will differ and every once in a while, I find a book I'm just not willing to finish. I also want to say no shade to the authors or anyone who enjoyed these books--they just weren't for me. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Most Recent Books I Did Not Finish 1. Caribbean Competitors by Poppy Minnix--LibraryThing review--This one sounded great and has a beautiful cover, but while the island setting was compelling, I just couldn't ge