Skip to main content

Authors Who Live(d) In My State

 What a great Top Ten Tuesday topic! I'm proud to be a Marylander, and we have some excellent authors, past and present. Here's a collection of mostly living authors from my state, including some I actually know!


Authors Who Live(d) in Maryland

  1. Anne Tyler--The author of The Accidental Tourist and other quintessential Baltimore novels is one of the first authors I think of. I loved The Accidental Tourist; some of her other books less so, but she's definitely an institution.
  2. Edgar Allen Poe--He's so associated with Baltimore that the football team is named after his most famous poem. Probably our most famous local legend.
  3. Adrienne Rich--Not as famous as Poe, but definitely well known and one of my favorite poets; I think it's so cool that she's also from Maryland.
  4. Ta-Nehisi Coates--I didn't realize he was from Maryland, but he shows up high on a lot of lists; I haven't read him yet, but he's pretty famous.
  5. Frederick Douglass--Shamefully, he was enslaved in Baltimore, and his account of his early life takes place there and other locations in Maryland.
  6. Laura Lippmann--I'm not a huge fan and haven't read a ton of her work since she writes thrillers, but she's well-known and I love that her work takes place in a number of local settings.
  7. Ann Brashares--I loved all of the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants books growing up, and I especially loved that the protagonists lived in Maryland!
  8. Phyllis Reynolds Naylor--She wrote some classics we read in school like Shiloh and I also loved the Alice books growing up.
  9. Elissa Brent Weissman--She's a children's author who popped up when I searched "Maryland authors," and fun fact, I know her, we worked together one summer when her first book was just about to come out!
  10. Kelly Ann Jacobson--Also a Maryland author I know--I worked with her back when I taught community college. She had a couple books then, and looks like she's published more!

Comments

Anonymous said…
I wonder what all of these authors would think of each other? :)

Good list! Fun memory: I went with co-workers in the 1990s to Poe's grave at midnight.
Susan said…
Nice list! I've heard of most of these authors and have read some of their books.

Happy TTT!
I don't know--a lot of them have probably heard of each other.
Oh wow, that is so cool!

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Best Books I Read in 2025

 Woof. This was--I guess kind of an average reading year? Mostly good or decent reads, a few mediocre ones or ones that weren't for me. The books I'm including below are the ones I've thought about most this year--particularly The Feather Thief and Better Living Through Birding --it's hard to imagine I only read them in 2025! I guess I'm officially a nonfiction fan now. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Best Books I Read in 2025 Thistlefoot by GennaRose Nethercott--I loved Baba Yaga as a kid and I love this modern, Jewish take on the story The Feather Thief: Beauty, Obsession, and the Natural History Heist of the Century by Kirk W. Johnson--I'd recommend this to anyone. Just a fascinating story--I never knew how much I wanted to know about fly-tying and the mystery of dead nineteenth century birds Sunrise on the Reaping by Suzanne Collins--Another gut-wrenching Hunger Games triumph--and maybe unfortunately one more for our times  Lessons in Magic and Disaster by Charlie ...