Skip to main content

Reading Goals I Still Want to Accomplish in 2023

 I am well on my way or even done with some of my bookish goals for 2023 😁, while having barely completed or not even started others 😧. I would still like to complete these goals this year, so this is a good reminder to ramp up my efforts in the last quarter of 2023.

Happy Top Ten Tuesday!


Reading Goals I Still Want to Accomplish in 2023

  1. Read at least 36 books--I've done this already! I just completed 36 books at the end of September. This is way less than I've read in previous years, but I wanted to go easy on myself since I started a new job in the past year and change. 
  2. Read books I already own, library, or Kindle books.--Yup! I've gotten very good at this--I've read a lot of library books (ex. left), a few books I owned, and the only books I've bought were Kindle deals. 
  3. Read at least two books by women in translation.--Pretty sure I did not do this at all yet...
  4. Read at least 25% books by authors of color.--I have read some books by authors of color this year but I'm sure it's less than 25%. I need to work on this. 

Does anyone have any recommendations to get me to my still unfinished goals by 2024?

Comments

Emily said…
A great set of goals! I need to read more of my TBR and library books...

I also wanted to read more translated works. Last year I read a couple. Fish Swimming in Dappled Sunlight by Riku Onda was an interesting read.

Good luck with the rest of your goals!

Emily @ Budget Tales Book Blog
My post:
https://budgettalesblog.wordpress.com/2023/10/03/top-ten-tuesday-reading-goals-i-still-want-to-accomplish-before-the-end-of-the-year/
Pam said…
I've read 3 translated works this year. One by a woman is The Sunset Years of Agnes Sharp by Leonie Swann. One by a duo is Reykjavik by Ragnar Jonasson and Katrin Jakobsdottir.

Good luck reaching the rest of your goals!

Pam @ Read! Bake! Create!
https://readbakecreate.com/2023-reading-challenge-updates/
Lydia said…
Nice job on your goals so far.

I hope you’re enjoying your new role!

Here is my Top Ten Tuesday post.
Stephen said…
36 books is an interesting number. Any story behind it? And congrats for hitting it!
Aymee said…
You're doing great with your goals! Hope you can accomplish the others, too.

Here is our Top Ten Tuesday. Thank you!
Laurie said…
Good luck on acomplishing your reading goals! Currently I'm reading Thieves' Gambit and that's written by an author of color and has a black main character.

My TTT: https://laurieisreading.com/2023/10/03/top-ten-tuesday-how-am-i-doing-on-my-backlist-books/
Susan said…
It sounds like you're doing great on your goals. Good job! And good luck with the ones you're still working on.

Happy TTT!
Lectrice Vorace said…
Congrats on your accomplishments with your reading goals!

Here's my Top Ten Tuesday list!
Good luck! Reading more translated books is something I need to get better at.
Great list! Hope you are able to complete these goals!

Here’s my TTT

Rabbit Ears Book Blog: WORLD’S WEIRDEST BOOK BLOG!
Thanks for the comments, everyone! I've added all of your suggestions to my TBR! I look forward to seeing you accomplish all of your reading goals as well.

@Stephen--36 is a good luck number in Judaism--it's double chai* (18), which means life.

*ch pronounced like the Scottish "loch"
Anonymous said…
For women authors translated into English, try Muriel Barbery, Tove Jansson, or Astrid Lindgren.
Reading more of my own is always on my list. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List

It's already mid-fall, so I've already read some of these, but I imagine I'll finish more before the fall is out! I'm reading quite widely these days--I seem to be reading 3-6 books at any given time, because of book clubs, yes, but also mood, format, and availability. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I received this ebook for review from LibraryThing, and I've never been quite so pleased with my choices! This was a hilarious ride from the get-go and crammed full of witchy Goth kid oddities and gore--a perfect Halloween read, and hopefully the beginning of a series! A Bridesmaid's Guide to Murder by Abigail Scott--Another ebook I received for review from LibraryThing--and whatever it is, books ending in "Guide to Murder" are killing it for me these days! (Let's not look too deep...) I'm not finished, but I'm loving it so far. Don't Forget to Write by Sara Go...

Cozy/Atmospheric Reads

I love this topic for rejoining Top Ten Tuesday!  I'm trying to lean in as much as possible to the coziness of fall and the upcoming winter season. I've done a lot better with that the last few years. Just because it isn't my favorite doesn't mean I can't enjoy it. Plus, some books I'm reading lately that are apropos for the Halloween atmosphere pervading my neighborhood this month at least.  Cozy/Atmospheric Reads Adenashire, a Cozy Fantasy Book Series by J. Penner--These books are the epitome of cozy fantasy with distinctive characters from a variety of creative fantasy backgrounds, including orcs, fennex, and gargoyles. The Bloodstained Key by Charity Rau--Not so cozy, but stiflingly atmospheric--a Gothic novel set inside a fairytale. The Unfortunate Side Effects of Heartbreak and Magic by Breanne Randall--Really captures the cozy atmosphere of a small town and a trove of magical family secrets. An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I don...

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...